Mock Schedules

Ten-CBS would be a better name

I think they’ll stick with TEN as they’ve acknowledged the strong brand recognition in what little they’ve said about the takeover.

But I could give CBS10 a go.

Hopefully TEN have a massive rebrand and get the CBS quality and inspired station ID’s, news sets, graphics etc

1 Like

We can only dream :star_struck:

2 Likes

But ten have 3 channel brands now. It’d be a waste to move to 3 brands CBS, One, and 11… losing the most recognised one.

Which… to bring this back to Mock Schedules, is why I do like the idea of a “CBS” channel following the US network closely. CBS quality, station IDs, news, sets, graphics - as you say.

But with TEN showing our far more Aussie shows … reality shows, Neighbours, studio 10 and The Project. Which is TEN’s current brand recognition plus fills Australian content regulation. “TEN” instead of “CBS Australian”

Make people think we’ve got a brand new high end channel CBS in addition to TEN. If it’s possible.

The question would be where does a 60minutes style show belong, or Eyewitness News (which is what CBS already calls their news in the USA).

Edit: Though I think “CBS Eyewitness News” at 6pm sends a message to viewers that it’s a major player, due to its recognised time slot.

1 Like

In the US, CBS News goes up against NBC News and ABC News at 6:30pm, so a 6pm edition is not so far fetched. However, before they take a gamble like that they will need to make inroads on the gap between itself and the number 2 network (in most of Australia, that would be Nine or its regional affiliate).

Also, there is no guarantee that CBS will fill Ten and the secondary channels with just CBS programming, because they will still be looking at what will bring the best return for CBS. Some deals may remain with some shows being packaged for Nine or Seven, because CBS can will the void with Australian content. Ultimately, we may end up with some content in the early hours of the day such as college football on One. Also if you consider, CBS owned one third of 11 and it only had half an hour a day of religion (or home shopping in regional markets), then it is possible they could shift most of the home shopping on the main channel to 11.

But again as I said, it will depend on what will generate the best return for CBS

Daytime TV weekdays could look like this under CBS

Monday to Friday
6:00am TEN/CBS Morning News
6:30am TEN This Morning
8:30am Studio 10
11:30am Inside Edition
12:00pm TEN/CBS News
12:30pm Entertainment Tonight
1:00pm Dr Phil
2:00pm Young And The Restless (or a repeat of a Channel 10 drama)
3:00pm Judge Judy
3:30pm Alive and Cooking
4:00pm Bens Menu (or other cooking show)
4:30pm Bold And The Beautiful
5:00pm Neighbours (repeated on 11 at 6:30pm)
5:30pm Family Feud
6:00pm Ten Eyewitness News
6:30pm State based current affairs (or regionals WIN News)
7:00pm The Project

Then Late night
11:30pm Late News update
11:35pm State based current affairs
12:05am The Project (regionals WIN All Australian News (until 1:05am)
12:35am ET
1:05am Late Show
2:00am Infomercials (WIN 2:00am ET, 2:30am Infomercials)
3:30am CBS This Morning
5:00am Inside Edition
5:30am Bold And The Beautiful

1 Like

Not a bad attempt. The only main thing I might change is get rid of State based Current Affairs (it never tends to work well) and go the hour long news. Also, bring YATR nearer to B&B.

I considered that, but thought what could WIN drop for its News in regional markets. Also I considered that maybe it could incorporate less important state based issues. The other option I considered was Neighbours at 6:30pm (aired simultaneously with 11 and repeated on 11 with Bold and The Beautiful 10:00am till 11:00am weekdays.

Also in my thought was, it TEN wanted to go head to head with Seven and Nine, would it maintain a one hour bulletin. I feel that if Ten wanted to maintain the 1 hour edition, it would keep Family Feud at 6pm.

1 Like

That’s a Sony show. The Talk is the obvious show to go in that slot. Or something new like DailyMailTV? Anyone seen that?

It is broadcast on CBS in the US, so it is possible to air that show

After 2 failed breakfast shows, Ten will be aiming for 3rd time lucky. Ten This Morning, Good Morning Australia or This Morning Australia will be my working titles.

Let WIN do an all australian breakfast show?
Got to be different to 7 and 9.

Possible to air any show but CBS does not have the rights for Y&R in Australia. They would have to purchase the rights off Sony.

That doesn’t mean they won’t purchase it. As I said as an alternative they might air repeats of Australian dramas, whether they be classics such as The Sullivans or The Flying Doctors or Carsons Law ( Crawfords are owned by WIN owner Bruce Gordon) or more recent shows such as Offspring or The Wrong Girl.

I would like to think they would move away from encores of reality shows on the main channel and move them to One or 11 to boost their programming strength during the day maybe instead of Hogans Heroes and MASH between 10:30am and Midday, especially given they are shown again at 6pm to 7:30pm weekdays

1 Like

That’d be a good way to go.

Maybe 2 primary channels and an Encore channel.

To avoid going too off topic in the “WIN News” thread, here’s a couple of alternative ideas for WIN’s Early Evening schedule on weeknights:

Idea #1. The same as now, but with a twist:

5pm - Ten Eyewitness News: First At Five
6pm - WIN News (relaunched to include a segment replaying some of the state/national/international content from Ten, for those not home in time to watch the 5pm bulletin)
6.30pm - The Project.

Idea 2:

4.30pm - The Bold & The Beautiful
5pm - WIN Eyewitness News: First At Five (a full hour of news including the state/national/international content presented live + pre-recorded local windows)
6pm - Family Feud (as per the Ten metro schedule)
6.30pm - The Project

Idea #3:

5pm - Family Feud (preferably the same episode as Ten but if that’s not possible, WIN could be one episode behind)
5.30pm - WIN Eyewitness News (regionally relevant state, national & international content from Ten)
6pm - WIN Local News
6.30pm - The Project.

Idea #4:

5pm - Ten Eyewitness News: First at Five (for the 1st half only, including a special pre-recorded closer for WIN viewers)
5.30pm - Family Feud
6pm - WIN News (as it is now)
6.30pm - The Project

Which of these proposals do you like most? Would you prefer the current WIN schedule? Or a different idea completely? In any case, feedback would be much appreciated! :slight_smile:

I am leaning to either idea #2 except insert your WIN News idea in idea #1 but screen it at 6:30pm instead of the first half of The Project.

Another option for overnight could be:

11:30pm The Late Show
12:30am ET
1:00am Ten News Watch (compilation of News programs from Australia and overseas which could include: 1am (Metro)Ten Eyewitness News replay (or a CBS News program) (WIN) All Australian News, (Metro/WIN) 2am The Project, 3:00am (Metro/WIN) CBS Morning News, 3:30am (Metro/WIN) CBS This Morning)
5:00am Inside Edition
5:30am Bold And The Beautiful

On 11:
Weekdays 10:00-11:00am Infomercials, Every day at 3:30-5:00am Infomercials

On One:
(every day) 11:00am-12:00pm Infomercials

Is it odd that the capital cities get their local/national/international news customised for their city, while the regionals have a separate local news with only local stories (plus a separate showing of the capital city’s local/national/international news)? Is it an artefact of our main networks owning their main news and focussing on their own needs for their own high population cities, while the affiliates have no option to pick and choose which national stories are of interest - they just buy the whole program?

Perhaps there’s room for a change in how we do it.

Either a US-style single national (& international) news nationwide, plus a local news half hour?

Or let WIN etc make it’s own 1 hour news from the common pool of national and international stories, with it’s own local added in. That would differentiate them from the others wouldn’t it?