Network Ten post-CBS

I agree. There’s no point in CBS buying Ten to make $100 million in profits if they’re forgoing more than $100 million in content licensing (or whatever the actual numbers are).

However, they will have a lot more flexibility now.

1. For the same money as before, Ten may be able to get more content for the same money - such as shows that weren’t previously licensed in Australia. More variety and less repeats on the multichannels could help boost ratings - even if only by a small amount, it could translate it a little bit more revenue. Likewise, they won’t be as locked into showing content which they have purchased by isn’t rating. (Some shows come with agreements that require they be shown in entirety, or they can only be shown if other shows are packaged with it).

2. There could be some shuffling when it comes to buying sports right. For example, CBS may be willing to take a cut of $20 million in program rights, if they money is required to secure a sport which will then generate more than $20 million.

3. If Ten have a particular bad year and can’t pay all their bills, CBS can just forego some of its program licensing fees to prevent Ten going in receivership again.

4 Likes

Don’t know where you heard that from?

All I know is that Mark Latham wrote Bill Shortens Budget Reply speech in 2014, as did Paul Keating.

Source: Former ALP cabinet minister.

Matlock is known for doing that.

The last two posts juxtapose beautifully.

My dreams involve a Bermuda businessman and a giant blue map. Is this normal?

5 Likes

Start from Season 5. :wink:

Most Australians may not know it, but repeats are shown on one of the various SBS channels from time to time and it is fast tracked on Stan. The various stars of the show also have sold out night club shows around the country.

In the US however, it was recently moved on to VH1 (from a very niche channel, Logo) and has had a skit on SNL. It’s slowly becoming more mainstream and relevant.

Anyway, totally unrelated to the recent developments at Ten which I think can only be a good thing. I don’t think we will see a massive difference, but a slow build and hopefully move into the online space. The fact that TENplay is mentioned in the press release makes me feel that CBS may have bigger plans for that platform as well as CBS All Access (or whatever they plan to call it here).

No sweetie try season 4 first, then go onto season 5 and then All Stars season 2. You need the backstory to Phi Phi to fully appreciate what happens to her in All Stars.

¿Que? The fact that I’m apparently known for something is a complement I guess.

3 Likes

That sounds like crap. I think they would love his politics. For what it’s worth, I think CBS would be quite interested in “The Project” for their stodgy 7pm hour.

I do not necessarily think the CBS deal was a surprise. The AFR had reported that they were interested months before. And I was carrying on about it every two seconds. It is just everyone was obssessed with Murdoch and Gordon, especially News Corp.

This outcome is for the better.

3 Likes

Big difference between your dreams and what everyone else’s expectations were. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

-Your 5pm Sydney host, Sandra Sully, is the country’s most famous news anchor. Don’t touch!

1 Like

According to Niki Sava, Nick Xenophon reckons that there is a chance that it won’t be CBS but rather Lachlan Murdoch and Bruce Gordon, who ends up buying the network.

Xenophon is not happy about CBS buying Ten. “My instinctive reaction is to always prefer Australian ownership,” he says. He is not convinced it is a done deal, and believes it is still possible Lachlan Murdoch and Bruce Gordon could succeed in buying the network.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion/columnists/niki-savva/shorten-wants-to-keep-the-farm-but-cbs-can-buy-ten/news-story/472fe427835818e7f0b345f0388fff10

1 Like

Gordon is hardly ‘Australian’ ownership, given he has to make sure not to stay here too long for tax purposes.

Given the Murdoch/Gordon plans would likely have seen significant job losses - with the redundancy between WIN’s operations and that of Ten - as well as the likely doom to Ten’s remaining news operations.

The significant media consolidation and job losses from a Murdoch/Gordon bid far outweigh it being considered Australian.

8 Likes

Add it to the Pleb!

• Should the ■■■■■■■■■ on WIN Television be inflicted across all of Australia or should Ten be bought by a company who can actually have a chance of making it competitive again without the loss of hundreds of Australian jobs to make two people richer but a whole country poorer?

Of course, with no obvious bias in the question there.

5 Likes

That opinion piece by Niki Savva is just blatantly pro-Murdoch. It ends with:

She means, Ten can only thrive if her boss, Los Angeles resident & News Corp co-Chairman Lachlan Murdoch, is able to jointly buy it with Bermuda resident Bruce Gordon.

1 Like

When WIN purchased NNSW from SCA it required approval from the Foreign Investment Review Board - so definitely not Australian.

5 Likes

So Xenophon would like to see the large job losses a Murdoch and Gordon owned ten would have. Not to mention the dilution of people producing news. This is nonsense.

They let some Indian company buy a mine in qld but American media company is treated with contempt. News corp is an American media company anyway.

10 Likes

Yes, under the Foreign Acquisitions and Takeovers Regulation 2015 Bruce Gordon is classed as a national of another country as he is entitled to live in Bermuda indefinitely. The relevant section:

1 Like

But under Section 44 of the Constitution I’m sure he’ll be free to run for Parliament until the High Court decision is handed down! Maybe he should have just done that to get the media reforms through, the election posters could have had massive watermarks too!

Could The Amazing Race move from Seven to Ten since it airs in the US on CBS?

1 Like

I doubt it because Disney distributes the show internationally and Seven has a deal with them.

1 Like