Monday 30 May 2022

Showing H and A has problems too - not only is it just 30 minutes per night - Seven would need to air 9 extra episodes each week to fill the Big Brother void - it also gets demos almost as bad as Big Brother.

They also need to consider sponsors - how many more KFC feasts are there this season?

3 Likes

Including tonight, there are five episodes of BB until Queen’s Birthday Monday (June 13) when Seven’s primetime schedule will get the AFL lead-in (Collingwood v Melbourne) especially in Melbourne and Adelaide. If the show’s ratings don’t improve by then, Seven will have no choice but to bump BB to 7mate or 7flix.

Or just air it at 8.30/9.00 after whatever other filler they can find. Nine did this in its final season on the network in the show’s previous incarnation.

Is it too late for a last minute editing at BB? They’d obviously still have all the footage so maybe they’ll get the message that the viewers are after more interaction and less strategising. I’m sure there’s lots of amusing things happening in the house that we’re not seeing.

2 Likes

It’s possible but would be very costly and likely have little impact on the ratings at this stage.

I don’t think that general re-editing would make any difference at this late stage - viewers have already made up their minds. However they could try condensing the Tuesday and Wednesday episodes into one - as there is no eviction on Tuesday. Then they would only be exposed to the show on 2 nights of the week. Then reschedule Wednesdays - even just run Britain’s Got Talent at 7.30 (or not).

73K lead over Nine Melbourne… this is massive for Seven News.

1 Like

For this climate though, there’s the potential that’d backfire further and pull 100k or less and drag down Seven’s shares each night. A m/c (as sponsors have been signed) and 7Plus proposition only would probably be less risky?

Any idea what has caused this turnaround? Hitch has always been very popular in Melbourne so I’m surprised people are now moving to Ch7.

The Sunday bulletin benefited from a huge lead-in audience watching the Collingwood v Carlton blockbuster. Maybe viewers liked what they saw and are sticking with Seven.

1 Like

A number of factors.

• Sunrise (big improvement in Melbourne)
  • The Chace (Lead in)
  • Election Coverage (debate)
  • War on Ukraine Coverage
  • New Graphics
  • AFL Content
  • Better Promotion
  • Introduction of Rebecca Maddern.
4 Likes

One contributor - The Chase had a big lead into the news in Melbourne. Looking at the peak audience (rather than the average) of The Chase - it was the number 3 program in Melbourne - partly explained by viewers tuning in to the news

And Family Guy, which is basically the Border Security and Highway Patrol of 7mate / 7flix currently.

I’m pretty confident in saying they will never replace Big Brother with Family Guy.

2 Likes

There’s no sense of excitement any more. BB needs to have live elements. Same with The Voice. Let’s hope Idol is live whenever it finally makes it to air.

2 Likes

I have repeatedly said 7 needs a current affairs show (The Project /Latest style) at 7.00, and should package H&A as two one-hour episodes at 7.30 Wednesday and Thursday all year.

Plus it’s very repetitive. Every single episode - Survivor style challenge, nominations, 30 minutes of nothingness as the nominees attempt to persuade others, Sonia robotically reading the autocue and someone getting evicted.

3 Likes

It is also quite possibly one of the most addictive regular spots on television, The Final Chase (the few minutes leading up to 5:59pm news), where the Chaser has to try and ‘chase’ the amount of steps the team was able to generate from correct answers in the immediately preceding segment, often going right down to the final second, sometimes involving a few twists like come-from-behind wins.

Agree about Big Brother but I can see SAS perhaps coming back (definitely not at the beginning of the year though) considering it does decently on BVOD.

Your hypothesis doesn’t make sense. If what you outlined was true, Celebrity Apprentice on Nine wouldn’t be all but dead either while MasterChef wouldn’t be struggling despite this season featuring popular past contestants in an attempt to revive its ratings.

From what I’ve seen and heard many share a consensus that Nine and 10 put in effort and do good shows with big budgets and flair (though that’s debatable at times). Seven on the other hand are perceived to be ‘cheap and tacky’.

Just look through the MediaSpy forum and other sites like TVTonight where there’s a lot of talk about how Survivor is high quality from production perspectives and how Masterchef is just the top of the crop (which is true to a certain extent but it’s been glow glow and more glow for the show). Not sure if it’s a general consensus or direction of media websites but it’s what it is.