Narrowcast and AM Narrowband Radio

Almost as hard to believe that Vintage 88 Penrith is only 1 watt :thinking:

1 Like

From what I understand, Classichitsfm and Vintage FM’s TX’s are on the top of escarpments in their respective broadcast areas…meaning that they will go out a lot further compared to a TX at sea level. As you would be aware, height is everything when it comes to FM transmission. …and line of sight!

If anything, it was probably poor planning on ACMA (or it’s predecessor the ABA) when planning these licenses years ago.

In my previous experience, 1 watt can go out 40+ km if the conditions are right and there are no other stations on the same frequency. Driving around today, I had a listen to Vintage 88.0 - it got out out a fair way - the only thing that stopped me from listening past Blacktown was interference from 2RDJ (which would be expected)…yet I could hardly pick up the new station The Beat on 87.8 in parts of Penrith and St Marys (interference from a spanish station), yet I picked it up quite well in Riverstone (which had direct line of sight to the Blue Mountains).

Speaking of The Beat - not too bad. Pretty much what AIR FM was, but sounding more professional! It was mostly 1980’s, many unflogged songs with the odd song from 1990 - no ads, no announcers. I didn’t hear any 1970’s music. The highlight would have been hearing Chilliwack’s My Girl, Waxx’s Bridge To Your Heart and Pookah Makes Three’s Take It Back!

Makes me wonder why 2UE didn’t run with a format like this!

4 Likes

Oh WOW! Pity I can’t get this station (and the website is a dud, didn’t work).

Re 2UE, the Chilliwack song was one of the tracks I suggested they play :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m about 50km away and where I am, get 88MHz permanently on my car radio.

1 Like

I see trouble ahead here.

Using a LPON as a Community Station is a big no no.

http://www.newsofthearea.com.au/community-radio-coming-to-tea-gardens-hawks-nest-53692?fbclid=IwAR1kVchkWAvCwqa8XutCo3kWtckpVte1Zn_SyHX2-XEuSvNFmRMxv6Gd2YE

5 Likes

Was going to dive through the ACMA website to see if such a case has come up before (I vaguely recall) but they’ve taken all their investigations offline - replaced with just a summary of the investigation and the outcome. Poor form.

Edit: bingo - Territory FM in Alice Springs https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/narrowcasters-under-acmas-spotlight

2 Likes

The original AIR FM in Penrith in the early 2000’s was found to be in breach for broadcasting a community format on a narrowcast licence.
Yes, it’s a definite no no!!!

5 Likes

Yeah I was thinking of starting a tourist information/community hybrid LPON in Bungendore at some point…I’d possibly get away with it since there is no other local service but probably best not to. Bungendore is in the 2QBN licence area but reception is actually pretty poor indoors on a portable.

I reckon the 2BRW licence area should be extended to Bungendore with a small (5 watt) repeater to cover the town. Not going to happen though. They would also have a case for a small repeater at Captains Flat since not much gets in there.

2 Likes

well…they let the TAB have a mega LPON network & they are a commercial operation - I thought that violates the LPON rules

The TAB format is wholly within the bounds of narrowcasting, but there is something to be said for reserving LPON frequencies for non-commercial ‘hobby’ type operations. This would be more in line with the LPFM sector in NZ. I would impose a 2-3 station ownership cap to encourage local content, whilst doing away with any format limitations. This would allow small local operations whilst excluding big commercial operators like Vision and the TAB. Let them bid for HPON licences instead.

The only problem with this approach might be operators running networked programming voluntarily (or being paid to do so) but you can’t really stop that…

2 Likes

Tourist information stations are indeed narrowcast, it would depend on the ‘community radio’ side of the programming

Yeah the tourist stations are (or were) the quintessential LPON. I think I remember Air FM Penrith introducing some (superficial) tourist information in order to make themselves appear less like a community station…obviously that was unsuccessful.

There used to be a narrowcast station in Bywong/Bungendore called ‘The Lake’. It played mainly 60s and 70s US hits (the operator was an ex pat Yank I believe). I only heard them on 88.0 but they advertised 87.8 for Bungendore. This was about a decade ago and the station has been silent for years.

2 Likes

I noted today that Greek Sydney broadcaster 2MM is currently off the air on 1665kHz in Sydney.

Anyone know how long that’s been the case for?

They are still streaming though.

https://www.2mm.com.au/

2 Likes

2MM is now back on air - 1665kHz.
UPDATE: 1 minute after posting they’re off air again - lol

1 Like

ACMA is currently inviting applications for HPON licences in Gosford (747 AM) & Hobart (104.3 FM).

Applications are due at 5pm on Monday 30th March.

More details: https://www.acma.gov.au/apply-high-power-open-narrowcasting-licences

2 Likes

Sky Racing/2KY must have given up on that one in Gosford, they had the licence for that years ago, with them to build a new mast & TX site at the back of the Gosford racecourse, but it never happened.

1 Like

I would apply but that non-refundable application fee of $837.00 hits the wallet hard. :sweat_smile:

I am surprise they are still putting out “new AM” stations.

104.3 Hobart will probably go to Kix Country; they are only on DAB there as far as I know. This would complement the 7AUS service on the Wet Coast. Not sure if there’ll be any great demand for the AM licence at Gosford if the TAB has indeed pulled out.

Possible or Vision Radio might grab both.

Ah yes the old Wet Coast :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like