Metro Ratings - Survey 6, 2020

Don’t know if they had any coverage at 6pm, but there was a brief RVO piece on Seven News Sydney at 4pm. And yes, the fact they linked to the Twitter account of Smooth Melbourne hasn’t gone unnoticed by me! :wink:

Meanwhile Nine News Sydney (who in recent years have typically only run a brief RVO if anything during their bulletins) had a full report which as you’d expect, predominately focused on the success of commonly owned 2GB:

2 Likes

Shouldn’t Nine have stated in both the Sydney & Brisbane ratings reports linked to above that they own 2GB & 4BC. Not only is it ethically wrong that they didn’t declare a conflict of interest arising from common ownership but that Sydney report felt like a 2 minute cross-promotion for 2GB

9 Likes

And looking at the cumes on DAB+ (which, whilst they don’t have much to do with the normal ratings, they’re still quite telling), comparing Buddha to Smooth Chill, there’s a big gulf there too.
It makes an argument for SCA (dare I say it) trying something outside of the box, and for them to consider putting a Buddha-style format (with a number of throwbacks) on 2Day for a test, just to catch NE off guard.

It’s almost at the point they’re better off using 104.1 as a testbed frequency to find new formats and see what works, because at present, it’s somewhat beyond bothering with the current format.

7 Likes

Surely SCA’s are going to have to either shit or get off the pot when it comes to 92.9? ~4% behind 94.5, 96fm and Nova can’t be good. Someone on this site said they thought regional Hit sounded way better than Perth Hit, and it seems like they were right.

It has to be time to switch it to Triple M 92.9, and move Mix 94.5 to the Hit network, surely?

3 Likes

Mix is still performing too well for them to touch it. If it ever drops down to 92.9 levels I think we may see experiments of this nature.

5 Likes

I think the likely outcome for 92.9 is a rebrand, but stay aligned with Hit.

Similar to what happened in Brisbane and Adelaide, it has been rumoured that they will relaunch as 6PM-FM.

1 Like

Interesting idea. I doubt it would happen but they could try to tackle Smooth with an urban AC format like The Wave in Los Angeles, or an AC/Alternative like BBC R2.

1 Like

I dunno, I don’t think it’s much of a change to move Mix towards the Hit network the way it’s sounding these days.

2 Likes

I don’t think a niche Urban AC station would work in Australia. I would do a Smooth style format with more Alternative music. There’s a gap there.

1 Like

Tell Television.au that 3MP is a Mornington Peninsula and South East Melbourne based Commercial Station, it has returned to it’s Roots.

1 Like

Thank you. But even when 3MP was focussed on Mornington Peninsula in its past it still subscribed to the Melbourne ratings.

3 Likes

That could work. Or maybe just take on the Easy Hits format from DAB. An option that would be a bit left field would be to launch Triple M Classic Rock on 104.1

2 Likes

Mentioned on 4KQ this morning that the number one program on Brisbane radio in the last survey was their Classic 9 at 9. Where the music director puts together songs that are linked in some often obscure way.

4 Likes

Ben eats sceptics for breakfast! :joy:

Screenshot_20200930-094836~2

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking. Keep the name Mix 94.5, change the logo to that signal bars like the rest of the Hit network, move Kennedy/Molloy, Luke Bona and the footy to Triple M.

3 Likes

Awesome result for Will and Woody in Sydney. Up by 1pt and the third most drive show in Sydney.

I thought Smooth FM was #1 in FM Radio?

2 Likes

Pretty sure that’s there to stroke Kyle’s ego and prevent a heart attack from happening.

4 Likes

Probably in reference just to the breakfast show ratings.

3 Likes

In my humble opinion ,part of 2DayFM’s problem stems from the obsession with networking and nation wide branding. The whole “Hit” branding seems to work a treat in regions where SCA has the monopoly on commercial FM broadcasting - such as in Port Macquarie.

As soon as there is competent competition, “Hit” can stumble, for example in Sydney, the Gold Coast and maybe even Melbourne.

2DayFM needs to do something in Sydney that is very different to the pre-packaged “Hit” branding. 2DayFM need to scare Nova, smooth, WSFM and KIIS.

Shake up the radio scene with a logo, sound and music log that is different. Maybe a dance station would grab the attention of the city. Dance music seems to scare commercial FM in Australia - they are willing to play a dance song - they just can’t seem to give 100% of their playlists over to dance music.

The idea that 2DayFM will bounce back whilst it shares the marketing, music, programming, jingles, slogans and logo of a bunch of regional stations is not clear thinking. It’s laziness. 2DayFM needs a solution that is Sydney centric - not confined by the need to fit into a network.

10 Likes