Movies

Not after I saw the trailer. Looks nothing like Sonic in the games! At least they’ve owned up and said they’ll fix the eyes.

These vouchers do expire towards the end of the year, and I do have movies on my watch list to use it on, plus some Cinebuzz points to use.

Not sure if correct thread

Been meaning to bring this up for a while, the distribution of Australia’s home entertainment (film DVDs) has changed significantly in recent years…

As of a few years ago, Universal and Sony (formerly Columbia TriStar) are now merged as “Universal Sony Pictures” Home Entertainment. Based in Sydney.

As of a year ago, Paramount shut down its Sydney office and its distribution is now handled by the Universal-Sony arm (as seen recently on the back of updated cover DVDs).

Warner Bros Home Entertainment (formerly Warner Home Video) shut down its Sydney office around 2015 and its distribution is now fully handled by Roadshow (as a number of titles already were).

MGM Home Entertainment Australia only lasted a couple of years from 2003, when they started a main Sydney (and also Melbourne) offices, regaining distribution from 20C Fox. It then shut down after the global MGM mid-2000s collapse and reverted to 20C Fox, or in some cases like Bond and newer releases Sony.

Walt Disney Company Australia (formerly Buena Vista Australia) still operates out of Melbourne.

20C Fox Home Entertainment still operates out of Sydney.

The early 2000s were booming for home media, with Australia one of the leading territories.

I would’ve thought Paramount would have gone with Warner Bros, as they release some of Paramount’s titles overseas. Looks like Paramount may have reunited parts of the old UIP/CIC in Australia, only with Sony’s involvement.

20th Century Fox I can see being merged with Disney’s HE arm sooner rather than later.

I used to do merchandising for (IIRC) Disney, Roadshow and Warner, maybe even Paramount too. I think it was on behalf of Technicolor, or whoever did the manufacturing and/or physical distribution in Australia

1 Like

Yes, I picked up a recent Star Trek: Discovery DVD in JB HiFi and noticed it had the CBS, Paramount, Universal and Sony logos.

Yep, so in some time, essentially of the major Hollywood studios there’ll only be two Australian home entertainment offices existing? Disney & Universal-Sony.

That’s an interesting one. It’ll be because Paramount for many years have an exclusive licence to create and distribute CBS’ content (e.g.) NCIS DVDs. And Universal-Sony now having to distribute the DVDs themselves in Australia.

This is amazing. I had no idea that Flying High! (a.k.a. Airplane!) was taken almost verbatim from a 1957 drama, Zero Hour.

“I was under Oveur and oveur was under Dunn… That’d mean you were over Dunn and I was Oveur under… So, Dunn was over Oveur and I was over Dunn” (or however it went, actually think that’s from the 2nd movie?)

Just one of many hilarious quotes/scenes form the franchise, a fave :joy:

I still think Leslie Nielsen’s scene stealing performance in the first movie just about tops it “I just wanted to let you know good luck, we’re all counting on you (in a very calm manner, while everyone else is panicking and the plane about to crash, and he keeps coming back!)

Wasn’t it always supposed to be a piss take on this and other air disaster movies?

yes but I had no idea that large chunks were almost directly copy and pasted from the 1957 title.

1 Like

before I got sidetracked by Flying High…

“X-Men: Dark Phoenix” will be theatrically distributed by Disney in the US, after all other films in the franchise were distributed by 20C Fox (following the new takeover).

Though I seem to recall seeing 20C Fox logo on the Australian trailer? If so, perhaps their office here is still handling it for this territory?

You learn something new every day! (I too didn’t know that)

Remember when 10 used to air “Jerry Maguire” (1996) every second week? A quick check of historical TV guides shows (for example) they aired it 4 times in the space of a few months in late 2008 (though that could’ve been because they were about to lose rights to Nine who’d signed the Sony output). Getting off track here…

Anyway, watched this movie again. Such a good film! I love James L Brooks’s productions (one of The Simpsons talented execs), who creates such heartwarming yet powerful pictures, another was a year after this and Oscar winner “As Good As It Gets” (also a fave). Tom Cruise and Renee Zellweger (her blockbuster breakout) hit the right acting notes and chemistry in this. Cuba Gooding Jr was hilarious. And some of the most famous Hollywood lines “SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!” … “You had me at hello”.

Seeing “Toy Story 4” this week, can’t wait, hear it’s as good as all the others, amazing :smile:

Mentioned on HYBPA this evening

Ridiculous.

Let’s go through every movie and television program ever made and make edits.

3 Likes

If anything, it should stay in there as a reminder of what was wrong in that era.

Go around to watching yesterday last week. Decent but extremely predictable storyline. i’d give it 7.5/10 simply because the beatles music gives it an extra 2.5 points in my book

“Popcorn dropping moment”

However, traditionalists can relax: she’s not the new Bond, but a new character who takes over his secret agent number after he leaves MI6.

Yet we’ll still bait reactionaries online with wild headlines and open our comments to racist and sexist abuse!

The film will be made in Queensland next year with the support of the Queensland Government, Screen Queensland and the Australian Government’s Producer Offset program.

Rare CIC logo from 1981 - this was the forerunner to United International Pictures, which was then split up in Australia to Universal and Paramount.

The original clip on Vimeo as originally captured.