Narrowcast and AM Narrowband Radio

It’s just Move FM Lithgow here in southern Sydney with not even a hint of anything else underneath. If they are on air, they’re at very low power.

Re. Vintage FM on 87.7, this could be a drifting tx. There are no licensed transmitters operating on 87.7 (or 87.9) to my knowledge. I could hear Vintage FM on 87.5 a couple of years ago which was quite annoying as Tonga uses that frequency.

2 Likes

Are you sure it wasn’t 88.7 MHz? Vintage FM do broadcast on 88.7 MHz. If it was broadcasting on 87.7 MHz, it’d interfere with both the Arabic LPON on 87.6 MHz and the Spanish LPON on 87.8 MHz.

I think they’re broadcasting over their licensed power levels given I can get their signal even in the eastern parts of Sydney, similar to 2KA Cool Country which was also used to be on 88.7 MHz.

Major technical problems?

With the station available on iHeartRadio (who the last I checked, have connections to ARN who incidentally are major sponsors of the Sydney Royal Easter Show) you really have to wonder why they still bother with a relatively low powered FM broadcast. Even if only at 32kbps (like Elf Radio is at Christmas time), surely the AFTRS students would really appreciate ARN allowing them to be on DAB+ for decent coverage across the whole Sydney metro area? :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s some space available on the DAB mux where ZIG are currently broadcasting dead air. Would have been ideal for Show Radio depending on your target audience or maybe not given DAB+ penetration/receivers/awareness… ??

2 Likes

That would be a good idea too although I suggested ARN bandwidth first, for obvious reasons.

As far as this listener can tell, Show Radio has primarily aired country music with advertising from event sponsors, news from 2GB (until and including the 2015 broadcasts, 2UE) and talk breaks about what’s happening at the Royal Easter Show - presumably not only aimed at people already at the event, but also people thinking about attending.

1 Like

DEFINITELY on 87.7MHz FM. I wonder if it’s a frequency dial up error by the tech on the 88.7FM transmitter? Can anyone hear Vintage FM on 88.7MHz? I haven’t seen a Sydney FM transmission drift that much yet (87.6 to 87.7 or from 87.8), but it’s possible I guess

Was some side splatter from Voice of Islam 87.6 at the time. 87.8 Austral wasn’t a bother
Perhaps there’s others around the Sydney area that can confirm.

I’ll have to take the laptop, SDR & antenna outwith me next time to capture the 87.6 - 88.0MHz spectrum.

In this location (only a relatively short drive away from Newington) 88.7 is static, while 87.8 is a weak signal of Radio Austral.

Don’t think I’ve ever received Vintage FM at home.

1 Like

I’m getting the same near Lidcombe. On 87.8 just then was an instrumental of Swanee River on the organ followed by a song in Spanish.

2 Likes

Nothing on 87.7 here. It’s more likely a spur rather than a tx drift.

88.7 Vintage FM (Camden) is strong.

1 Like

I can null out a carrier on 107.9 using the teccy so I’m guessing that’s Show radio and it’s still silent. Lithgow very much owns the freq here too. None of those Sydney 107.9 broadcasts ever even make a noise under Movefm on my omni rooftop.

Interesting on the listen now page they say *“AFTRS Show Radio is live on iHeart Radio or, if you are in the Homebush area, tune in on 107.9FM .” *
Kind of waving the white flag about the limited coverage.

2 Likes

…and if my brief listen of the online stream is anything to go by, last year’s Sydney Royal Easter Show radio commercials (“On now until April 3”) are still being aired on Show Radio - heard two played back to back leading into the 7pm Macquarie National News! :open_mouth:

I get that the whole station is being produced by AFTRS students, but surely they could at least update the playlist of ads to remove outdated spots each year?

2 Likes

You’d think that’d be part of the training.

2 Likes

Indeed. There was another shocker a few years back when a 2014 spot for 104.9 Triple M including promotion for “The One Percenters” (which I’m fairly sure didn’t last beyond the end of 2014) remained in the 2016 test transmissions before the playlist was updated to include promos for WSFM and The Edge.

One genuinely wonders whether the Nine News Sydney promos are still airing on Show Radio even though Seven appears to have taken over as the Royal Easter Show’s primary FTA TV network sponsor for 2019. If so that would be rather awkward, especially since one presumes that Seven would’ve spent a fair bit of money to snatch Nine’s sponsorship (which I’d imagine, would include some form of exclusivity when it comes to advertising even though most if not all FTA networks are granted some form of media accreditation at the Royal Easter Show)!

Different audio feeds for Radio Rhythm Melbourne MW outlets; heard on 1656 & new 1629kHz.

1 Like

Blast from the past, Joe Hildebrand and Matt Tilley on national drive. Great concept but wrong station, far too smart for MMM.

2 Likes

@ElCapitanCranky Did you notice if Arabic station 2ME were at the Easter Show? I’ve seen them there in previous years with an OB caravan.

I personally didn’t see 2ME while I was at the Showground on Friday.

Last year they weren’t too far from the main arena IIRC:

1 Like

Nope, didn’t see them.

2 Likes

You know Matt, it is entirely probable that the announcers on Show Radio are completely unaware of the no audio problem on 107.9FM transmitter.

The announcers sound quite young. Many of the Millennials (and even older) I know don’t even listen to radio on a device with a terrestrial tuner & antenna. Most of their media consumption is derived from Streaming apps on their smartphone, podcasts, TV or youtube etc. I could just imagine one technically naive millennial jumping into an old EH Holden with the old AM dial tuner asking what are these numbers or letters (eg 2BL) on the dial for & asking how do I find ABC Sydney on this antique device.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just a bit of fun everyone. Please don’t be offended. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’d be extremely surprised if Show Radio/AFTRS were unaware that 107.9 is dead air after two days though - that’s an incredibly long time for a FM broadcast (even a minor one like this) to be off air in the Sydney market! :open_mouth:

Surely most announcers on Show Radio would be in their 20s?

2 Likes