Network Ten post-CBS

But couldn’t ten give those programs to another production company. (Masterchef was produced by FremantleMedia for a few years before Endermol produced it, can’t ten give MC back to Fremantle or to someone else).

No - the production company owns the format.

1 Like

but in Australia the Seven and Nine Networks see themselves as originators of content rather than import content from overseas.

Perhaps we should put aside the delusions of some TV execs…

Looking at the percentages of airtime given to locally created content versus imported content across 7, 7TWO, 7mate, 7flix, Nine, 9GEM, 9Go!, and 9Life, am I wrong in thinking they both air far more imported content that Australian-made (especially if we exclude news)?

if we look at just the main channels, 85% of Seven and Nine main-channel programming is made IN AUSTRALIA. And the amount of Australian content on sub-channels is increasing: shows that used to appear on community TV such as Vasili’s Garden, Classic Restos, Your 4x4 etc. have popped up on 7TWO and 7mate respectively.

Based on the promo seen last night for returning NCIS, someone at TEN is expecting a successful CBS takeover and planning to fast-track CBS Studio shows with a broadcast time hours before the US :thinking:

6 Likes

Coming soon - fast tracked to CBS ONE the new home of US drama :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

SWAT

Seal Team

1 Like

I’d secretly love Ten to be renamed CBS. There, I said it.

4 Likes

:roll_eyes: Why don’t you just move to America and have all the CBS your heart desires? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Brave.

Foolish, but brave.

3 Likes

Just like SBS 2 was renamed Vice and has floundered ever since.

2 Likes

To be fair, the two brands were blended together, Viceland didn’t just completely take over the SBS brand. And not to mention it was a multichannel not the primary channel.

Will certainly be interesting to see how the brands are juggled.

Are you suggesting that a CBS multichannel would only show CBS programs and drop all other programming? Not only would that breach content rules, it would also be detrimental to Ten programming.

1 Like

I hope the CBS take over sees a local version of 48 Hours airing on Ten. I think its a show that could be quite successful in an 8:30 timeslot every week. Also a show like 60 minutes would be quite good during the week. This is something missing, in my opinion, Tuesday-Thursday on all networks.

I think CBS would be wise looking at the other networks and seeing what is missing on certain days of the week. I think light entertainment is missing on Sundays (a chat show, or a game show). I think Ten have Mondays right with Have You Been Paying Attention. Tuesdays possibly need some work, I think its a night where ten could air a weekly local procedural drama. On Wednesdays I would like to see Ten air something like 48 Hours and a 60 Minutes style show.
Personally I think they would be wise to remove reality from the 7:30 slot on that night and have a schedule like 7:30 60 Mintutes 8:30 48 Hours. I would then air reality 7:30 Monday-Tuesday and 7:30 Thursday-Friday. I would remove all reality from Sunday and focus on light entertainment on that night.

1 Like

The Murder Uncovered series by Seven did remarkably well, so if CBS wanted to tap into that market there would certainly be viewers interested. Wednesday night seemed to work for that series.

I miss a good old Fri/Sat/Sun movie night. The family would gather around and eat dinner in front of AFHV or another light ent. program, then settle down for a family movie. Good to see it making a return on 9Go! though.

If Ten were to air the US 60 Minutes in full, they would have to rename it something else to differentiate from the Australian version which airs on Nine.

Of course. Which is why I said a 60 minutes style show. However, considering 60 minutes in Australia has a lot of CBS content I wonder whether that will continue once the handover occurs.

In the short term, I most likely will. There will be contracts in place (the same for other CBS shows aired on other networks) so in most cases that would be able to revoke those rights immediately. However, that becomes a different story in the future when those contracts come up for renewal.
That said, CBS may choose to continue to renew contracts for show shows that it feels don’t suit Ten’s market.

It also becomes a complicated situation when you consider that some CBS shows are distrubuted internationally by other companies - but again, everything is negotiable and can change when contracts come up for renewal.

2 Likes

Isn’t the 60mins content on Nine sub-licensed from Ten?

A few years ago Hugh Riminton presented a show called Revealed and had two stories each week from CBS 60 Mins and one Australian produced story.

7 Likes

You’re hilarious!

Mm maybe. I mean - broadly - can channel number brands survive the “Netflix” era? I don’t know.

1 Like