Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 7, 2020

It depends on how much Mix would change it’s playlist to align with the Hit playlist and if that would that create enough room or 96 to take that share I think

1 Like

For those interested in the cumes:

Looks like the axing of the 7:45am news on ABC local has hit Melb, Syd and Perth ratings.

2 Likes

Nine News Queensland report on the Brisbane radio ratings from tonights bulletin. This was omitted from the radio simulcasts on River 94.9 and Juice 107.3 who cut away and went to an ad break and song.

2 Likes

2UE with 0.7 and 2CH on 5%. Surely they need to look at ways to get the 2CH announcers across to 2UE and bring their not too different music format with them. I don’t get the point of 2UE at the moment. I’m sure its cost effective just playing music but its not even capturing 1% of the audience in Sydney.

7 Likes

What is going on at Fox? It was only last year that they were the #1 breakfast show and station in Melbourne. Now they seem to be down the bottom.

5 Likes

I don’t think they would need to. Either keep 97.3 or rebrand to something else, and adopt a similar playlist. They could do a 96fm and drop the Pick Up and half of Will and Woody

1 Like

There’s nothing quite like a (mostly) cross-promotional ad masqueraded as a news report where the conflict of interest isn’t disclosed…

3 Likes

Unless I missed them, it doesn’t seem like there were any news reports about the radio ratings on Sydney commercial TV news bulletins tonight.

2 Likes

People realised how awful their breakfast offering was probably

1 Like

Yes and No. I think the result is very impressive for 3AW, but if you have look at the overall performance of talk stations over time - its high but not massively over prior results.

(NB: Survey 4 2011 was included as the most recent highest talkshare)

Excluding 3AW, some observations:

• 774/3LO has only reverted to its performance in the early 2000s when there was no COVID. The challenge for ABC Management is to hold their share at these now reverted levels.
  • Hutchy may have more transmitters, but has less appealing content. I can’t see this going anywhere.
  • Radio National has done really well - historically anything 3.0+ is rare. Kudos to the team.
  • NewsRadio should have done heaps better with the demand for COVID19, yet it continues to perform within historic ranges (which is an absolute contrast to ABCNews 24 on the telly). Makes you wonder if this format is the best use of the analogue radio frequencies broadcast by the ABC.
  • For all the criticism (and profitability problems) of MTR, it probably appealed to an audience that would not be satisified by 3AW and 774/3LO that increased the talk stations market share
  • There’s sufficient comments and analysis in other threads about Talking Lifestyle and Macquarie Sport (and they were pretty much right!)
6 Likes

Phil Rothfield wrote this in The Daily Telegraph on Monday. It is obvious he is referring to SEN 1170.

2 Likes

Not much different to Mark Levy’s Twitter burner accounts in his Macquarie Sports Radio days.

6 Likes

Phil Rothfield wrote in The Sunday Telegraph today that the ABC again came third in the latest NRL radio ratings. 2GB remained on top on Sundays but Triple M is closing the gap.

2 Likes