Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 7, 2019

1 Like

Triple J has one big advantage… no ads.

I think a commercial version of Triple J would struggle to get 4.5% in Sydney (6% for JJJ).

1 Like

In Melbourne, Jon Faine made a solid gain in mornings in his final full survey. Smooth was the only commercial FM station to increase its share at breakfast.

1 Like

And a clear point of difference music wise from The Edge, Kiis, Nova, 2day

2 Likes

I agree there’s a clear point of difference musically but it wouldn’t rate as well with ads.

2 Likes

Another major blow for Macquarie… 954 got beaten by SKY Sports Radio 1017!

3 Likes

I think MSR fell in all three cities and is below 1% in all.

2 Likes

All the sales reps who have to sell for MSR deserve an ACRA.

4 Likes

One thing I miss today is not having Adam Lang in Macquarie’s ratings press release somehow suggest that MSR has experienced ‘continued growth’

4 Likes

Wow at that survey for Gold in Melb. Gigantic numbers in morning and afternoons (a 2.3 jump in afternoons!), and top 3 in every segment from 10-65.
ARN definitely need to be looking at replicating it in Sydney if WS wants to succeed.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Not only WS. There’s lessons in there for 97.3 and Mix 102.3 as well…

2 Likes

All the more remarkable in being at the “wrong” end of the FM band where it’s surrounded by community radio.

2 Likes

not quite. In Melbourne it went up from 0.3 to 0.4! Huge leap!!! :astonished:

And the champagne will be flowing as breakfast for MSR in Melbourne has DOUBLED

From 0.1 to 0.2 :grin:

8 Likes

MSR drive in Melbourne (David Schwarz and Mark Allen) nearly doubled as well.

2 Likes

When I am in Melbourne I always get stuck listening to Gold. I can see why it rates so well. I found Triple M has too much talk and adds.
I always liked Gold over WS. Gold has more of a rock edge and a more advanturous playlist then WS.

5 Likes

Adventurous playlist? Yes, WS gets a bit too safe at times.

Saturday nights are when WS is at its best, about the only time I ever hear 12 inch mixes on the radio.

1 Like

Because despite being local, they’ve squandered their advantage by bad content.

Irrelevant to the likely audience, unappealing and mostly not compelling.

How Steve Austin (the only had news/current affairs local shift) manages to keep level with KQ is amazing considering the abomination on leading to his shift, shift after shift of content that hasn’t worked for at least two years now.

Good. He’s a true radio man and hard worker.

@HUFF How far above their worst result in the 80’s is ABC Brisbane?

Amazing results, great market consistently producing great radio, streets ahead of Sydney.

High numbers in Brisbane because of fortuitous overspill of River, Breeze and Rebel? Perhaps 96.5? There’d be a portion of former 4BC listeners who followed BC alumni John McCoy and Peter Psaltis to 4TAB, but it’d be the music stations driving it.

@TV-Expert, correct on Perth, great format fillers there in the three stations you mentioned. Very clever programming.

Correct. Paul Thompson was right how he launched Nova. Their second Paul; Jackson, is wrong in how he manages the legacy. Same for 2DAY.

Entirely, correct as always @Brianc68. ABC have missed the mark. Their manager, Simon Scoble is a former BC journo from the Macrossan St days with his news director being Scott McKinlay. He should know what content works yet it doesn’t show. I guess the ABC interstate types are pulling his strings?

It’s over to Tom Malone and QTQ MD Kylie Blucher (ex radio herself) to reignite competition by rebuilding BC and BH. I won’t hold my breath to Nov 2020.

I don’t miss his delusion or was it plain misguided and inexperienced sales spin. It made radio look cheaper than a mile of spivs selling questionable used cars.

And this is the Nova that everyone wrote off with a bfast show wrapping, networked shifts from Sydney, bizarre hour of drive show highlights and no local, dedicated content director. Doing ok despite all that on paper.

Up 25% in Lang’s speak, thankfully we’re spared that rubbish, a relic of the past.

4 Likes

Fool of a man, he was.

1 Like

Nothing to sell!, just sell 2GB and chuck in MSR for FREE!

5 Likes