NBN (The other one)

Sorry I was referring to consumer providers outside of the NBN.

1 Like

Thanks
That has already been suggested but my neighbour may not be happy.
Currently (last 3 months) in dispute with my ISP.
At 6:45am today my download speed was 473kbps. That is not unusual. Sometimes up to 3.3Mbps.
ISP claims Optus says no problem with our line or service. Other neighbours similar complaint. I have a written log to support my claim but nobody listens.
Any suggestions.
My kids live o/s so rely on Skype or FaceTime. Not possible with these speeds.

1 Like

You need to contact the Telecommunications Ombudsman

1 Like

Agree,
Will do tomorrow. I did threaten that action several weeks ago but hasn’t helped.
These companies work on the “divide & rule” principle.

1 Like

NBN has announced the intention to update their offerings to RSPs including:
100/20, 250/25, 1000/50 for FTTP and HFC. They are in the process of working out if FTTC will be compatible.

2 Likes

Meanwhile FTTN must be at the maximum… if only people had said that at the beginning! What an expensive mess that’s left those people.

Meanwhile, there’s a few RSP’s I thought who had been offering gigabit services for a while already. Launtel certainly has offered it residentially in Tas and the ACT.

That’s the NBN way. Make promises and don’t deliver.

1 Like

Faster, cheaper, sooner!

and wrong on all 3 counts!

2 Likes

Well, it’s 1 out of 3 for me then…

Faster - yes, I consistently get 93 Mbps even in peak, about 6 times faster than what I got on ADSL 2+
Cheaper - no, for me it’s about $20 pm more expensive, but not a deal breaker given the vastly improved speeds (and it’s now more reliable too, a lot fewer dropouts).
Sooner - no, the NBN took about 12 months longer than expected here.

Same situation with me. But there are millions out there who can barely hit 25mb/s. So faster overall? Not in a million years.

Same for me, except it ended up being about 3 years longer to get to me than under the original approved plans which were FTTP.

I was talking the overall project - there’s no way it will be cheaper because you have to include the costs to fix the mess so overall it will be very expensive.
Faster - not for all the people on the node. It would have been if it was FTTP and it would have been easily upgradable well into the future. Now, we’ve hit our max already.
Sooner - it might be but it’s not really. Still seems to be dragging out and once they have to fix everything because it was so badly stuffed then it will take much longer.

Skipped NBN entirely recently when moving house, went from ADSL2+ (still no NBN, 2 years after it was promised when we moved into the area) to Optus 4G. Speeds are better than the rubbish FTTN that exists in the new place, price works out to be about the same (500GB Data and Unlimited is a much of a muchness for me).

Embarrassing that 4G is the better option after billions wasted on sub-par FTTN.

1 Like

Which will be nothing compared to 5G.

Compared to ADSL 2+, the NBN should be be faster for pretty much everyone.

Even if only getting 12-25 Mbps, chances are it’s still faster than what their as ADSL 2+ speed was, but not as fast as it should have been had the Liberals stuck with the original FTTP plan for everyone.

Yeah, it’s faster than ADSL2 but it’s also using a dead technology and comparing against the originally promised FTTP it’s slower and will always be slower. There’s no room for growth in it and with the way technology was already growing at that stage it was never going to be a good solution. If you’d said back in 2005 that this technology was capable of speeds of up to 100Mb then that would have been fantastic but in 2015 when people already knew that gigabit was going to be capable and already available in some areas then it was pretty clear it was going to be a dud and people would be expecting more.

3 Likes

They also cut a huge percentage of houses off fixed broadband totally. The amount of homes they have planned to go from ADSL to having very congested Fixed Wireless 4G is huge - indeed even some areas that have ADSL getting that replaced with Satellite just so they can claim people are all on the NBN network.

Just about all the ‘too hard’ stuff on the map just gets dropped into the Fixed Wireless bucket, and they still end up with a service worse than most mobile networks offer.

Now Apr-Jun 2020. Or “Sooner” as it is termed. .

3 Likes
2 Likes

OK, so why didn’t Telstra build it despite taxpayer money having been thrown at them so many years before the Labor federal govt finally started the (FttP) NBN project?

3 Likes

The same telstra that refused to offer ADSL2+ and artificially limited 8mbps ADSL1 to 1.5mbps (and offered 256kbps as a default!) for several years until competitors started putting DSLAMs into Telstra exchanges… Unlikely!

3 Likes