Neighbours

Annie Jones will be on Studio 10 tomorrow talking about her return to Neighbours.

Edit- Annie returns as Jane in Friday’s episode.

2 Likes

Madeleine Vizard was a guest on Neighbours tonight. Recognise the surname? She is the daughter of Steve Vizard.

URGHH. What is with the the really cheap filming all of a sudden. Blurry indoor scenes and really obvious cheap and nasty cgi blue screen. That scene with Paul and David on the boat was awful. So amateurish.

Loving Jane back though. I wish she would come back permanently.

Really liking Chloe. Finally a new Neighbours character with charisma.

The green screen stuff has been rubbish.

As for the blurry scenes, it seems they are using some different HD cameras for episodes shown since February. It looks great if you watch the repeat on Ten HD but it’s looking dodgy in SD on Eleven. There’s probably a technical reason for that, which somebody might be able to explain.

They’ve also changed the lighting in the studio so it looks more natural and as if the light is coming through the windows rather than unnatural studio lighting. They’ve been fine tuning it over the last couple of weeks and it’s better now so it may take a few more weeks to get it perfect.

Yeah I haven’t seen the hd broadcasts so I can’t compare to see if it’s actually worth it.

The lighting does look better.

If I was the Neighbours team though I’d be focusing more on the writing and less on the production side.

Dipi & family are still awful and still don’t fit in. I don’t get it. When Shane & Mishti arrived they were great but when the rest joined it was all downhill. The writing is just awful. Dipi screaming at a football match, Shane moaning about money inventing lawn mowers. Kirsha going deaf for five minutes. Mishti losing a sense of humour and going super cop. Sadly apart from Shane and Mishti the acting has been pretty woeful.

Amy has been ruined. I used to love Amy.

I don’t like Clive & Sheila either. It doesn’t work. I like both characters just not together.

Piper is infinitely more likable now that Tyler’s gone.

Over Gary & Terese and their constant hurdles. They aren’t matched either.

Neighbours seems to have a problem with couples that work and aren’t awkward. It’s a mess. None are suited together, even Karl & Susan have been off.

I’m hoping Jane & Chloe are a step in the right direction though.

2 Likes

I agree with a lot that you’ve said, especially about the boat scene with David and Paul. That was just awful.

The lighting has been improving for a while and it’s looking much better. It’s more like H&A these days, which I presume has a bigger budget.

Seems to be too many ‘dead wood’ characters, and other characters such as Amy and Clive who are being wasted. Clive and Sheila - yuk. Sheila seems to get more action than anyone on Ramsey Street!

Steph is being under utilised at the moment but rumour has it that Carla Bonner is leaving the show, which is a shame.

David is great and believable as a doctor but such a wimp when it comes to relationships. I can’t believe I’m saying it but I’m actually liking Leo these days. Dipi drives me nuts and her acting is dreadful but I’m liking the older daughter a bit more now (can’t remember her name though).

I have a feeling that things are going to improve shortly, mainly due to the addition of the new characters and the return of some old ones. Chloe in particular is quite good and it will be interesting to see what the writers have in store for her.

I dont think last nights gay kiss was right for the time slot, kids watch this show and in my opinion it wasn’t appropriate. I dont want to offend anyone but i just think it was too vivid and its not something alot of people want to see. I thought it would have been against broadcasting laws

1 Like

Was it more Vivid than many of the previous heterosexual kisses?

1 Like

Why shouldn’t kids see it?

Wow :man_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

Seriously?

1 Like

Not at all. In fact, there was a bedroom scene featuring one of those characters that was quite raunchy by Neighbours past standards.

Truth be told, some of the kids shows like Dance Academy and Ready For This on ABC Me have dealt more with same sex couples than Neighbours of Home & Away had done (until recently).

2 Likes

this is just my view but i dont think it’s appropriate for kids to see, they might think its normal behavior, imagine that exact kiss was between a 90yo man and an 18yo girl, while not illegal it wouldnt be something many people would want to see and not something you would want your kids to see either. I think they need to tone down on the gay stuff and not try normalize it so much, having gay couple is one thing but showing them being intimate like that is confronting for alot of people even if you dont want to admit it

2 Likes

It is normal.

8 Likes

I entirely disagree with this. No offense. The gay “stuff” you put it has been mild in Neighbours, not as sexed up as you think. A kiss is a kiss.

The Secret Life of Us, had a gay sex scene in which Richie did a guy in the toilets at the beach, that was intense, more so then what was shown last night. Although Secret Life of Us aired at 9.30pm in it’s first season? That scene was pretty graphic.

It’s normal to show all kinds of relationships that are different. It’s about time Australia caught up with the times.

2 Likes

maybe to you but not to everyone, i do understand your view and i am in no way trying to be mean or anything but we both know its not normal to alot of people that watch the show

1 Like

Well I can go back and say the same arugment to you then. I just think it’s normal and that comparing a homosexual kiss to a 18 year old and 90 year old kissing, is a bit of a stretch.

The people who are in my life don’t watch the show, and don’t have a problem with gay kissing on screen. (They are religious zealouts) and they are tolerant. It truly depicts a wide range of relationships.

1 Like

yes a different time slot and you expect stuff like that could happen then, but this is a kid friendly time slot, there are many perents that would not want there kids to watch it, thats just a fact of life

1 Like

I believe the parents would definetly need to control the content for younger kids, e.g under 10 or so. But teenagers can sure as hell watch what they want. That’s also fact of life. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Provided that the scene is appropriate for the timeslot, who really cares whether a program like Neighbours depicts a same sex relationship/kiss?

I could imagine there being controversy if Neighbours was to feature such a scene even 20 years ago. But surely most Australians are accepting of non-heterosexual relationships being depicted on TV in 2018?

Agreed. It’s to my understanding that people in the Australian LGBTIQ+ community want to be better represented in the media, so if anything shouldn’t we be praising the producers of Neighbours for doing this?

1 Like