Network Ten and Paramount+ Football coverage

If 10/Paramount+ has the FA Cup, does it mean ESPN has lost the Australian rights?

2 Likes

I reckon these two would be the front runners. Stan might want this to complete their portfolio of all the major European soccer competitions. Paramount+ needs this for their soccer investment to be worthwhile.

4 Likes

Although Stan has the rights to UEFA Champions League and Europa League, it needs more than EPL to complete its portfolio. I think it needs to get its hands on one of (say) Bundesliga, Serie A and La Liga from BeIN when their current rights deals expire.

1 Like

Or all of them :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The thing is the EPL drives subscriptions. Those fans are very loyal and will follow the sport. Stan and Paramount would absolutely relish this. The success of Optus sport has been purely off the back of the EPL. It’s incredibly important to any streamer wanting new subscribers.

6 Likes

So don’t you think Optus will bid for the next EPL rights then?

Judging by this, which says that there is currently no broadcaster for Australia, 10 seems to have gotten the rights. Whether it is 10Play as the main deal (i.e. before P+ gets going properly) (with maybe the final on 10Bold, if no P+ you’d think there’d be a match per day) or with Paramount+ (which I think is the most likely) remains to be seen.

1 Like

It might be announced at upfronts today.

1 Like

Yep. Optus Sport may as well pack it up if they lose this.

The loss in Champions League should free up funds for EPL if they still believe in the sports broadcasting business.

Would still think they are the front runner.

5 Likes

Do we know who has the A Leagues rights in NZ? I know it’s no longer Sky Sport, and I believe it is Three and Paramount+…but that hasn’t launched yet over there, has it?

It has not - all sorts of rumours doing the rounds. Announcement imminent (next week or so) I hear.

1 Like

It’s why (similar to what’s likely going to happen in Australia) there’s expected to be an all-out tussle in the US for the Premier League rights with NBC desperate to retain them (mostly for Peacock) and CBS, ESPN & Fox also expressing interest to acquire them.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/en/SB-Blogs/Newsletter-Media/2021/10/18

2 Likes

I would love Paramount+ to win the rights here and in the US, so we would get match coverage from them.

2 Likes

Yeah hope it’s 10/ P+ as well.

Ideally 10 would show the early saturday match with the A-League coverage transitioning into EPL coverage when the time zones sync up nicely.

4 Likes

Talked about football quite a bit…but no mention of the FA Cup just yet…

1 Like

And confirmed. Broken before announced on the upfronts…

Confirmed

1 Like

Tara, Bruce and Simon talking about the Football action.

New Football promo airing now as well, with the song “I just can’t get enough”.

Seems like the Women’s Asian Cup is exclusive to Paramount+?

1 Like

Matildas matches on FTA.