NBN News

Many of those local stations also hold monopolies (or similar) over their city and show multiple networks.

Easier to fund news in a small city when there’s no competition.

I suspect the viability of those smaller markets also depends on the level of reverse compensation the network is asking for. I don’t know what it is like in the US but I can’t imagine it’d be anywhere near the 40-50% often asked for here, especially since it’s a relatively newer practice and the competition for affiliates (even in smaller markets) is much larger than it ever can be here.

Plus retransmission consent fees which, even if they would’ve existed here - got worked around (even considering limited satellite space) by the likes of Austar and later Foxtel putting free-to-air receivers in boxes instead.

The affiliates don’t give networks over there the revenue from local programming. The affiliates hand over the air time for the networks to make money from national advertising the in the blocks of time they program. It’s a very different structure over there.

2 Likes

Yeah, affiliates here in the States only pay for, and hand over revenue for, certain blocks of programming, mainly primetime evening, late evening talk shows, the morning shows, and networked sports rights. The rest of the schedule is available for the local affiliate to program.

In large markets, like LA or NYC, local affiliates have their own early morning shows, morning chat shows, afternoon chats, afternoon and early evening news, and late night news. There’s so much local/state/national content they generate.

As markets get smaller, the amount of stuff an affiliate will produce decreases, and is mainly focussed around early evening and late night news. Thanks to legacy (think incumbency or favourable VHF frequency allocations) some smaller market stations still produce a good amount of local content.

I was staying in Amish country the other week (so it’s about 1-1.5 hours outside of Philadelphia, and it’s own TV market), and the local NBC affiliate had its own high school quiz show running in the morning. It was pretty slick and well supported by local sponsors, but also is due to the fact that it’s local institution, and the station had a high power transmitter and low VHF frequency so in the early days, it had a bigger than authorised market reach and dominated locally.

Stations with less favourable histories, channel assignments, market sizes, etc. tend to run a lot of paid programming blocks.

Also, it should noted that really large markets, like NYC, have a good selection of independent stations with big chunks of news, morning chat, local sports, and syndicated (or repeat) programming.

4 Likes

I was wondering when this would happen. Finally!

7 Likes

Also see discussion of the bulletin:

2 Likes

According to Mediaweek, NBN’s Will Di Fulvio and Gracie Richter have both joined Nine News. Will is now a broadcast journalist at Nine News Adelaide, while Gracie is a Nine News Gold Coast reporter.

3 Likes

Hopefully nbn news receives the updated title cards. Should find out in a few minutes.

2 Likes

No difference so far.

1 Like

I wouldn’t expect it

1 Like

2 Likes

In time it will. Not even any other capitals have the updates yet.

1 Like

It’ll most likely happen when Brisbane updates there’s as nbn is controlled through them.

1 Like

Sophie Scanlon made her sports reading debut on the desk last night.

2 Likes

And fits in perfectly

At the end of NBN News tash said “Jane Goldsmith will be back later for the late national news”

1 Like

Its like Nine is a dirty word at NBN News.

“Eww: It’s a Nine 3 letter word.”

1 Like

From Nine Sydney afternoon news.

5 Likes

There doesn’t seem to be any rules about what NBN News should be doing.

Whenever Jane Goldsmith files a report for the Sydney 6pm bulletin from Newcastle, she uses a Nine News mic flag, but at 4pm they can do whatever they like? And Claudia Vrdoljak has used Nine News mic flags at 4pm before too.

1 Like