Movies on TV

No, as in specially monetizing the Wonderful World of Disney with a principal partner, like with the aforementioned example

The FTA premiere of Beauty and the Beast did pretty well last night. I think Seven is regretting letting the Disney deal lapsing and picked up by Nine. Also, had Presto (streaming service owned by Foxtel and Seven) been still in the business, it could have been streaming Disney movies rather than Stan.

This was at the end of “Legends of the Fall” (1994) on Nine, must be a new copy as it had the newer logo of Sony at the end:

sorry for quality, had to get right angle due to glare on Plasma

NB/ Sony seem to be the only TV distributor still attaching such logo to the end of their movies licenced to TV networks globally.

Disney (formerly Buena Vista) used to and logos can still be seen at the end of some movie copies on Seven from mid-2000s and also Criminal Minds.

Roadshow also used to for movies on Nine.

But 20C Fox don’t seem to, neither do Paramount.

I have seen the odd Universal Television logo at the end of some movies on TV, most recently “Lucy” on Seven.

Why? It was their choice as you say. Probably saving a lot of money too.

They’ve instead been licenced a stack of Warner Bros catalogue titles, including popular “Harry Potter” movies which by your reasoning Nine must also be disappointed to no longer have…

Movies recently from other distributors such as “The Dressmaker” premiere, Indiana Jones re-runs and even Disney re-runs Seven still air have rated similar for them.

1 Like

Second Marvel movie to have FTA premiere on Nine.

1 Like

It’s on 9Go next Friday night in case you want to watch it

1 Like

FTA premiere, from Seven’s 20C Fox deal.

1 Like

David Campbell again with the Disney movie intro on Nine.

2 Likes

Yes, despite covering up any branding on the post-mix machine you can still vaguely see Pepsi Max-branded cups in the background! :wink:

Perhaps cinema aficionados might also know exactly which one Nine would’ve filmed these segments in.

2 Likes

44%20PM

Hayden Orpheum Picture Palace, Cremorne.

Does Mike Walsh still own that?

4 Likes

Which city? There’s at least two of them.

There’s only one Hayden Orpheum, which narrows it down to one.

2 Likes

There’s a Hayden Orpheum that looks exactly the same in Cremorne, Victoria?

2 Likes

…and in true Channel Nine style, it’s not that far from either their old or new Sydney HQ! :slight_smile:

…and for television history buffs it’s across the road from where the outdoor location shots for Ten’s famed drama dud Arcade were done.

5 Likes

‘The Wonderful World of Disney’ 9Go! Promo:

2 Likes

Returning to Nine (last aired in 1990s).

Been on Seven for more than a decade (though only aired every few years, last in late 2017 after the AFL GF).

Was also on 10 in the 2000s (they also premiered the first two in the 1980s).

Thankyou to @Zampakid for some of this info too

FTA premiere, from Nine’s soon to be elapsing deal with MGM (I haven’t heard anything about if they will or have re-negotiated another deal).

2 Likes

If Nine’s deal with MGM is about to lapse, is there any chance Seven or Ten will get the rights to 007 movies once again? That is the only lucrative part of the MGM deal.

2 Likes

All I know for sure (100%) is that a stack of Nine’s MGM movie rights expire in June this year.

But whether it’s the whole output or incrementally, I’m not sure. And as mentioned unsure of any re-negotiations/extentions (which for some reason networks are notoriously secretive about and kept from public unless media get a hold of info).

And I guess yes (and again I’m sure nobody would know until we see it scheduled one day) Seven and/or 10 might go after MGM if they can? James Bond being the obvious lucrative pull.

2 Likes

Do you know when the James Bond movies will disappear from Stan?

1 Like
  1. the majority of the public and media don’t care about movies switching networks etc and renewing a movie deal for a FTA network in 2019 isn’t exactly something the media is going to investigate or Nine’s spin department is going to both release.

2. I imagine it’s probably not in the interest of either party to release too many details.

5 Likes