Movies on TV

Long absense.

1 Like

“You’ve Got Mail” (1998) network premiere on 7flix. Formerly always on Nine (AFAIK) and used to get run a lot. From WB

Stylised WB opener in that year, as well as for the movie in an internet dial-up/static theme

1 Like

Throwback to November 2004 - ‘Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone’ Channel Nine Premiere Promo:

5 Likes

The first film that displayed a copyright notice in the promo on Australian FTA IIRC.

2 Likes

Never understood why Warner Brothers et. al. chose to require networks to show this

5 Likes

Nine have been doing it again recently on all their Walt Disney promos

1 Like

When Harry Potter movies premiered on TVB Pearl (English-language channel in Hong Kong) a few years ago, a copyright notice was also shown during promos.

1 Like

Also in NZ.

Maybe a stipulation from JK Rowling to ensure she maintained control/credit over the characters (so she could retcon them on Twitter years later)?

Remembering at this time, Harry Potter was the hottest property in the world so they could pretty much attach anything to the contract and people would agree

4 Likes

David Campbell once again introducing ‘The Wonderful World of Disney’:

1 Like

Looks like Disney have provided a modern ‘cover up’ version to Nine? As if I’m not mistaken that definitely wasn’t the WD logo back in the mid-1990s?

Edit

Yep:

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure the blu-ray release from 2010 had the new WD opener? (for the first and second movies)

3 Likes

“LotR” split movie for classification at 8:30pm on 9Go, with some stylised modifications by Nine

1 Like

Surely the ACMA should tell Nine to cut out this part 1/part 2 nonsense. Will Foxtel show a movie with two different classifications? Absolutely not.

1 Like

“Unstoppable” network premiere

Nine are the only ones who do it, only started doing it a few months ago.

1 Like

I know it happens in the UK a bit (particularly with Channel 5 and ITV to a degree) where a movie can sometimes be split in two to accommodate either a news update or an actual bulletin

1 Like

Also happens in Hong Kong’s TVB Pearl. When Pearl shows a movie it never starts earlier than 9.30pm. Occasionally the movie has to be split into two to accommodate the late news which must be shown at or before midnight due to licence regulations. But the movie keeps the same classification throughout.

1 Like

I’m sure the networks have cleared any potential hurdles before starting this practice.

1 Like

Says the network that’s been in trouble with the ACMA more than anyone else, time for Richard Lyle to be put to pasture me thinks. They’ve never even followed the Code guidelines by the book like Ten or Seven, making up their own consumer advice and weird stuff like 15 years ago.

I actually did wonder that some time ago, seeing as he’s been at Willoughby since the late 1970s and runs the commercial classification co-operative “media classifiers Australia”, that perhaps he thinks he ‘knows better’ than the ACMA.

3 Likes

Pretty much … and because sometimes ACMA is clueless:

Back in 2009/10 the television series Dante’s Cove was rated MA 15+ by the classification board for DVD but ACMA said that Nine should have edited scenes for broadcast so the series could fit within the MA 15+ rating.

3 Likes

Broadcasters always think they know better than regulators, by pushing the boundaries.

Unfortunately, most of the time they’re right because the regulators come across as out of touch/step.

2 Likes