Music

Well you have some good taste in music with The Script and Kings of Leon. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ariane Grande, Ava Max, Mimi Webb, Freya Ridings and Sabrina Carpenter seem at complete odds with that style of music. Although they all sound same, same.

1 Like

They just happen to be four of my favourite female artists going around at the moment.

“Nonsense” by Sabrina Carpenter has just started to get some airplay on radio nearly three months after it was released in the United States. I knew her before that song, via the songs “Alien” (a collab with Jonas Blue) and “Skin”. She did tease the possibility of an Australian tour later this year on Smallzy’s Surgery on Nova this week.

Most music fans will still remember the song “Castles” by Freya Ridings, which was her international breakthrough. I wonder if her record label will push for her recent release “Weekends” to be played on radio; same goes for “Red Flags” by Mimi Webb which Sony Music has promoted this week.

I suggested that Webb’s newest single, which comes off the back of her UK Top 40 hit “Ghost of You”, could be her “New Rules” moment. Even this Billboard article suggests so:

She is also up for Best New Artist at the BRITs, which takes place next Saturday (February 11).

I also think she deserves much more promotion, plus a much better chart run in Australia; her only entry in the charts was “Dumb Love” which peaked at #43 in August 2021, while “Good Without” achieved a Gold status despite not charting. “24/5” and “House on Fire” also got some good airplay on the Nova Network between December 2021 and April last year.

Another forgotten artist that some music fans may (or may not) remember: Agnes Carlsson, who won Swedish Idol in 2005 aged 17.

I heard recently that she’ll be heading to Sydney for the Mardi Gras Party later this month. In 2009 she released the worldwide hit “Release Me” which peaked at #26 on the ARIA Charts; from what I remember the song received plenty of airplay on Nova and (what was then known as) MIX 106.5.

1 Like

She was also featured in the Avicii song “Tough Love” from the DJ’s posthumously released album “Tim”.

Though her other music didn’t chart well in Australia, Agnes (as she is more commonly known) was a good example of how successful Idol winners would become, others being Kelly Clarkson and of course our own Guy Sebastian.

About eight months after it was first released and pushed to radio in Australia, “Green Green Grass” by George Ezra has entered the ARIA Top 50 at #50.

It is his first entry in the charts since his massive hit “Shotgun” peaked at #1 in the third quarter of 2018.

I noticed that. It seemed to flop here when it was first released. Why do you think it suddenly charted?

Is it popular on Tik Tok? Or has it appeared in a movie or TV series?

Good question. I would have no idea, to be honest, as I have not heard the song on the major Sydney metro stations (104.1 2DAY, Nova, smooth, KIIS) in recent days or weeks.

All three of his albums (including his latest one “Gold Rush Kid”) have, though, peaked at no lower than #10, highlighting how well his music has been received here.

Elsewhere, on the albums chart, “Diamonds & Dancefloors” by Ava Max bombed out of the top 50 after just one week, while “Gloria” by Sam Smith dropped to number seven (after debuting at #1). “Midnights” is back on top.

1 Like

“Green Green Grass” by George Ezra also jumped up the UK chart this week from 61 to 19 so there must be some reason for the sudden boost.

1 Like

Also noticed this:

June 2021: “Remember” by Becky Hill and David Guetta is released in the UK.
February 2022 (to my knowledge): received its first airplay on radio in Australia and ended up being the second-most played song for the year (only Harry Styles’ “As It Was” was played more times)
August 2022: peaked at #34 on the ARIA Charts.

I wonder what the reason for the staggered milestones were. Also, it received its first airplay here after “My Heart Goes (La Di Da)” was played frequently over the 2021-22 summer; even though it was released before the said song.

I think it became big on TikTok didn’t it?

I don’t “Remember” how that song started becoming popular in Australia, some eight months after it was released, to be honest.

But what I do know was that “I’m Good (Blue)” (Guetta’s collaboration with Bebe Rexha) became an instant global success after a video featuring a snippet of that song went viral on TikTok; at the time the song was not yet complete so Guetta and Rexha collaborated to finish it, and within days we had a global smash hit which continues to be played around the world to this day.

1 Like

I would say Remember is a much, much better tune than I’m Good (Blue), which feels like a 2009 party tune that was rediscovered last year in lyrics and melody (acknowledging that it interpolates Eiffel 65’s much better song).

you make it sound like it was ancient, it’s less than six months old.

1 Like

That I definitely agree with, it’s not hard to know why it was the second-most played song on radio in Australia last year, with its excellent production and Becky’s vocals. I find “I’m Good (Blue)” to be overplayed on radio, which I find annoying, though I do understand why it hit number one in more than twenty countries as it interpolates a late-90s classic as you alluded to.

In between, Guetta and Hill had another collaboration with (another forgotten artist in) Ella Henderson, titled “Crazy What Love Can Do”. Many music fans would remember Henderson for her 2014 song “Ghost”, which still remains a favourite of mine.

1 Like

wasn’t sure where to put this

Half time:

Reaction very early seems very mixed, with seemingly Rihanna fans saying it was “amazing” (no surprises), but if you type the mentions “terrible” or “awful” etc into a social media paltform, there’s hundreds and hundreds by the minute slamming the performance.

Personally, while I’ve always liked Rihanna as an artist and enjoyed a few of her hits, I found it rather disappointing. It was only good at the very end, she saved one of her originals from 16 years ago (“Umbrella”) and one from a few years later and arguably becoming her biggest (“Diamonds”) to finish with the crescendo.

I thought the audio was delayed but nope, Lip Sync well and truly in action. Was more just a dance show really with audio being played in the back.

Camera work however sensational as always.

1 Like

Noticed that straight away too, although at times it certainly looked/sounded like her live audio was coming through a bit

It’s a tough balance I guess, priority number 1 is the Choreography, execution is non negotiable. Audio less relevant, anything that the performer can contribute on top of the background audio is a bonus I guess.

Just looks a bit messy when the lip sync is a bit off, can be done very well if everything lines up. I guess she hasn’t done a live in 7 years, we will cut her some slack!

I see “Umbrella” is already doing the rounds, in part thanks to everyone flashing back to Spider Man Tom Holland’s unforgettable (unfortunately) impression a couple of years ago on Lip Sync Battle :joy:

Lol.

2 Likes