Network Ten post-CBS

Sounds absolutely horrible. You must have missed the fact that when they tried to do that as a night time show it failed spectacularly.

11 Likes

Ahh yes, Kyle & Jackie Oā€™s Night With The Stars. That was a major ratings flop even though it aired on Seven and had The X Factor (which was pretty big back then) as itā€™s lead-in program! And there was also that late night show with Fitzy & Wippa on Ten a couple of years ago.

With the exception of guest/panellist roles, I donā€™t think too many major Australian radio personalities have had overly successful TV careers in recent years.

1 Like

Hamish and Andy?

1 Like

Not doing any type of news breakfast progamming would be a silly idea. A network wont just give upā€¦ they have to go for it for the long haul and stick with it. New viewers are watching/switching channels all the time! Its not about conquering the others its about getting more eye balls than if they were broadcasting repeats of family fued etc! News programs were cut at Ten as it was clashing with Murdochs Sky News which he was hoping Ten hahah!!

A breakfast show in the eveningā€¦thatā€™s different.

If you canā€™t get AM/PM right, maybe stick with 24 hour time format? :wink:

4 Likes

could call it Late Late Breakfast show hahahaha

3 Likes

So finally the ā€œAll Day Breakfastā€ can transition to TV?

4 Likes

Back in the early 1980s through to mid 1980s there was a show by the same name. It aired in the UK on Saturday nights

1 Like

Actually that is a great name for a breakfast tv show! All Day Breakfast. Classic.

2 Likes

Sorry to repeat from the ā€œmock timetableā€ thread, but can news from 5pm-7:30, and again at 9:30-10:30, really work?

I mean, a breakfast program runs 3 hours, but I believe itā€™s either on in the background being half-watched, or watched for a short burst before being turned off.

I canā€™t imagine that translates brilliantly into a long 5-7:30pm time slot. Once youā€™ve seen the news once you donā€™t need to see it againā€¦ so CBS would need to give a good reason not to switch.

Iā€™m asking genuinelyā€¦ because obviously if a largish group of people are currently watching the 6pm News on 7/9 and then switch to the last half hour of The Projectā€¦ then these are precisely the people that would prove me wrong.

If CBS wants a more intelligent viewer then quality news (with obviously good international coverage) can run into more investigative pieces, or thought provoking (crime?) dramas, or documentariesā€¦ more than News running into more news.

3 Likes

I think the one thing to remember is you wouldnā€™t expect the same audience to watch news at 9:30 that watches at 5:00-6:00. People arenā€™t home at the same time. I think news from those times could work as long as an alternative was scheduled on their multichannels.

And again there arenā€™t many people home from work at 5pm. Most people finish at 5:30-6:00 and donā€™t get home until 6:30. So the Project would have a different audience to that at 5:00-6:30.

3 Likes

The CBS execs come from a culture where things like late night news are so ingrained in the psyche - local news, weekend news too. Heavy news programming is a part of life in the US, so itā€™ll be fascinating to see how they view their Australian licence.

By the way, I donā€™t believe many more staff - and no additional anchors - would be needed to produce 6 and 9:30-11:00 news on Ten around the country.

1 Like

This is where ā€˜The Morning Projectā€™ would make total sense!

Younger demographic, more relaxed vibe but still delivering the news, just in a unique way.

2 Likes

opens Mediaspy, sees 30 unread posts in this thread

ā€œOh boy,ā€ Matlock says to himself. ā€œSomething big mustā€™ve happened.ā€

reads 30 posts of wild speculation about CBSā€™ plans, Ten News Melbourne being aired in Sydney, and something about a breakfast show in the evening (???)

ā€œKā€

29 Likes

Welcome to MediaSpy! Great to have you.

3 Likes

What was the deal with that 90-minute news at five and six that Ten did a few years ago? How did it work?

Yea I remember that, it was on for one night only, had a few reruns then didnā€™t return. It didnā€™t seem too bad to begin with, the show looked pretty decent. It doesnā€™t hurt to think outside of the Box now and then.

I really do look forward to how CBS will re-position Ten from next year going forward, should be interesting what will be changed and hopefully CBS can make Ten competitive once again. Poaching Personalities from another Network is a start! :wink:

1 Like

Poaching en masse isnā€™t necessarily a great strategy and it is high risk. You end up paying more for talent and it never guarantees that viewers will follow suit.

It also risks getting existing talent offside if theyā€™re getting overlooked. Then they may take off.

Ten scores good PR with taking on Lisa Wilkinson but itā€™s to be seen how this will translate in ratings terms

3 Likes

Sponsored by Maccaā€™s All Day Breakfast Menu? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Make that 31 thanks to matlock - oops I just made it 32.