Mock Schedules

Lol in 10 years there will be no FTA. It’ll all be just the 6pm news and imported repeats.

Although you are correct that younger people stream now its not the best business model to go for the same audience as 7 and 9. Trying to find the other demographics is always a better business model and is the way businesses generate money.

I do agree in 10 years there will unlikely be FTA. So why would 10 remove so many of its brands that might shift to that online platform?

It is also a really expensive line up you have proposed.

There’s no way it’s more expensive than The Project and the wages of Lisa, Carrie etc.

I wouldn’t be too sure about that. You have essentially 5 different shows that would need to be produced rather than the 2 that are currently on air.

Ah well it’s just a mock.

Yeah I know that. Just wanted to join in on the conversation.

I know you aren’t neccessarily suggesting axing The Project but there is a bit of talk about it at the moment. But this same conversation comes up from the same group of people every 6 months. Its often from the far right media. There is no sense removing a brand that resonates and is known by the public. As many have suggested we are moving towards a streaming environment, and 7 even criticises 10 for being a streaming service only, why would you get rid of that brand when in 10 years you could use The Project as a brand that could be a drawcard at a news streaming service?

Yeah I dunno about The Project. If it were on any other channel it would have been axed many years ago.

I really don’t think it’s as big as people here like to believe. I’ve never once gone into work the next day and someone’s mentioned it “around the water cooler”. Ever.

Yeah the views on YouTube might be okay but it isn’t resulting in people tuning into the program when it’s on.

I just don’t think it would be as missed as what people here think.

We have to remember MS is very out of touch with the real world.

We love our news programs etc etc so of course we will bat for them but any plain Jane or Joe really doesn’t care for the show. It’s just never taken off really.

3 Likes

In the very highly unlikely chance I even got to be in charge of programming at Network Ten, I’d probably do an early evening lineup on weeknights among these lines:

5pm: 10 News First (come on, it’s part of their DNA)
6pm: The Project (while I personally don’t enjoy the show, at least in this timeslot it’d truly live up to that much promoted “News Delivered Differently” slogan)
7pm: 10 News at 7pm (a sharper, snappier, faster paced bulletin aimed at the commuter market)

Weekends would be the same, except with regular primetime programming beginning at 7pm as per Seven/Nine.

I think the gold logie wins speak for themselves and its not just a mediaspy thing. Personally I haven’t watched it in some time. That is because I don’t watch FTA like I used to and the 10Play app is just too hard to use. But when watching news it was always my go to.

This is true, if it were on another network it wouldn’t have made it past the first 6 months. But neither would have Have You Been Paying Attention (and now look at that). We say the current figures its getting would result in the axe falling. But we have seen 7 and 9 continue shows year after year with lower demographics than The Project gets.

The difference is The Project has had 12 years to improve. It hasn’t. And if it hasn’t by now it’s never going to.

2 Likes

Seems The Project is treated the same on both sides of the ditch. Never been a strong 7pm show for Three in NZ up against Seven Sharp… going on 5 years since launch. In 5+ it’s something like Seven Sharp: 546,000 vs 181,000 for Project. But nothing changes. They celebrate very occasional wins in certain demographics.

Sounds almost exactly like The Project VS A Current Affair.

But everything has declined. The project most certainly did improve after its first year. There were times it was getting over 1 million viewers total people. The news has decreased by about 60% of its old audience and A Current Affair has done the same. The Project often still wins its slot in the demos and that is all that matters to 10. And it’s something 9 are always saying they are chasing.

Not sure I’d be using Gold Logie wins as a measure for any kind of ratings success, especially these days.

1 Like

I agree.

The Logies mean nothing. Haven’t for about 10 years now.

Denyer won gold when he wasn’t even on air. Enough said.

I didn’t say it was for ratings success though. David said it didn’t generate ‘water cooler conversations’ or wasn’t as popular outside of mediaspy. The fact it won a National Popularity Competition debunks that claim.

Lol I stand by that. I’ve not heard a single person ever mention the show in regards to a segment or what was on it the night before.

I am not suggesting you have heard the opposite. But it doesn’t mean it doesn’t generate water cooler conversations or isn’t popular outside of mediaspy. As I said it won a national popularity competition for many years in a row. And it still consistently wins certain categories. This isn’t something exclusive to mediaspy. So just because you don’t hear it doesn’t mean it isn’t happening. All the hosts are household names. And its clearly a trusted news service if it wins such awards. You do not just throw that away to try something new that might or might not work.

I have had people from overseas share certain clips from The Project - so there is conversation happening from the show.

1 Like

A mock for 9 to begin the ratings year:

Sunday
5:00 9 News
5:30 ACA
6:00 Nine News
7:00 Spotlight
*News panel show hosted by Karl Stephonvic and Tracy Grimshaw
8:30 60 Minutes

Monday - Wednesday
6:00 9 News
8:30 Married at First Sight

Thursday
6:00 9 News
8:30 Travel Guides

Spotlight? Like 7News Spotlight?

Also, way too much news dude. 3.5 hrs in one hit?

2 Likes