Narrowcast and AM Narrowband Radio

In another thread I mention that 2rdj 88.1 was suffering interference. I confirmed (after going for a walk) it is 88.0. Although I did not hear the ID , I am pretty sure it is vintage fm.

However they current not broadcasting on 88.0 fm, the FAQ states 87.6FM in the Hawkesbury and Blue Mountains
87.8FM in Penrith and surrounds
88.7FM in Camden/Wollondilly

88.0 FM seems a bit close to 87.8 fm for Penrith. Does anyone know where 88.0 is coming from in Western Sydney?

88.0 is coming from Glenbrook and is licensed by My Local Radio PTY which is part of the same group as Vintage FM hence why the same programing, though 88.0 doesn’t seem to run the announcers that go to air on 87.6 and 87.8 but does the same music.

Vintage does promote the 88.0 frequency on there socials and website:

2 Likes

https://www.acma.gov.au/low-power-open-narrowcasting-licences

Interesting according to this The intended coverage area of LPON services is:

• 2km radius of the transmitter site for LPONs operating in residential areas
  • 10km radius of the transmitter site for LPONs operating in non-residential areas

If I can get reception its a bit more 10km :blush:.

Vintage FM is now advising listeners on 87.6 & 87.8 to re-tune to 88.0 and that Vintage FM will cease broadcasting on said frequencies.

3 Likes

88.0 comes in for me at my location around 50km away from Glenbrook.

I was in Penrith the other day and I could get Vintage FM on 87.6, 87.8 and 88.0 simultaneously. Where I am, 87.6 is Arabic, 87.8 is Spanish and 88.0 is Vintage.

3 Likes

Hopefully they put something worthwhile to air in its stead; having Vintage on three frequencies in the same general area is a gross waste of spectrum, even though we’re talking LPONs which are hoarded like bananas in Donkey Kong’s cave.

3 Likes

Yeah, I believe that they were asking people on Facebook (My Local Radio) to suggest potential formats for a new station on 87.8. It appeared many wanted the old AIRFM back…maybe we’ll see wall-to-wall 80’s again…
I hope so…so many unflogged songs got an airing (pardon the pun!)

2 Likes

I’d put Air FM on 87.8 and Ozy Radio on 87.6. Ozy Radio was Craig Allen’s SW station; it played all Australian music.

1 Like

I would do a dance music station, maybe even provide it to a small upcoming online dance station :stuck_out_tongue:
starterfm.com cough cough

2 Likes

Isn’t a certain clandestine broadcaster in Penrith putting you on air? :smiley:

Not of late.

Vintage 87.6 & 87.8 in Penrith are now off air which is a boon for Radio Austral which their reception reaching throughout Blacktown down to Penrith (Be it scratchy).
The only alt frequecies for Vintage now are 87.6 Richmond and 88.7 Camden.

2 Likes

2RDJ 88.1 at Burwood this will help too!

Vintage’s primary frequency is still 88.0 so no help for 2RDJ yet

I’ve wondered why narrowcast stations are 87.6, 87.8 and 88.0, why not 87.5, 87.7 and 87.9… that would allow for a bit more buffer against 88.1 and 88.3 (where in use).

I think Australian radios do go down to 87.5?

87.5 is the bottom end of the broadcast services band (BSB). Each FM service has a 200 kHz channel, so a service centred on 87.5 would span beyond the range of the BSB to 87.4, and up to 87.6.

Conversely, no services would be allocated to 108 MHz for the same reason

3 Likes

In my area 88.0 Vintage FM interferes with 88.1. Even though I am much closer to Burwood than Emu Plains.

A few services did use those frequencies in the early days of LPONs and before that, the limited licences framework under the old Broadcasting Act. There were even some on 108.0 I think. Would have to dig through the old ABT reports again (maybe a job for @TV-Expert) :wink: Surf FM Frankston is still listed on 87.9 I believe. 87.9 was also apparently used at Thredbo.

1 Like

The old Vintage FM frequencies of 87.6 and 87.8 are now playing The Beat (70s and 80s music), one of Wayne’s online radio stations.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Beat-Radio-1459677550934516

2 Likes

Not much is mentioned, nor the website of the station it self, but curious to know what license classichitsfm is using, and how much wattage. Seems very clear in Wollonggong right down to albion park. It may broadcast over a larger area, but don’t know as this was the only area i’ve travelled within someones car (as a passenger). If this is a LPON at 1 watt, this would be hard to believe, it’s quite a large coverage area for the wattage.

1 Like