NBN (The other one)

My sisters property is the same, they were slated to be connected to FTTC in October to December 2018 which I though was way to fast since there are no Telstra pits as that region of Sydney is an Optus HFC only region and Telstra copper is on power poles and in very poor condition that even if you could get ADSL2+ speed would be only around 3Mbits on a good day, then it got pushed to January 2019 to March 2019 and now its been changed to October 2019 to December 2019, guess some one from NBN Co drove past the region and said um why is there very thin black cable on the power poles :slight_smile: the realised dam they are copper phone lines there is no FIBRE let alone Telstra Co-axial only thick grey Optus co-axial cable.

Yet here at my property I have a choice of ADSL2+ with around 16Mbits down (as that is what the neighborā€™s line sync speed is) , Optus HFC (which you can see above is very good unless you need more upload speed) or Telstra HFC (which can provide me 115Mbits down/5Mbits up), yet NBN Co since the pause because of the faulty Telstra HFC physical network (i.e.: amps and taps are worse condition then the Optus ones even though they are underground and Optus on power poles, go figure that one out) canā€™t source network TAPS and AMPS fast enough to upgrade NBN HFC because the current ones canā€™t handle Foxtel, Telstra HFC and NBN-HFC on the one physical network due to line noise issues, a tech guy was in the street from NBN Co and he was LHAO at how bad the line noise is on Telstra HFC, I got him to do a quick test on the Optus HFC and it was well within acceptable limits ā€¦ shame that NBN Co are dumping Optus HFC due to their incompetence.

anyway where was I ā€¦

Oh yeah, talk that NBN Co are looking to source / scavenge parts from the Optus HFC network that is already decommissioned but then they realized the Motorolla/Scientiic Atalanta parts are not compatible with the VOXON system that Telstra used for HFC and VOXON or any manufacturer no longer makes parts of such old physical hardware.

I have a feeling that regions that are yet to become NBN HFC will soon be changed to FTTC but they are waiting for whatever reason to announce it, I know they have made the FTTC foot print larger recently.

One big cock-up mess that Aboott and Turnbull have inflicted on us.

does this just go to pole in a street light? Iā€™m pretty sure in places with underground powerlines that the street lights can home optic fibres for the internet, especially now how there are capabilities for lights to have wifi

? FTTC most likely will be above ground as the original pits that were put in either by PMG or Telecom would not have enough space to fit fibre and have space for the DPU, this is in regions where there was no Telstra HFC ever laid, many of these areas have Telstra copper strung up on power poles so basically like how Optus Vision rolled out HFC, strung up on power poles, that takes time and I am sure that NBN Co are not about to start boaring new pipe lines and making new pits in these regions.

I know in Miranda (which is the 1st Sydney region to have FTTC) they strung FTTC up on power poles using grey colour for the fibre and black for the DPU.

At my sisters place / street the NBN Co crew packed up and left once they saw the was no pits for them to do a ā€œrod and ropeā€ pull through, Optus HFC, electricity and Telstra copper all power poles in every street.

A town near me is slated for FTTC with copper lead-ins. No aerial network there from what I can tell. But Iā€™m pretty sure most of the pits are a decent size (between 5 and 6 series). Lucky bastards, especially if they install G.fast distribution hubs. The town has like 3,000 people.

1 Like

Below ground in Inner Melbourne, some pits here are double so the DPUā€™s will fit.

Thereā€™s a bit of a divide of where HFC is placed in the Inner North West. Flemington doesnā€™t have Optus HFC but is getting FTTC underground, across Racecourse Road into Kensington where there is Optus HFC on the power poles and there is FTTC right to Parsons St which is one street down paralleling Racecourse.

However right down from Parsons St to Macaulay Road which is a good 300 meters is all going to be NBN HFC, with both Optus HFC on power poles and Telstra underground. the HFC CTMS is based some streets west in the FTTC area but the POI is at Exhibition (Melbourne CBD).

It just baffles me how they couldnā€™t just do the whole thing as FTTC but now I think that itā€™s mainly because they started upgrading the headends before the other side switched to FTTC from HFC and FTTN.

Moonee Ponds is Optus HFC with a bit of FTTC and HFC but it is really weird. TPG run fibre thru Flemington and possibly Kensington to some buildings so that also gives a plus if they wanted to do their own version.

Vast parts St George (heading down to Sans Souci before the bridge cross to Miranda and Carringbah) , vasts part of Canturbury (western side which boarders with Bankstown and St George) , Padstow, Padstow Heights then heading back through Penhurst/Pekhurst region in Sydney south did not have any Telstra HFC and is a mix of copper in pits and on power poles, will be interesting to see if they can fit fibre and the DPU into the exisiting copper pits. (they should but it will be tight fit).

Just looking at the Telstra NBN map Iā€™ve noticed some of the regions now brown and from a quick drop pin assessment are all FTTC.

I know people in Miranda where FTTC was 1st activated (well in Sydney metro anyway), some people have switched over from Optus HFC to FTTC (some stayed with Optus) and its a mixed bag in terms of performance.

So some further news about NBN CO, a few days ago NBN Co switched to DOCSIS 3.1 specification in selected parts of the HFC network.

While no RSP can take advantage of the new specification just yet anyone with NBN HFC will be able to receive the upgrade without needing a new NTD (cable modem).

1 Like

Thanks for that info!
Hopefully Telstra is soon to take up the 3.1 spec in my area soon, and then I might finally decide to move off Cable to NBN :stuck_out_tongue:

Telstra direct HFC customers wonā€™ be getting DOCSIS3.1 as its a new CMTS only for NBN Co customers, basically itā€™s only in regions where Telstra has given up HFC (that is everything including moving everyone who was HFC Foxtel to Satellite Foxtel).

downstream channels is now 16 bonded and upload channels are 8 bonded,that said NBN Co are not giving customers access to more than 100/40, itā€™s more about spreading the capacity around so its smoother for anyone on NBN HFC.

The only NBN Co HFC database that will get more speed is in the trial area of Redcliff which is former Optus HFC network, but when that will be is?

1 Like

depends on what type of pit they were looking at ?

If its an old PMG style pit then they would need that many, if its a Telstra HFC pit then only half are needed and if its a NBN Pit (HA! good luck finding one in QLD) then you only need 3 people.

It looks more like a training photo than anything else.

My NBN service was installed by one person, and he had to drag a fibre cable about 30 metres down street. It would have been about 60 metres but luckily for him he found a port a bit closer.

1 Like

Still hoping to actually get 100 Mbps download speed one day.

1 Like

ā€¦ But yiu are? Or do u mean peak hour congestion?

I think they mean actually cracking the triple figures. I did a couple of times. I got 102Mb/s on fibre to the node. I had line sync of 107 and a max attainable rate of 137 according to the modem. That was with the old proivder though before congestion times stretched to from 7am to 1:30am every day.

1 Like

On Monday I got a letter from NBN Co saying my area (Glen Waverley) was now connected to the network, and I have until February 20 next year to connect to NBN before my existing phone and internet service is disconnected. Then yesterday I received a card from Optus (which provides the phone line and cable broadband and Fetch for my place) offering two new NBN deals. Should I sign up to the new service now, or wait until the end of the year?

Itā€™s really up to you. We are in the same situation with our disconnection date being June 2019.

I would probably try get it done before the final 2/3 months because it will take at least a month for an NBN technician to come out to your place, and within the final months the wait could be even longer since the rest of the area will be switching over too.

2 Likes

NBN Co raising the possibility of charging more for video streaming than for other data.

How is streaming any more resource intensive than downloading large files?

I know more people stream and do it for longer, but theoretically speaking, should generally use 15 Mbps at the most (for 4K) which is well below the 20/50/100 plans that are offered. Even HD is only about 5Mbps.

2 Likes