Movies on TV

No, Nine never tag-line these. Only Seven do it “first time on 7” or “first time on 7mate”. The exact above graphic is used when it’s a FTA premiere on 9Go!

It seems to be they’ve got it wrong like this before when the movie hasn’t aired in a long time (i.e.) case in point. It’s laziness by staff not checking OzTam history or historical programming guides for the title, just assuming it’s a FTA premiere.
As Seven (for example) are always correct with their promos when using “premiere” or “first time” or none (if a repeat).

Not a big issue, but it is misleading and lazy.

1 Like

I realise you’re not a TV network, but you’ve labelled a lot of movie airings in this thread as network premieres yourself when they haven’t been! :joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

it’s just their EPG that is sloppy?

3 Likes

Evidently so. But they fixed that automation/programming issue some months later, by removing EPG add-ons altogether.

2 Likes

This backs-up my comment above. 9Go! are airing Hanna tonight, but they didn’t put “premiere” on the promo, as they must know it’s aired on another FTA network before:

But it’s a recent film. Last aired on Boxing Day night on 7flix in 2017. Premiered on Seven in 2013. Again from NBC-U.

Whereas 40 Days & 40 Nights (as discussed) also has its first Nine run, but it’s over 15 years old and Nine clearly didn’t research very hard and came to the lousy conclusion it was a FTA premiere. Which gets them into the aforementioned strife.

1 Like

FTA premiere. From Seven’s 20C Fox output.

It was a box office success and received mixed reviews.

Seven had the rights to “Grease” for as long as I can remember, from Paramount (though Nine will no doubt have SVOD rights through their new Stan deal). 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s. (Nine and/or 10 may have got rights once or twice in-between in some markets?)

Seven last aired it after the epic GWS vs Western Bulldogs AFL Prelim in 2016 (itsself the second highest rating non-Grand Final game in history).

Nine then aired it on the Aus Open Women’s Final night the next summer (January 2017). Nine last aired it on 9Gem in July last year. Must’ve only been licenced limited runs.

1 Like
2 Likes

lol at the comment by Lyle of Nine about airing family friendly movies earlier. It can’t be family friendly if it is classified M!

4 Likes

Can’t be any worse than shows like The Block which has become anything but family friendly, not to mentioned the likes of Married at First Sight.

5 Likes

Wonder if a certain member on this forum that has a massive hangup on this practice has been having a whinge to the ACMA :rofl:

3 Likes

I hope you’re not referring to me :roll_eyes: I realise you’ve never liked me since day dot, I’ve never done anything to you, but you’re constantly antagonising me / intentionally having digs at me.

But you’ll be pleased to know I’ve never contacted the ACMA (lol wtf) and Knoxy at TVT has posted multiple articles on this off his own volition, clearly others have noticed and have interest, lots commented on there today…

1 Like

“The Cabin In The Woods” (2011) FTA premiere

(Never aired on Nine, despite being licenced by Roadshow and now 8 years old)

2 Likes

Some presentation elements (which seem a bit outdated now following the network changes at NPC)

2 Likes

Jennifer Lawrence movie Mother had its FTA premiere on SBS tonight. When it screened in cinemas in 2017 it divided critics and audiences alike.

2012 Studiocanal cover-up logo seen at the start of “Total Recall” (1990) last night on 7mate, the same copy they used in 2012/2013 when the last had these rights

Not seen on older copies or theatrically when realised. Wonder if Nine’s version had this (they recently aired this film a lot).

1 Like

Upcoming Saturday prime time on 7flix:

“Singin’ in the Rain” (1952)

“Casablanca” (1942)

Both all time Hollywood icons. Both licenced by WB (from Seven’s current output).

1 Like

This finally made it to air tonight

Ben Hur (original) previously aired on Nine under their old WB output, often weekend arvos in a marathon air time

1 Like

First time in more than 15 years the movie airs on Nine, also the first time Nine has the entire Star Wars collection thanks to its deal with Disney.
I believe Nine will show one Star Wars movie each Saturday, culminating with Episode VIII: The Last Jedi on November 23. The Last Jedi will be FTA premiere, while Episode VII will be Nine’s first screening. Not sure about the other five titles though - have they aired on Nine before?

1 Like

Interestingly, they used to be licensed by 20C Fox (10 last aired them around 2011/2012 under that output).

After Disney acquired Lucasfilm (who hold rights to all but the original) licencing switched to them, returning rights to Seven in 2015 (but must’ve been only one or two runs).

The Phantom Menace originally premiered on Nine in April 2002:

6 Likes