NBN News

That is handled by Facebook though - you upload the highest quality source and then the user gets streamed an appropriate quality video for their connection.

There’s no benefit at all to poor quality video uploads.

5 Likes

Fair enough, didnt realise they could do that now. No excuse in that case.

And if that happens, would either Paul or Tash do the Nine News app promo VOs for NBN?

1 Like

Exactly. Some nights when my internet is running slowly I get shitty very blurry videos on Facebook. Other days the exact same video looks great. It all comes down to your connection, just like on YouTube.

1 Like

Rural customers have access to 25mbit downloads via the skymuster satellite or 50mbit downloads from fixed wireless.

Someone on a remote property has better download speeds than many people in parts of inner Sydney.

My friend near Bondi Junction can only get 4.5mbit/s

1 Like

In theory yes, in practice, not at all.

My parents live in a rural area in the Mackay hinterland.
While they pay for 50 mbps NBN fixed wireless, in practice the typical download speed at their house is between 3 mbps and 7 mbps.

2 Likes

Well obviously they have a fault which needs to be reported to the TIO if it isn’t fixed.

Either way, that is irrelevant, poor quality videos should not be uploaded. If someone has a bad internet connection then the web browser will choose a lower-bitrate stream because Facebook encodes multiple bitrates.

I don’t think TPG (which SP Telemedia eventually became) is there anymore, or at least has anything to do with Nine/NBN/whatever they’ve chosen to go with today.

How about this - how about they actually livestream the bulletin on the 9NOW app? Along with the rest of the Nine regional news bulletins they produce for SCA? Do they feature any stories from the SCA bulletins on 9News.com.au?

As someone who has dealt with the TIO recently…BAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Good f##kin’ luck with that! The TIO are f**kin’ useless.

1 Like

They’ve had NBN techs come out and replace their equipment a few weeks ago, which made no improvements. Techs told the parents that those sorts of low speeds were normal.

At the end of the Central Coast local window, Paul Lobb is nowhere to be seen (though he did present an item during it).

But he reappears in this shot 10 mins later.

I wonder what happened there…unexpected toot break perhaps?

5 Likes

He took his tablet with him?

4 Likes

Pre-reading his scripts whilst on the can perhaps!? :grin:

4 Likes

Of course they are still there, the NBN TV studios is one of TPG’s major fibre POPs for Newcastle. There is also a data centre in there.

It is also a Network Operations Centre for the TPG network (ie. Network engineers work there 24/7 to run the TPG national network).

(TPG owns AAPT, Pipe Networks and iiNet so there are separate NOC’s around the country for these other networks)

I believe Pipe Networks staff have moved into Mosbri Crescent as a base to install fibre for all the Vodafone base stations in our region.

Oh and also TPG runs a microwave network across New South Wales. The techs who run the microwave network are based in Mosbri crescent. The Microwave network used to (or could still) deliver pictures up the coast for NBN TV. It also linked the Government Radio Network towers and other services up the coast.

3 Likes

I would imagine TPG might strike a deal with Channel Nine to buy a room under or beside the apartments they are building to house their network.

These apartments may have some of the best residential internet connections in Australia then :wink:

this is the nbn news thread not the nbn internet thread or so i thought :thinking:

1 Like

Tonight in the NBN Central Coast local window, they tried to tell viewers that Seal Rocks was on the Central Coast.

Nope, NBN … not even close.

Seal Rocks is on the lower Mid North Coast, it is in fact, closer to Forster than Newcastle.

It’s one thing for metro broadcasters to get regional geography wrong, but it’s another thing for regional broadcasters to do it, especially when it’s in their immediate broadcast area.

Shame NBN, shame.

2 Likes

Tonight

5 Likes