Million Dollar Cold Case

##Million Dollar Cold Case
###Someone, somewhere, knows who did it

Channel Seven is given exclusive access to the Homicide Squad Cold Case Team. One million dollar rewards are on offer in the quest to solve some of Australia’s most horrific crimes.

Channel Seven’s new series Million Dollar Cold Case is cracking open the files of unsolved murders that have frustrated police and devastated families for years.

At the core of every story is a victim without a voice. Through interviews, photos, archive vision and dramatisations Million Dollar Cold Case will connect the viewer with the people and events of each case.

A team of highly skilled investigators will guide us through every twist and turn of these compelling crimes as they review the evidence, identify key suspects, and interview witnesses and the victim’s families.

With one million dollar rewards on offer these cases will spark a nationwide conversation – all aimed at tracking down those responsible for the murders.

“We are of the opinion that these cases can be solved,” Detective Senior Sergeant Peter Trichias, of the Homicide Squad Cold Case Team says. “There are some witnesses out there that for one reason or other are reluctant to come forward and we’re hoping the passage of time and the offer of a one million dollar reward will be enough for that person to make a decision and come forward.”

The police have a message for the killers – you will be caught. Someone, somewhere, knows who did it.

MILLION DOLLAR COLD CASE coming to Channel Seven in 2017.

So it’s Australia’s Most Wanted with a big cash prize?

The title sure makes you think it is a “prize” rather than a “reward”.

While I think the concept is good, I feel that having “Million Dollar” in the title makes it sound like a game show, so it comes across as really cheap and tacky.

And go guarantee that anyone wins.

Top headline. :laughing:

“If you’re putting up a million dollars on the line to help solve a murder from a few years ago, do you recon there will be a few nutcases come out of the woodwork and say they know what happened?”

“I’m genuinely worried,” McLachlan continued. “A lot of people I know may be accused of something they didn’t do?”

Yes, I’m sure it was said with all the spontaneity and sincerity of a scripted infomercial. I mean, come on, Hamish isn’t there to be the investigative journalist or even to provide an editorial. He’s there to sell the product. Like what you see in the morning advertorials with the presenters gushing inane questions to whoever is plugging the miracle product.

David Knox reckons it was said very off the cuff and did not appear scripted at all.

I must be too cynical in my old age.

Any word on whether it will have a host?

Chrissie Swan said on Nova 100 breakfast this morning that she is a fan of true crime shows like Murder Uncovered and Murder Calls, and she was looking forward to watch Million Dollar Cold Case, however she reckoned the promo sounded like a game show. The anchor then proceeded to play the promo with all the sound effects of game shows (including audience cheering and Grant Denyer saying “is that on the board?”) :laughing:

The Age crime writer John Silvester has written an excellent article in today’s paper explaining how the show came about. It premieres Wednesday March 15 at 9pm.

###Million Dollar Cold Case

Channel Seven’s new series Million Dollar Cold Case is your chance to help catch a killer.

In a new concept for Australian True Crime the Homicide Cold Case Team is appealing directly to the audience to help crack unsolved murders. Someone, somewhere, knows who did it.

In each case there’s a police reward of one million dollars for new information that leads to the conviction of those responsible for the murder.

At the core of every case is a victim without a voice – now the Homicide Cold Case Team is speaking for them.

You will hear the evidence, you will see the suspects – you may have the missing piece of the puzzle that will solve the case.

The killers are still out there, thinking they got away with murder. It’s up to the viewing public to help bring them to justice.

A team of highly skilled investigators will guide you through every twist and turn of these compelling crimes as they interview key witnesses and the victim’s families.

You will also hear from the detectives involved in the original investigations and learn why these murders were never solved.

Detective Senior Sergeant Peter Trichias leads the Homicide Cold Case Team as they examine the detail of 10 of the country’s most shocking murders.

“We are of the opinion that these cases can be solved,” says Trichias. “There are some witnesses out there that for one reason or other are reluctant to come forward and we’re hoping the passage of time and the offer of a one million dollar reward will be enough for that person to make a decision and come forward.”

These cases have frustrated police and devastated families for years.

“Undoubtedly the most rewarding part of our job is to be able to give answers to the family members and if it takes a million dollars to do that then it is very much money well spent,” adds Detective Sergeant Paul Rowe.

Episode one will look at two cases; the murder of a mother and her nine-year-old daughter in their suburban home; and the brutal murder of a hardworking civil engineer and much loved father of two.

The police have a message for the killers – you will be caught.

Anyone with any information can call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or make contact through their website.

For more information about the reward visit the Victoria Police news website: www.vicpolicenews.com.au

CASE 1: Margaret & Seana Tapp

Mother and daughter, Margaret and Seana Tapp, were found strangled in their beds in suburban Melbourne in 1984. More than 30 years later the Homicide Cold Case Team is re-examining every detail of the case.

CASE 2: Christopher Philips
In May 1989, Christopher Philips was found bludgeoned to death in his own home. With no apparent enemies, his murder was a true mystery.

Looks like Rebecca Gibney is hosting the program judging by the promos

1 Like

I saw that last night. But why?

Because she stars in Winter and Wanted?

Aren’t they fictional?

Maybe this show will be too. :stuck_out_tongue:

Love anything Rebecca Gibney does. Classy.

Turns out she is the narrator, with no on-screen role.

1 Like

I remember Rebecca hosting another crime show called ‘Sensing Murder’ a few years back where psychics would try to solve cold cases plus she’s been in a million crime based shows throughout her career.

1 Like