Narrowcast and AM Narrowband Radio

Do you think the BeatFM in Penrith should have some announcers? AirFM did it. Bring em back I say!

1 Like

SEN Programming on 801 Gosford today.

They must have done a lot of work refurbishing the site when they took over, because the signal’s back like a local station at Floraville/Belmont North, just like the old days when it was 2GO.

5 Likes

Much stronger at my location too (Stanhope Gardens) seeks on the car radio locally.

At least they don’t need 747 at Gosford racecourse now.

2 Likes

Is 88.0 Vintage fm Penrith broadcasting out of spec >1.64w?
I could receive it clearly at Peakhurst at the M5 exit. 87.6 and 87.8 where the local LPONS Voice of ISLAM etc with no interference from Noise Fm Kurrajong Heights.

Sounding much better at Charlestown too.

That could still be picked up by SKY Sports Radio, but wouldn’t have the coverage that 801 gets.

1 Like

Sky Sports Radio had 747 Gosford when it was first released years ago, in fact I think SKY actually asked ACMA to make it an option in the Gosford LAP, & that’s also partly the reason it’s located at the Gosford racecourse.
They never did anything with it, & probably subsequently lost it due to the use it, or lose it clause for Narrowcast licences, so it’s unlikely they’ll go for it again?

2 Likes

Perhaps the ABC can make its way over to 747 relieving an FM cochannel :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Good idea! But I reckon if the ABC took it up, they’d be most likely to put Radio National on it, given how compromised 98.1 is there, in that moving News Radio to AM and putting a more desirable service like Triple J on would result in many complaints during summer in particular about cochannel interference from Power or i98. I wouldn’t like to see Local Radio moved off 92.5, but that’s a possibility too.

It’s ok in Pennant Hills 801 am.

2 Likes

Kix country 101.1 Nowra seems to be spewing out distorted audio of 2ST either side on 100.9 and 101.3.

2 Likes

801 Gosford was strong into Bungendore last night. Previously I had 5RM flat out, so Gosford must be putting out a decent signal.

3 Likes

News about 801 on SEN’s website https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/04/26/sentrack-801am-debuts-in-gosford/

1 Like

Looks like they’ve quietly added Atherton (99.1) and Ingham (96.9) too

3 Likes

I wish they had the normal SEN with the Cricket on in the summer time.

I reckon they’ve had to put SEN Track on these licences to satisfy the narrowcasting criteria. Though as we have discussed before, an all sport format in regional areas would probably fit the criteria.

A gross waste of spectrum imo; why we need another horse racing station beats me (I reckon the TAB is unnecessary).

2 Likes

Hear hear. It’s bad enough that one commercial licence in Melbourne is effectively a racing narrowcaster (3UZ). No we have another wasted commercial licence doing the same thing (3MP).

I don’t agree with the UK model where Ofcom determines the program formats of commercial radio stations. But in situations like these, it would be great if ACMA could step in and reallocate the licenses as narrowcasting and free up two commercial licences. Subject to spectrum availability of course. But we all know there’s plenty that could be found on AM if they really wanted to.

3 Likes

Went up to Kurrajong Heights today for a drive and found the transmitter for Noise Fm.
It is located at 12 Rain Ridge Rd Kurrajong Heights.
The fm broadcast antenna is mounted on the same mast as the TV antenna, probably less then 10m AGL.

The broadcast array looks to be Omni directional but it is terrain shielded to the west. Along the ridge top of Burralow Rd 20-40m higher Noise Fm is barely receivable and suffers from severe co-channel interference, but to the east it is received quite well to Marsden Park about 30km away
It’s absolute limit is Sunnyholt road Parklea and maybe a couple of Km’s to the west of the transmitter at Kurrajong Heights.

For a 1.64W LPON the altitude of the site gives it a very big coverage area to the east.

7 Likes

Further to my last post I was able to generate a coverage map for Noise Fm. The 48db coverage area extends from Kurrajong Heigjts to Richmond, and 40db coverage to around Box Hill / Schofields.
Again not bad for a LPON which are only allowed to cover 2km in residential areas / 10km in rural areas.

4 Likes

What format is Noise FM running?

Not really a narrowcast one. Mostly pop music 80s to 10s from what I’ve heard. I did hear them play Chantoozies Kiss and Tell earlier :+1: in fairness that would never be played on commercial.

“Beat FM” 87.8 is also transmitting on 87.6 from somewhere too. It was clashing with Noise FM along the M4 near St Clair.

3 Likes