Music

How do you figure that out?

I just listened to it for the first time - its going to get annoying real quick

The Thrift Shop phenomenon.

Because Mackelmore had no success after that? That actually contradicts the argument.

Tones and I’s Dance Monkey has become the first Australian song to top Spotify Global Chart.

1 Like

TONES AND I’S DANCE MONKEY HITS 12 WEEKS AT #1
‘Dance Monkey’ by Tones And I holds #1 for a twelfth consecutive week. Two other tracks have also held the top spot for that long: Pharrell Williams’ ‘Happy’ (2014) and Eminem’s ‘Lose Yourself (2002/03). This week, ‘Dance Monkey’ became the first single by an Australian artist to top Spotify’s Global Chart. Tones And I will have to spend 15 weeks at #1 to equal Ed Sheeran’s 2017 record for most weeks at #1 on the ARIA Singles Chart. Tones And I’s ‘Never Seen The Rain’ returns to #21, the peak it previously held in August.

They played that song on 2Day FM today and said it was “new music”.
Well not if its been been at No. 1 for 12 weeks already.

It’s an okay song I guess, but I think it’s more of a reflection on the quality of today’s music that it’s STILL No. 1.

Kids today and their music… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Also number 1 in at least 18 countries now.

1 Like

lol, this has been standard operating procedure for any top 40 FM station forever - especially for less established artists.

1 Like

Yeah I know, but that doesn’t really make it right!

In relation to @JBar 's post about kids today and their music, as posted in the “Did They Really Just Play That” thread, at least some of them are discovering older music such as the “Don’t Stop Believing” example, which is great.

It’s newer than most of 2DayFM’s playlist now they’ve shifted towards adult contemporary regardless

1 Like

Which has happened with past generations too. I can remember a few 50s and 60s songs having a revival back in the 70s or 80s, for one reason or another.

2 Likes

Personally, I didn’t really start discovering older music (70s and earlier) until the 1990s when I felt as though the new music then wasn’t as good as what I had heard growing up (or trying to) in the 1980s.

Tones and I’s Dance Monkey is now one week away from tying with Ed Sheeran’s all time record of most weeks at No.1 on the ARIA singles chart (15 weeks with Shape of You). Dance Monkey today broke Shape of You’s record for most consecutive weeks at #1 on the singles chart, spending 14 weeks in a row on top.

2 Likes

ONJ and Farnham songs added to the NFSA’s Sounds of Australia.

https://www.nfsa.gov.au/about/our-mission/sounds-australia?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Enewsletter%20November%202019&utm_content=Enewsletter%20November%202019+CID_f96a0d632af57f247f032d90c8197829&utm_source=Email%20marketing%20software&utm_term=EXPLORE%20THE%20SOUNDS%20OF%20AUSTRALIA

1 Like

TONES AND I EQUALS SINGLES CHART RECORD
Spending its 15th week in the top spot, ‘Dance Monkey’ by Tones and I equals the record for most weeks at #1 on the ARIA Singles Chart, tying the record set by Ed Sheeran’s ‘Shape Of You’ in 2017. Meanwhile, the singer-songwriter’s single ‘Never Seen The Rain’ climbs two places to return to #10.

2 Likes

Never heard it. I doubt it’s better than Shock The Monkey.

1 Like

OK Boomer. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You can relax… it’s not … ” Shock The Monkey” was made in an era when REAL music existed,

Getting to #1 was much harder back then too, there were no social media influences and a much more diverse style of music was being released.

1 Like