Metro Radio Ratings - Survey 8, 2023

Crisis time at 6PR with ABC Perth being the top AM radio station in the west and the weakest Nine Radio station around Australia. 96FM takes top spot.

1 Like

Completely agree with you.

And Gary Roberts own Perth with 96FM and Nova 93.7 his two former radio stations top 2 to end 2023.

1 Like

Who wants to share the news with Kyle that 2DayFM is beating both KIIS106.5 and Nova96.9 at Nights?

2 Likes

Brisbane and Adelaide don’t have a ARN GOLD/WSFM to compete with on FM.

That’s a big reason why they are successful.

If I were ARN, I’d be flipping KIIS to a GOLD in Brisbane, too much competition from B105 and NOVA for the younger demos.

2 Likes

Also great to see Triple M Perth performing better than the hit92.9 days. Even on par with Nova93.7 for some dayparts. They deserve it.

6 Likes

I would too but I guess they’ll wait to see if they end up owning 97.3 and Triple M

2 Likes

In 25-54, J&L jumped to a 12.9, just 0.3 behind 1st place FF&N

3 Likes

Good to see competition between Triple M, Nova and 96FM.

Mix 94.5 was a Triple M station (in name only) from 2005-2020 as well as a 2Day Network station at the turn of the century with the 2Day ball logo used

4 Likes

Last 3 Surveys in Perth
the Big 3 have each won a Survey
Nova,Mix&96 weird.
The days of winning 100 surveys in row (Mix94.5)is likely never to happen again.

8 Likes

Good to have competition. 6iX should be a GOLD-affiliated station

2 Likes

2GB No.1 in total radio and streaming in 2023

2GB is Sydney’s definitive No.1 in total radio and streaming in 2023, posting a 12.1 radio share and 28.3 commercial streaming share, in Gfk Survey 8 released today.

Ben Fordham Live recorded 16.0 radio share in Breakfast and the show’s highest cume of the year – and highest Survey 8 cume on record – and Ray Hadley eclipsed the competition with his 154th consecutive survey win, posting a 14.1 share in Mornings.

Luke Davis, 2GB Content Manager, said: “Whether it’s the heavier news stories or the lighter moments that make us smile, talk radio remains as important as ever and right throughout 2023, Sydney has turned to 2GB in the moments that matter.

“After another big news year, with a change in NSW state government, the Voice referendum, significant international conflict and ongoing cost-of-living concerns, today’s results solidify the fact that 2GB remains an indelible part of the lives of Sydneysiders and will continue to be as we head into 2024.”

Further results from Gfk Survey 8 in Sydney:

• Afternoons with Deborah Knight recorded a share of 7.2 (up 0.5) (Mon-Fri 12-3pm).
  • Drive with Chris O’Keefe recorded a share of 8.2 (up 0.6) (Mon-Fri 3-6pm).
  • Money News with Scott Haywood recorded a share of 8.3 (Mon-Thurs 7-8pm).
  • Nights with John Stanley remains the clear No.1 with a share of 20.5 (Mon-Thurs 8pm-12am, Fri 7-11pm).
  • Overnights with Luke Grant is No.1 with 21.5 – more than 10 points ahead of nearest rival (Mon-Fri 12-5:30am).
  • Weekends with Michael McLaren is No.1 across both Saturday and Sunday, with an overall share of 12.3 (Sat-Sun 9am-1pm).

Source: GfK Radio360 Ratings, 2GB Sydney Survey 8 2023, Mon-Fri 5.30am-9am, Mon-Fri 9am-12pm, Mon-Fri 12pm-3pm, Mon-Fri 3pm-6pm, Mon-Thurs 8pm-12MN, Fri 7pm-11pm, Sat-Sun 5.30am-12MN, Market Share % Total Radio, Streaming share % AP10+

3AW is Melbourne’s dominant No.1

The release of GfK Survey 8 results today shows that 3AW is once again the undisputed dominant radio station in Melbourne.

With a market-leading share of 13.6, 3AW is streaks ahead of the competition and more than double the share of its nearest talk rival.

This is 3AW’s 75th consecutive survey win.

Every week, 812,000 Melburnians tune into 3AW’s award-winning mix of live and local talk radio.

3AW is also the outright No.1 in live audio streaming with a 29.2 share of the commercial streaming audience.

Ross and Russ continue their commanding lead in the Breakfast slot, posting an impressive 19.0 share. The duo also attracted a massive streaming audience with an incredible 49.0 share of the commercial streaming audience.

In his last ever survey in the Mornings slot, Neil Mitchell was well in front of all opposition, with a share of 16.0 (up 0.5 points on survey 7) and a commercial streaming share of 29.0.

Tony Moclair is the No.1 Afternoon talk program with a share of 10.3 (up 0.4 points on survey 7).

Tom Elliott remains Melbourne’s No.1 Drive talk program with a share of 11.1. Tom will move to the Mornings slot in 2024, while Jacqui Felgate will host Drive.

Denis Walter is once again Melbourne’s No. 1 Evening program with a share of 13.5.

Stephen Beers, 3AW Station Manager, said: “Survey 8 caps off another dominant year for 3AW, winning all 8 surveys in 2023. Led by Ross Stevenson and Russel Howcroft in Breakfast – almost double their nearest competitor. Neil Mitchell celebrated 34 years in Mornings, winning every survey of the year. He leaves the Mornings slot with 222 survey wins. We thank our loyal audience for again making 3AW Melbourne’s favourite radio station.”

Source: GfK Radio360 Ratings, 3AW Melbourne Survey 8 2023, Mon-Sun 5.30am-12MN, Mon-Fri 5.30am-8.30am, Mon-Fri 8.30am-12pm, Mon-Fri 12pm-3pm, Mon-Fri 3pm-6pm, Mon-Thurs 8pm-12MN & Fri 7pm-12MN, Weekends 5.30am-12MN, Cume (000s), Market Share % Total Radio, Streaming share %, Commercial Share AP10+ , unless otherwise specified.

Interesting result. I get what you’re saying, but I can’t help but think that Kyle would probably see this as further validation that his radio show is exceptionally successful given that when he’s on the air, both 2Day and Nova’s combined share is still 4 points off his share.

I think the result worth pointing out is that this is Nova breakfast’s biggest cume ever: 614,000. Very impressive.

Pure Gold has gone more Hot AC recently though, which leaves a fair gap for MMM to broaden and play more 80s and 90s gold as well.

2 Likes

I think that’s because men mostly listen to 2MMM but women are tuning into 2Day, WS, Smooth etc.

1 Like

That’s why 4BH is the best station for listeners over 55,and The Breeze also

3 Likes

SCA is beating Kiis and Nova in Melb as well for nights.

Hopefully Jimmy & Nath (Who do nights on Hit) can keep the momentum rolling in the new year.

Could be a good sign that there’s a keen market for content based shows at night and not just music based ones like Nova and KIIS.

1 Like

You’d think Jimmy and Nath are being groomed for an eventual breakfast shift - presumably Sydney, 2025?

The commercial Perth FMs seem to have found their groove/sweet spot in terms of format and demo target this year - certainly a lot better part of the FM band than when I first moved here nearly 9 years ago.

3 Likes
3 Likes