Monday 30 January 2023

Ouch

7 Likes

Nine had a rare win in all markets. Nine won all key demos with 10 second (main channel and network).

Outside the top 20 included:

21 ABC Q+A-LE
22 Nine NINEā€™S AFTERNOON NEWS
23 Seven SEVEN NEWS AT 4.30
25 Seven SUNRISE
26 Nine HOT SEAT -5PM
28 Nine TODAY
31 10 FBI: MOST WANTED
33 SBS SBS WORLD NEWS
34 Nine NINE NEWS LATE -MON
36 Seven BELOW DECK DOWN UNDER
52 Seven BELOW DECK DOWN UNDER-EP.2
56 10 FBI: MOST WANTED LATE RPT

Sunrise was 30k ahead of Today at breakfast with News Breakfast +40k further back with a very poor result finishing third in all markets.

Syd S > T > N
Mel T > S > N
Bri T > S > N
Ade S > T > N
Per S > T > N

2 Likes

Nine must be devastated they went for tennis rightsā€¦

4 Likes

Yeah personally I donā€™t care the for the auditions. Iā€™ll watch when the live shows are on. I want to see live event television.

2 Likes

The whole discussion/debate about the benefit of having the rights to one sport/competition over another and the direct & indirect flow-on impact it has on programming is more nuanced than the reporting (and some of the discussions here) seem to suggest.

1 Like

Wow very surprised by these ratings. MAFS destroyed the competition as expected, but I didnā€™t think Idol would have such a low result.

4 Likes

I wouldnā€™t write Idol off yet. It is very early stages and could gain momentum as it progresses. Hopefully it can at least outdo Survivor.

MAFS had a huge advantage with the tennis lead in and still seems to have the pulling power.

2 Likes

Yepā€¦ its the same with MKR when Seven had the tennis.

3 Likes

The only thing that will topple MAFS is a new show that has water cooler appeal. Until then, everyone will gravitate to MAFS as they will feel like they are missing out if they donā€™t! Oz idol and Oz survivor are good shows, but neither are really watercooler or scandalous or headline generating in any way, no matter how much their channels push it.
Only chance 7 has with their slate is to move a live, back to basics Big Brother against MAFS (Iā€™m Not convinced they can pull it off-give it to ten please) or if someone buys rights to the Circle.

3 Likes

Yeah I couldnā€™t care less about that whole charade, which seems to have become a News Corp/Seven vs Nine/SMH or cricket fans vs tennis fans thing.

All I was getting at is, until the day itā€™s proven otherwise, it seems to have an inextricably linked track record (Seven in 2000s and 2010s with Housewives, Lost, Prison Break, Ugly Betty among many others and then MKR) and recent years with Nine and Married. You canā€™t put a price on that sort of wall-to-wall promotion in all sorts of forms morning to very late for 14+ days straight up to the night before launch.

1 Like

according to this article:

• Big Brother has also completed filming (save for its finale), but Seven is dumping an early subtitle it teased.
  • ā€œWe wonā€™t be calling it House of Love, it will just be Big Brother, ā€ he confirms.
  • ā€œWe tried over the years to broaden Big Brother out and had varying success on broadcast. Weā€™ve tried to make it pre-recorded, family safe, more games. This will be a more stripped-back, traditional Big Brother, where the cast is younger.
  • ā€œThere wonā€™t be so much gameplay, itā€™ll go back to more Big Brother from the past. It was becoming almost Survivor-esque. During COVID we had control over it, it was an amazing thing. Weā€™ve now thought thereā€™s so much in that space, let it be more raw Big Brother.
2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty surprised Australian Idol didnā€™t do well. I honestly thought that from what I watched it was well produced and Iā€™m not a massive fan of Sevenā€™s reality offerings in general.

I did watch Survivor and the launch was long but feels like it is going to be a good season.

I watched the final 5-10 mins of MAFS after Survivor which honestly is the most Iā€™ve ever watched of that show, and it looked like horrendous television with incredibly ugly personalitiesā€¦ I donā€™t get the appeal :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Big Brother would stand no chance against MAFS for the very same reasons you outlined why people gravitate towards the latter.

I said this previously but MAFS is as close to a laboratory designed for ratings program weā€™ll ever see - almost every aspect of it from who is paired up (the ā€˜scandalā€™ that was hyped up all summer is the perfect example of that) to the dinner parties (which was inspired by the drama of MKRā€™s ā€˜instant restaurantsā€™ in its heyday) and the commitment ceremonies (i.e., a far more dramatised version of The Bachelor/Bacheloretteā€™s rose ceremonies) are all deliberately designed to either cause tension, drama, scandal or a combination of any or all of the aforementioned things.

One of the reasons why the show performs as well as it does year after year is itā€™s unashamed about genuinely not wanting the ā€˜couplesā€™ to succeed and as such, it provides the ā€˜car crashā€™ type of TV viewers seemingly canā€™t get enough of.

1 Like

If only theyā€™d done the more ā€˜traditionalā€™ Big Brother last year when they brought back all the old housemates. What a waste.

1 Like

Seven advise that Idolā€™s (national) BVOD audience was 58,000.

Seven also commented:

Australian Idolā€™s launch was a hit with younger viewers, boosting its timeslot audience year-on-year:

ā‡§ 12% 25 to 54s ā‡§ 22% 16 to 39s

2 Likes

I was expecting double that for Idol.

Early days yes, but itā€™s clear itā€™s not going to ā€˜settleā€™ around 800-1m range which is what I would have guessed.

HUGE cash was thrown at this. Horrendous result.

3 Likes

Although i did tip Idol to rate low for its launch (in the tv ratings predictions topic), i underestimated Survivor, and didnā€™t expect that to beat it. So well done to Ten. Expect Idol to do better for the top 50, then top 24, and then the top 12/results shows? Youā€™d hope so.

MAFS - another hit for Nine.

Q&A returned to Monday nights, with no fanfare in here. lol. It did come 21st for the night, which is good (as in second in its timeslot). Will see how it holds throughout the year.

1 Like

5 capital cities Survivor beat Idol in Total Prople and every demographic.

1 Like

Ah gotcha, thanks ā€¦ I think I got confused because Idol beat Survivor nationally, but not across the 5 Capital Cities.

1 Like

We canā€™t post regional ratings here fam, as much as we would like to

4 Likes