Metro Ratings - Survey 6, 2020

Yes they’re bunching up just like the Brisbane FM. It becomes a bit boring though when that happens. I think the stations then get stale with nobody prepared to take any risks.

Brisbane and Perth could both do with another commercial FM station. They would then gain a Gold/Smooth type alternative.

1 Like

who would have thunk it with 4BC - give the poeple what they want (Local shows, not networked out of sydney all day) and they will listen.

1 Like

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. 2Day needs to target Smooth and take some of their listeners away. Smooth is becoming a runaway success. Quite a gap to KIIS now.

2 Likes

Definitely. This morning he said “KIIS1065 is the #1 FM channel. Doesn’t look like anymore…

1 Like

What a survey for 2CH! 2UE went down. 2UE would love to be 4.8%. Who needs FM then :slight_smile:?

2 Likes

A lot of surprises in the first radio ratings survey since the pandemic-induced break, not the least of them being that Ben Fordham actually retained most of Alan Jones’ audience for 2GB breakfast.

Far less surprising - that ABC Sydney experienced a ratings increase (even though I admittedly was expecting them to be higher and for Robbie & Wendy to beat Ben Fordham at breakfast) with Smooth 95.3 being Sydney’s choice for a break from virus talk.

Those 2DayFM ratings are a disaster. With only 2.5% tuning into Jamie Angel’s “Music For Breakfast” program, I think it’s now almost certain we’ll hear the return of a personality-led breakfast show on 104.1 Sydney next year.

Surely Crocmedia should now be having second thoughts about making 2CH a digital-only station after receiving 4.8%?!

Nine Radio need to figure out what works with 2CH and if possible, try and adopt some of those elements to 2UE (and their other music station). More external promotion wouldn’t hurt either.

KIIS wasn’t even Sydney’s #1 FM station last time! Think it’s been a while since Kyle’s station was #1 FM overall, as opposed to at breakfast only.

Doesn’t really help Nine Radio when their music stations don’t really have any presenters, aside from some voicetracked breaks from TV weather presenters at breakfast (if I’m not mistaken).

5 Likes

The audience for 2CH is predominantly 65+, with the cumulative audience substantially less than ‘cellar dwellers’ 2Day FM and Triple M.

Maybe SEN will be hoping to attract a slightly less older audience in Sydney, similar to the results in Melbourne where they achieve a larger cumulative audience than 2CH and the average audience is middle age, despite rating lower.

4 Likes

Nine manages to save a bucket load of money and keep their No.1 status afloat at the same time. If it continues in the future then this would be a gamble that paid off handsomely.

Wonder what Alan Jones would be thinking seeing that his audience doesn’t even miss him while his influence and reach has become smaller.

7 Likes

I find it interesting that the general theme across the metro surveys is that the talk stations are up but music is down.

You’d think that people are sick of the doom and gloom on talk about the pandemic etc and would have migrated back to music stations to escape it?

2 Likes

Melbourne yes, Sydney a little, but in Brisbane and Perth it’s the opposite. Music stations are up.

While Brisbane and Perth are traditionally music cities anyway, I think it also reflects that life is way, way more “normal” in both cities due to Covid being practically eliminated in Qld and WA.

Contrast that to Melbourne’s second wave and lockdown, you’d be hard pressed to know there was a pandemic in downtown Brisbane right now.

5 Likes

Seems like The Hot Breakfast’s extensive coverage of the Coronavirus + the lockdown has paid off for Triple M in being able to buck the trend of FM breakfast shows losing listeners. Indeed Triple M was the only FM station which gained listeners this survey so they’ve done really well.

That comparison just highlights how like with the daily TV ratings, the total 10+ audience numbers doesn’t paint the whole picture

Don’t think the numbers Fordham got (and I’m not trying to take anything away from him and his team when I say this) is a reflection on Jones but moreso 2GB listeners. Similar to Fox News viewers, 2GB listeners appear to be ‘rusted on’ in that while changing the lineup has resulted in some listeners switching stations, the majority of listeners are loyal to the station and will stick with it regardless of who the presenters are

3 Likes

I think we’ve all got a say that Ben Fordham has done nothing less than a stellar job.

And he did it without Alan’s aggressive, abusive and abrasive style.

Congratulations Ben. Sydney’s airwaves are a better place.

10 Likes

I wonder what Stephanie is thinking about all this :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Probably for half the salary? I assume.

2 Likes

Probably even less than that but now he can negotiate for more.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Here’s my prediction for every survey from now until the end of time: If 2CH moves to sport- based radio and becomes SEN - then 1170AM will never again rate at 4.8 or above.

However, if they keep with the music then the current momentum means the next survey they would rate above a 5 share.

I guarantee it.

8 Likes

Screenshot_20200929-182303~2 Screenshot_20200929-135129~2

4 Likes

Kind and generous people. So very well deserved.

2 Likes

Brisbane TV news reports

4BC bared rated a mention.

Even got a report on 10 who don’t usually cover the radio ratings.

2 Likes