Network Ten post-CBS

I hope it never happens here. Being able to record multiple channels on PVRs and with the catchup services I don’t think there is any point. Nine did actually have a time-shift channel in Extra 2, which was obviously a raging success! :smiley:

6 Likes

Has CBS brought out any other television network around the world? If so, what happened to them brand wise?

1 Like

They did a joint cable program with Chellomedia in the UK (owned by AMC), who had 4 channels that were then branded with the name CBS.
Originally Zone Romantica, Zone Thriller, Zone Horror and Zone Reality (+ timeshifts).
Renamed CBS Drama, CBS Action, Horror (without CBS naming), and CBS Reality.

Zone had some channels in Europe also renamed.

These are extra channels in the UK, I believe they piggy back as multichannels in some areas (and on Sky).

2 Likes

And they have two pay tv channels in Asia which they co-own with RTL.
RTL CBS Entertainment
RTL CBS Extreme

2 Likes

What are your thoughts on time shifting local news (in regions where they broadcast full length editions) as they do with Win All Australian News (eg midnight and 7am on WIN, 12pm on One and 1pm on 11)? Potential for success or a waste of time and resources?

I think having it at midnight is ok, but three more repeats the next day is pointless - it’s yesterday’s news.

2 Likes

I meant the 6pm half hour bulletin in the regions that its produced for.

I was mentioning the slots WIN already broadcasts its All Australian News program in to question whether it could be an option for the 6pm bulletin to be as an example shown at 7pm on One and maybe around 10:30pm on 11 or whether its a case of what they have is sufficient or more than enough?

They used to do that, have a midnight version.

I am actually aware they did that as my wife’s family live in the Central West. I am suggesting more viewer friendly timeslots. I actually think after midnight is not a good time the All Australian News and could just be a 7am edition (assuming CBS doesn’t create a new breakfast show) and then repeated on the other 2 stations at some point (maybe not back to back like they currently do though)

I think it’d be better to make the local news bulletins available on TenPlay/CBS All Access.

2 Likes

CBS do something like the All Australian News… their “overnight news” at about 2am collates all their affiliate news for a collection of stories that are redistributed nationwide. No anchor for it though, just all the stories.

I personally don’t like news that’s rebroadcast hours later. For example I would put “The Project” at 6pm in Adelaide, 5:30pm in Brisbane in Summer, making it live.

Often being late doesn’t matter, but it’s good to know that if there has been an update you’re seeing it. I think News repeats are cheap.

2 Likes

However in the case of WIN News, the bulletins aren’t even live when they do to air the first time.
In the case of All Australian News, the stories they select tend to be less time critical, reporting on events that have happened rather than developing stories.

I think you’ve convinced me about the time delay on most news.

I’m remain NOT a fan of repeating on multichannels, or making sure you don’t repeat too often.

1 Like

Will ten be dispensing with that stupid blue horizon transformational program under CBS? I’m sure that stupid cost cutting effort will not be required.

Let’s face it… fox won’t be renewing its output deal with them. And CBS will be providing programming virtually free now that its a wholly owned subsidiary.

The deficiencies in tens performance stems from lack of investment in content. So they need to be creating much more content and I’m sure CBS will allow this. Hopefully thatPaul Anderson can manage all this. He hasn’t been very innovative. Will that mcgarvey woman remain? She’s been ineffective for a long time.
News budgets need expanding… more reporters. Correspondents can work out of cbs offices in Europe and the US. Renewing the chopper leases for more effective news gathering.

Full HD play out is also required.

4 Likes

Probably hard to be innovative when you’ve got board members above you actively plotting to bring the place down :wink:

6 Likes

Very true. Maybe he will be actually allowed to run the place now without a board actively working against you and a convoluted structure of owners who all had hidden agendas.

2 Likes

In the US, CBS (the network) still has programs made by other suppliers like Disney (ABC Studios) and 20th Century Fox, so CBS would want to maintain a good relationship with Fox here in Australia as well. Losing the Fox contract will put a huge hole in Ten’s schedule, given Ten is already short on movies.

1 Like

I totally agree with you but they’re having a sook over the fox parent company not getting what it wants. They’ll take their programming elsewhere or sell it on a show by show basis.

1 Like

Just another thought, if CBS can turn the ratings and advertising revenue around, could we see a revamp of Studio 10 where they remove all advertorials or would that be asking too much? Also is it possible that a CBS-owned Ten might reduce overnight infomercials to 1 hours like they do in the US or is that wishful thinking?

1 Like

I could see a Studio Ten revamp happening, but I don’t see the point of having reduced infomercials. It is making them money, and I doubt any substantial number of viewers are watching TV at that time that they would ever think it to be more profitable to air regular programs with ads over infomercial.

If CBS even have plans about reducing overnight infomercials, it is not a priority; it is probably the last thing on their list.

3 Likes