Million Dollar Island

Even more baffling is how Seven bought it when the concept seems so similar to the reality show they made called The Big Adventure, which flopped spectacularly in 2014.

5 Likes

Apparently one of the reasons was the production budget. Studio Lambert and Talpa are shopping the series to other American broadcasters.

EDIT: Seven’s executives were surprised by NBC’s cancellation of the US version, but a Seven spokesperson said the Aussie version would still go ahead.

Reads like a write up for Seven to excuse what was a sensible decision for NBC. At best justifying it’s pre-filming axe as being due to “high production costs” is effectively them saying “don’t worry, we won’t be spending much money on it anyway”.

Says it all that “execs” at the channel were unaware their “next big thing” had been axed by NBC - guess they’re unaware of how big a flop it was in it’s home country too, or just closing their eyes and sticking their fingers in their ears.

1 Like
2 Likes

TV Blackbox is reporting the filming delay caused by the asbestos discovery means the show will not be able to be shown in the first quarter of 2023, as initially planned.

Can’t stop laughing at this news.

This has train wreck written all over it and the fact that Seven is, at this stage, still persisting when it costs over $700,000 to produce per episode and even the US pulled the plug due to cost.

I highly doubt Seven is going to get anywhere near the amount of viewers needed for this to be a profitable series. It will go the way of Holey Moley & Tag and Seven will yet again through money down the drain in poorly thought out television shows.

Most reality shows can barely edit 24 people into coherent stories or give them adequate screen time so it boggles the mind how a show thinks it can make the viewer care about 100 players in a limited amount of time.

Though perhaps the most shocking thing is, like The Big Adventure, this show just comes across as a ‘cheap’ Survivor knockoff. Surely they should have learnt something from that turkey in 2014 but it appears not.

Annoyingly they can still through money at OTT expensive reality shows but not Australian dramas that have more streaming potential and create a more diverse schedule.

1 Like
1 Like

Million Dollar Island promo just aired during Border Security in Brisbane.
Looks good. Coming soon.

2 Likes

It aired in Melbourne too, except around 6:57pm with Seven News finishing early, as AFL had to commence spot on 7pm for timing with other markets on various channels at various local times

1 Like

7 Likes

Impressive promo.

I think this show will air on Tuesday and Wednesday nights, with balloon show Blow Up on Sunday and Monday nights.

2 Likes

Looks like it will go up against The Summit on Nine.

3 Likes

Is it pretty much the same as Treasure Island from 2000?

1 Like

Both shows are set for a quick and swift kill if that’s the case. Masterchef is going to have a great run competition-wise if that’s the case.

2 Likes

I can’t see MDI or Summit doing above 600/700k

1 Like

I have hope that this series will have less produced conflict than that of Survivor or The Summit.

If the 100 contestants are left alone, and aren’t dripfed food or prizes, we could see some true dystopia television.

1 Like

Wow that promo is really good. I like this idea of having so many people. Has a very different feel about it to other shows.

1 Like

Looks like a very large scale production. After Idol flopped, I think Australian television is at a juncture. If this flops it could be the last of the big ticket concepts.
Surely they are becoming less and less financially viable with the fracturing of audiences. If the strike rate continues to decline, I can’t see executives too keen to take the punt.

1 Like

Million Dollar Island | First Look | Coming Soon to Channel 7 and 7plus - YouTube it seems similar to Survivor (but I do love that show). What production company is behind MDI?

1 Like

Million Dollar Island: where the rules of society don’t exist

The global sensation coming soon to Channel 7 and 7plus

Attention all players: the game is about to begin! Million Dollar Island**,** a revolutionary new social experiment where the rules of society don’t exist, is coming soon to Channel 7 and 7plus.

In a ground-breaking concept, 100 people will try to stay on a remote desert island for a chance to win $1 million. But surviving the harsh conditions with limited means won’t be their only challenge.

To win their fortune, contestants must get it from someone else – and be willing to do whatever it takes. Stealing, deception and disorder quickly become the rules of engagement.

Nurses, garbos, farmers, real estate agents, parents, retail workers and more will leave the real world behind as they scheme and fight for the $1 million prize. But where will they draw the line? Will humanity win over, or will the lure of a life-changing fortune triumph?

Million Dollar Island is hosted by Ant Middleton and produced by award-winning Eureka Productions, the maker of some of the world’s biggest entertainment shows, including Seven’s Farmer Wants A Wife.

2 Likes