Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 7, 2020

And KIIS Melbourne. And KIIS Sydney. Whilst they are #2 FM in Sydney, their workday numbers are being propped up by K&J (you can see the drop in arvos). If KIIS lost K&J, I think they’d be screwed.

7 Likes

Ah, the glory days of radio. If only we could turn back time.

2 Likes

None of the younger skewed stations are doing well across the workday in Sydney or Melbourne. Survey says most radios are on smooth, Gold, or talkback.

With stations like Nova and Hit trying to skew older and take listeners off Gold / Mix it has been a complete failure. They are not changing stations and as a result they are alienating their core listeners which is then affecting their share.

Nova in Sydney looks like they have tweaked their music slightly younger to try and arrest their falling market share. However the loss of Marty is having an impact on their drive figures.

2 Likes

Studio 10 had a report on the survey including numbers for all cities.

2 Likes

That is why K&J go to 10-10:30 to prop up mornings.

5 Likes

I thought the results of this survey weren’t scheduled to be released until next week?

Anyway, there’s no doubt Nine will be pleased that 2GB has remained #1 (particularly at breakfast) for a 2nd post-Alan Jones era survey although the real test of course for 873AM will occur over an extended period of time.

No doubt the champagne will be popped at Smooth 95.3 today, especially with The More Music Breakfast Show receiving more listeners than Jonesy & Amanda on WSFM (probably their “main” competition)!

5% for 2CH…what a shame that instead of being given the opportunity to grow, it’s been replaced by SEN which will be lucky to rate 0.5% during its first survey. Although the bigger tragedy though is that Nine Radio probably won’t bother doing much to win ex-Classic Hits 2CH listeners who’ve been abandoned by the decision to make 1170 a sports station.

Don’t usually pay much attention to the DAB+ station ratings, because many of the stations listed are obviously advantaged by the fact you can hear them via FM (The Edge), Digital TV (the ABC stations) or in-store (Coles/CW). But going by the results of the most recent survey, it seems barely anyone in Sydney knows that SENTrack exists. Outrated by NTS of all stations, despite the fact that SENTrack has the advantage of also being available on 1539AM! :open_mouth:

This probably won’t happen, but I reckon 97.3 either needs to become a Pure Gold or Smooth station.

3 Likes

There is an obvious drop there but it’s interesting that only Smooth and MMM that went up considerably.

They have only just started to take the focus off throwbacks but they seemed to lose listeners in every demographic but strangely, they actually went up in the 40-54 demo. :eyes:

2 Likes

4BH needs local announcers or they will forever be bottom rating station.

2 Likes

ARN need to re-position their networks. Place WSFM, Gold, 97.3, Mix 102.3 and 96FM under Pure Gold, keep KIIS for Sydney and Melbourne (with a DAB+ KIIS presence in other markets) and create an AM Classic Hits network with Cruise and 4KQ.

9 Likes

It is going to be interesting the next ratings for SEN 1170 will it be less than 1.0?

1 Like

100% correct!

6 Likes

I find 96FM too broad and sometimes too old. Would be good if they took WSFM or Gold’s playlist. If Triple M returns to Perth as expected, they will probably lean a bit more female skewed. Not too much just a bit.

5 Likes

if you take off your shoes and socks and count your fingers and toes that will probably be how many listeners they have

3 Likes

I wonder if DAB 2CH will outrate SEN 1170. Not sure if you can really compare.

1 Like

Yes I think if Triple M come to Perth it would make sense for 96 to move a bit more Pure Gold.

3 Likes

It looks like there’s a looming structural issue here.

The only stations that seem to be rating are talkback and older skewing stations. ‘Younger’ people stations are sinking, presumably because their audience is listening to YouTube, Spotify, SoundCloud, etc. But the advertisers don’t seem to want to sell to older people.

There’s also this fetish by the companies to put stations in ‘networks’, to their detriment. How much better would 96FM be if it wasn’t nominally a KIIS station trying to appeal to everyone? They could go harder rock and slam the door shut on any potential Triple M Perth. 97.3 is another example of a confused station. ARN should set them free, let the local management set their formats and what shows they take.

4 Likes

You know 92.9 is bad when you’d rather listen to Hit Wheatbelt or Hit Southwest!

2 Likes

I’d rather listen to 4MMM (when I do listen to mainstream radio)than any of the other FM stations in Brisbane.Or 4KQ on my portable DAB radio or Spotify.
97.3 needs to change Smooth FM,

7 Likes

97.3 is a joint venture between ARN and Nova Ent, but I doubt ARN would want to hand all programming control of 97.3 to Nova Ent. Smooth 97.3 would have a higher chance of going to #1 in Brisbane though.

7 Likes