Music

First No.1 ARIA album sung in an indigenous language and documentary about Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu released today.

1 Like

It’s been a long time between drinks but an Aussie artist. 5 Seconds Of Summer, is number one this week on the singles chart and another Aussie is in the top 10.

1 - Youngblood - 5 Seconds Of Summer
8 - I Said Hi - Amy Shark

2 Likes

Aussie bands at the top of the ARIA album and singles charts with 5SOS and Sheppard.
https://www.ariacharts.com.au/news/2018/sheppard-score-first-1-album

1 Like

Good work from 5 Seconds of Summer being the first Australian artist in seven years to have a number one Single “Youngblood” and number one Album “Youngblood” in the same week. The last artist to do that was Gotye in 2011 on the Singles Chart with ‘Somebody That I Used To Know’ and on the Albums Chart with “Making Mirrors”.

This is the fifth week at number one on the Singles chart for 5 Seconds of Summer and it’s their second number one Single. Also, their third number one Album. 5SOS also top Australian Artist Singles, Australian Artist Albums, Streaming Singles, Australian Artist Streaming Singles. The Album is also close to the top of the charts in New Zealand, Netherlands, UK, Ireland and Belgium. The single also went to number one in New Zealand.

Also, good work from from for “Jess & Matt” (former X Factor contestants) whose new album hit number 11, especially since they get absolutely no support from radio. There have been six number one Albums in Australia so far this year: Sheppard’s Watching The Sky, Parkway Drive’s Reverence, Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu’s Djarimirri (Child Of The Rainbow), Kylie Minogue’s Golden and Vance Joy’s Nation Of Two.

2 Likes

Third number one in America and reports say they are the first Aussie act to have three albums debut at number one.

2 Likes

I wish we only had 5 Seconds Of Summer…unfortunately, both the band and the season seem to be sticking around a little longer these days.

2 Likes

Still far too long.

1 Like

Is a John Farnham miniseries on the horizon too, I wonder?

I doubt any network would be keen to do any biopic considering the last few have failed to fire.

Late reply, but surely the uni student demographic would support his comeback, as we did for Darrell Braithwaite and Shannon Noll.

I’m as excited as a kid on Christmas because new announcements/music coming out Wednesday.

- Dillon Francis the guy who would come all over the competition in the fortnite Pro-AM, and the man that made get low plus a whole more tracks, also new album announcement finally;

- aaaaand RL Grime’s Pressure is coming out - the guy who made core that has the pre drop sample of ‘who do the shit that we do’ that you’ve probably heard at festivals over the past 4.5 years. edit: it’s out it’s soooo fkn good.

1 Like
2 Likes

Great effort, though the Top 40 Country Album chart is fairly niche in this country.

It would be nigh on impossible to achieve that feat on the overall Top 40 chart.

Watch as Ed Sheeran does it though

1 Like

1,000 weeks is nearly 20 years.

To be honest, I’ll be surprised if Ed is still around in 10 years time. Yes, he is huge now, but todays music is so much more disposable, I don’t think it has the longevity of music from the 1960-80s

Well, I now have my copy of this CD that I posted about in the ‘Pure Gold’ thread a couple of weeks ago (as WSFM were giving away copies as part of a promotion)

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/music/browse/pop/80s-hits-huge-rare-recycled/318873/

Though NONE of the JB Hifi stores in my area have it in stock yet (only QLD at the moment by the looks of it), but Sanity does.

But the nearest Sanity store to me is 30 kms away in Raymond Terrace (there’s none anywhere in Newcastle anymore), but this 80s music tragic didn’t mind the 1 hour round trip to get it :grinning:. (and it’s $2 more expensive there too).

About to rip some songs off it onto my Sony Walkman.

2 Likes

Good to see another Aussie song hit number one on the singles chart: Be Alright by Dean Lewis following another in the last few weeks.

Also three Aussie singles in the top 10 with Youngblood by 5 Seconds Of Summer and Healing Hands by Conrad Sewell and another recent one dropping out: I Said Hi by Amy Shark.

There seems to be a new appreciation for Aussie music.

https://www.ariacharts.com.au/news/2018/dean-lewis-scores-first-aria-1-with-be-alright

4 Likes

hi yes hello time to promote myself, this is a lil something I did for a uni party. starts off slow, gets a bit heavier but give me some of that feedback if you feel like ya wanna :smiley:

I… have… a… feeling… you’ll… like… the… cover… artwork…

p.s. I might do a MS Mix Up so send me a pm if you want me to play your favourite tunes lmao.

1 Like

where did you get that photo of @Bort? :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

1 Like

Anyone know what song the Swans use in the countdown? I’ve tried Shazming it, but it doesn’t pick it up.