Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 8, 2020

Remember that there is 3MP and Magic though in Melbourne. That said, 101.1 flipped to Classic Hits would have the advantage over 3MP and Magic of being on FM.

2 Likes

What about flipping 101.1 to The Edge?

6 Likes

As much as I like Fitzy & Wippa I have been really enjoying Ben & Liam, much better then Mat & Sarah who Nova had on leading up to Christmas last year.

If Ben & Liam were to replace F&W I would still listen to Nova at breakfast.

Do you think Nova would do a Capital fm and network B&L across Australia if and when it is their turn to replace F&W

1 Like

True but 3MP and Magic aren’t a patch on 4KQ. Look how 4BH (same as Magic) is struggling against 4KQ, it’s making no inroads at all.

6 Likes

That would be interesting.

1 Like

I’m afraid, they’re a bit bland and don’t hook me in, to keep listening all morning. Let’s hope Fitzy & Wippa are still around for many years to come.

2 Likes

Could work - and maybe a less drastic thing to try first. The KIIS brand has clearly gone nowhere in Melbourne - and I don’t know how long they can keep trying to keep it in line with a Sydney station that has the benefit of a huge audience for Kyle.

Disappointed but not surprised at the lack of analysis in the Radioinfo ‘analysis’ article - just a one liner just talking up ARN’s overall Melbourne share, but not pointing out that nearly 2/3rds of that is Gold smashing it.

6 Likes

101.1 TT-FM. Breaking Hits. A hybrid of new music and some JJJ style songs, break new music not jus flog ones Spotify has been playing for months. Really dig into being what Nova was at the start, an exciting station for a younger audience. There’s no point replicating Golds audience or old format.

Also ditch that abomination of a show at 3pm, a holdover from the mumsy Mix format

8 Likes

Sydney is probably the only city worth networking to. The other Nova breakfast shows are rating too well to be replaced

2 Likes

They tried to replicate Sydney without having a heritage breakfast show which Sydney has with K&J. Also what works in Sydney does not always work in Melbourne.

KIIS 106.5 would not rate in Sydney without K&J.

5 Likes

Also kIIS means nothing in Melbourne, Kyle and JO gave it a purpose. Here it’s a station that has a decent music mix but a breakfast show that couldn’t sound more un- Melbourne if they tried and general imaging that doesn’t mean anything. It’s a poorly thought out station. It needs to bleed Melbourne to work, and more appropriate talent.

3 Likes

That 3pm show is an abomination.

3 Likes

I’ve listened to the breakfast show on KIIS a few times and I thought it was good but I don’t think it’s enough to draw people in, as K&JO does as a signature for KIIS in Sydney.

As Nova found when it launched back in 2001, and with Smooth a few years back, breaking away from the pack is a successful strategy and IMO I think KIIS could do worse than lean towards The Edge because at the moment Nova, KIIS & Fox are all too samey. Something needs to give.

6 Likes

The same situation is now occurring in Sydney with the change in music direction of 2day.
It means Nova has to differentiate themselves from the pack. Note to management NO it does not mean playing throwbacks!!!

2 Likes

There could be a market for that type of a disco skewing music log format that could be programmed to air by a MD team of a radio. Music log station however the one problem with that is that MD teams with radio music log. Stations now a days are afraid to pitch out of the box and new music log format ideas so what I mean by that is that MD teams are afraid of trying new and different things with the music. Log stragies that they put into place for radio music log stations so that type of a music log format could definitely work with the right marketing promotional strategy done around it.

1 Like

But also on that point too ARNS MD team down in Melbourne really need to rethink the music log strategy that they are putting into place and implementing for KIIS FM in Melbourne and it’s time for ARNs MD team to pull up the music log. List because the music log format that they are programming to air for KIIS FM is not testing well with the demographic audience that they skew the on air lineup for KIIS towards because that audience share for KIIS FM in Melbourne is awful

1 Like

Totally agree.

1 Like

You think ARN will sell 50% of Nova perth for control of a tiny AM station like 6ix.
Lol

1 Like

That might be getting a ‘free’ FM conversion when they restack Perth’s FM dial in the next year… Talk is they might convert all AM to FM in Perth. Tiny 6iX might be quite a catch then. Thing is I doubt the current owners would sell.

1 Like

It would be good to hear 2CA on FM too. As I have been talking whether in Canberra they can “shutdown” the repeaters or do some asynchronous repeating of services and allow 2CC/2CA to FM to make room for the remaining commercials on FM. Although I know there are fans of 2CA being on AM on this forum. I just want a classic hits station to do well the ratings on FM rather than the constant push to modernising formats on FM. Even I feel Smooth whilst playing some old music, is just like MIX 106.5 was as it abandon its “2CA/6IX/4KQ format”. Smooth is just not the same as what 2CA / 6IX / 4KQ is today.

Anyway a slightly off topic rant :slight_smile:. I think 2CC on FM as a talk station might also help. Why not given ABC Newsradio is on FM. 1206 AM gets quite a lot interference from 2GF outside the licence area.

2 Likes