NBN News

Old and outdated would have been my perception, although I didn’t really have an issue with their previous set before the hand-me-down.

I think this new set would look a lot better if it was seamless above and below the screens. Like, the blue lighting strip wasn’t segmented and the grey panels didn’t have a join in them. It’s the paneled look that makes it seem cheap and tacky and TBH the vertical blue strips aren’t really needed.

2 Likes

The most pleasant surprise for me was - no technical issues - none of the automation glitches that plagued Nine News Sydney for months.

I’m guessing there is a more manual element in use here than in Sydney,

4 Likes

The NBN one is better - the swirls are less intrusive and the Illawarra NSW text on the Nine regional one is unnecessary.

I still like the local backdrops, it’s better than just generic shots or swirls.

4 Likes

Is that a live cross during the Newcastle local window?
If so, well done! Especially considering they need to time the window to finish at the same time as the others.

I disagree with the hate for the new set, I am a fan, I think it’s a great set for a regional bulletin. Yes, it’s just a few screens, but the desk really makes up for it, and to me, makes it quite a good regional set.

If this was the set used for Nine News Regional, I would have been very happy with it.

I’ve just had a quick look online and these weather observations are the conditions recorded at 6:20pm. Gavin must be pre-recording these weather updates in front of a different screen while the bulletin is going to air for the data to be up-to-date within half an hour of the weather report airing.

5 Likes

I know the trend these days is for sets to just be screens, but this looks very drab. All the black, and the weird angle between the two presenters. Not keen.

3 Likes

I’ll just leave these right here:

24 Likes

And that looks much better even though it’s (nearly) the same type of design.

3 Likes

Exactly what I meant by taking cues from the metro sets. That’s fantastic.

4 Likes

Just a general reminder (because I’ve seen about six requests now) - our members will generally record and upload bulletins where there’s new graphics/sets/anchors.

There’s no need to ask. Someone will upload a copy when they’re ready to do so.

27 Likes

Thank you for the assurance. I missed the NBN bulletin tonight. You guys are legends.

6 Likes

Absolutely nothing from NBN News on Twitter today.

Usually they post a 60 sec News break at midday and a 90 second News break at 3pm.

Today. Nothing.

Also no clips from the bulletin tonight when usually they post all the stories not from the local outputs.

3 Likes

Would you think NBN’s socials are now managed in Brisbane, as well? (Nah, I’m just overthinking. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:)

2 Likes

I recorded the 6pm bulletin on my PVR, and I just watched the closer 5 times in a row because

1. The closer theme music is not often heard for long enough on other Nine News bulletins. Tonight it went for 15-20 seconds and I think is particularly good, much better than the opening or ad break music

2. I had to convince myself that NBN News is finally using the Nine News music, after nearly 30 years of affiliation, back in the 90s to mid 00s (before Nine bought it), it’s a time I thought might never happen. I’m still a bit like, did this really happen today?

3 Likes

You’re welcome. :grinning:

Here is the montage:

20 Likes

Nine is the owner, NBN News is the local bulletin.

Like how News Corp is the owner and Herald Sun is the local newspaper.

2 Likes

But it is weird they are using the name Nine and the logo of Nine which is the larger company that owns Channel 9, Stan, The Age, SMH etc.

They aren’t using the Channel 9 (the tv network) name or brand - they are using the larger group branding

It’s a little curious. I even saw a ON AIR sign that had Nine | NBN NEWS - instead of Channel 9 dotty

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s a mess. As discussed a while ago in another thread, the building signage across the network differs between cities. There’s just no consistency and no rulebook as to when the lettered Nine or numeric 9 should be used.

3 Likes

Paul couldn’t look anymore out of place right there. Natasha looks like the main presenter.

4 Likes

Just saw the montage of yesterday’s bulletin and tonight’s. The new set looks much better but the panels could have been joined more seamlessly.

And why did NBN have to drop its old news theme? Nine’s orders?

1 Like

The desk looks stunning, The plasma wall isn’t too bad.

But the huge amounts of dead black space on the floor, panels and above the screens looks awful and unfinished. Really bad.

It needs elements, polished black floors. Risers with lighting. Graphical walls, light boxes, lighting rigs, frames, elements - it looks so unfinished.

So much dead black space on air. Bad design. Really bad.

The local backdrops once again look like the first image found on Google. Someone over in 7 News mock thread had better local Newcastle images than these guys found.

6 Likes