NBN News

Sorry for the crap caps. My photography skills are poor

1 Like

Was it this end cap?

And I assume that this is the location in Honeysuckle they are moving to in Newcastle:

12 Likes

Has it been confirmed that NBN News is keeping the studio broadcasts local?

I don’t believe so.

There are still rumours of a move to Sydney.

2 Likes

Nope - that’s our MMM and Hit office on the top floor. The sales reps work across radio and TV and we also have Nine production with us. There’s NO BLOODY ROOM for news! We’re packed as it is :slight_smile:

6 Likes

If they are moving the northern NSW bulletins to Sydney will it still be called NBN News or 9 news for that specific area?

2 Likes

That’s the million dollar question.

My guess is that they’ll rebrand to Nine News and model it on the Southern NSW format.

Which unfortunately will probably see the end of local weekend bulletins.

3 Likes

Will they retain the current NBN news readers for the northern NSW bulletins or would the current southern NSW reader have to cover the northern NSW bulletins as well as the southern existing bulletins?

1 Like

My thoughts are that Northern NSW and Southern NSW would need to be produced separately purely due to the logistics of having to record up to 27 ? windows of local news, sport and weather (across all NSW markets) in a relatively short space of time. But I wouldn’t put it past Nine to try and do that!

2 Likes

The question has probably been asked before but if NBN News is to eventually be “streamlined” into the wider Nine News Regional product, which presenters would they keep and who would be let go?

Gavin Morris & Jane Goldsmith are by far the two NBN News presenters who’ve had the most exposure on Nine’s other regional bulletins and even nationally (Nine News Now “Chat Room” in the case of Gav, Nine News: Early Edition in the case of Jane), but Gav is notoriously not a fan of Sydney while Jane has a young family.

I’d like to think that Kate Haberfield & Tyson Cottrill will also have a place on the Northern NSW bulletins going forward, but I have to say that I’ve never really warmed to any of Paul (he’d probably be great on something like It’s Academic, but a 6pm bulletin?), Tash (the Georgie Gardner of NBN News) or Mitch (can’t really say he’s a Northern equivalent to Cam Williams, unlike Mike Rabbitt who’s presence definitely felt comparable to Ken Sutcliffe’s here in Sydney) on weeknight bulletins.

3 Likes

Totally agree re presenters, I wouldn’t mind betting that all of NBN News on air personalities don’t transition across on screen in a Sydney produced version (if that happens) and Nine’s stable of TCN reporters are used more regularly as we’ve seen lately with Lizzie Pearl, as they have a few of them in Tiffiny Genders, Liz Bryan, Liz Daniels, Jake Duke, Rob Canning etc.

2 Likes

Promotional material at the Newcastle Triathlon today:

11 Likes

Sorry, when is NBN News on?

11 Likes

It’s truer now than it used to be, as the cricket used to cause it to be delayed.
And the Gold Coast used to get NBN News at 5pm when day/night cricket was on.

Same with NRL games when they go into “golden point”, sometimes not on until 6.10pm even.

4 Likes

Just wondering if there’s two Channel 9 SE QLD transmitters.

1. QTQ9 Brisbane
  2. QTQ9 Gold Coast?
  3. NBN? Gold Coast
    (what was the NBN frequncity on the gold coast back in the day?)
2 Likes

Channel 9 Brisbane has multiple translators around the south-east including Mt Tamborine and Currumbin on the Gold Coast. NBN also has translators on those two locations. It used to be on Channel 67 in analogue days from Mt Tamborine.

2 Likes

WOW! A frequsity that high?

1 Like

I would of though they would of used the lower bands?

UHF used to go from Channel 28 to Channel 69. It only goes as high as Channel 51 now because 52 and 69 was given to mobile phone providers for 4G spectrum.

2 Likes

I know that!
I just would of thought they would use a lower UHF Band like (B for example)