Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 7, 2017

2CH sound amazing on DAB, great stereo sound stage, they have it sounding very nice, when they are running 128kbps I should hope they had it sounding amazing :slight_smile:

I can hear River very well on my Sony AM/FM Receiver in the house here quite well, canā€™t hear 92.5 Gold FM or 92.7 Mix FM anywhere near as good, in the car it is slightly better but does not hold a candle to the signal of River.
For reference I live in Cannon Hill area.

1 Like

Look! Weā€™re giving away money! Weā€™re advertising! (where??) Weā€™re getting engagement!

Listeners?? ā€¦cricketsā€¦

4 Likes

Although I donā€™t remember seeing them recently, perhaps those TV ads (IIRC, for a Sydney City Lexus competition) are helping the ratings of 2CH.

The ā€œMagic 2CHā€ branding wasnā€™t great but personally, I think 2CH really started to lose it when the ā€œHappy Daysā€ relaunch (with that awful logo and cheesy jingle) happened a few years back.

Good to see the station improving in the ratings under the ā€œEasy Classicsā€ branding/format though.

2CH has been at 128kbps on DAB+ for a few years now, although personally I think that station has always sounded pretty darn good on Digital Radio (at least for as long as Iā€™ve had it anyway) even back in the days they were at 96kbps!

While thereā€™s no official overlap with the Gold Coast, some people near the border of the areas will be listening Gold Coast stations. As you say more so for the Sunshine Coast, in which the Brisbane licence areas goes far enough north into the Nambour licence area that Brisbane diaries will be distributed to some people who commute to the Sunshine Coast and therefore listen to those stations. Same thing would happen with Ipswich though, so The River would probably be the highest rating of the ā€œclose-to-Brisbaneā€ stations.

The point I was trying to make was there was a recent rating survey for Ipswich that gave Riverā€™s cumulative audience. Given that there is a 72% overlap in licence area with Brisbane RA1, it is a good place to start to try to estimate what share the station would get if it was included in the Brisbane survey.

Interesting idea. Before people get confused, this overlap means that 72% of the Ipswich licence area is also located in the Brisbane licence area - or in other words, accounts for 167,000 people who live in both.

Riverā€™s cume of 73,300 is comporable to 4RNā€™s 78,000 - which gave it a 3.1% share today.
However, itā€™s not accurate to compare cumes and averages.
4BC and 4RN have talk formats, which typically have lower cumes, whereas Riverā€™s music format typically has a higher cume.

To compare, 97.3 has a share of 11.1 - approximately double 4BCā€™s 5.6. However 97.3 has a cume of 521,000, which is more than 4 times 4BCā€™s cume of 126,000.
Letā€™s assume that with some spill further into Brisbane, Riverā€™s cume went up to 104,200 (1/5 of 97.3ā€™s cume to make the maths easier) - compared to 97.3, this would only indicate a share of 2.2%.

Riverā€™s cume in Brisbane could well be lower when you consider that 28% of that 73,300 (which is about 20,000) were located outside of the Brisbane overlap area.

That said, itā€™s probably fair to estimate that River get about 2-3% of the Brisbane audience.

1 Like

:joy::rofl::joy:

2 Likes

Not that I ever listen to Nova here in Brisbane very often but Iā€™m sad to hear that they sacked their local afternoon announcer.Maybe after this survey Nova will lose their No 1 rating.

1 Like

ā€¢ Number 1 Mornings with Katie Mattin 9am ā€“ 12pm (12.7% share)
ā€¢ Number 1 Afternoons with Tim Wong-See 12pm ā€“ 4pm (14.2% share)ā€¢ Number 1 Mornings with Katie Mattin 9am ā€“ 12pm (12.7% share)
ā€¢ Number 1 Afternoons with Tim Wong-See 12pm ā€“ 4pm (14.2% share)

Yeah so get rid of Tim with a 14 share, and move Katie to afternoons who has a lesser share to pipe in the pom from Sydney.

1 Like

Hey weā€™re neighbours! Iā€™m in Morningside. Youā€™re right about the River signal being far and away stronger than any coast station. 92.7 Mix is not too bad in the car but 92.5 Gold isnā€™t even any good in my car. 94.9 on the other hand is find on my home stereo and even on the radio on my iPod.

1 Like

Yes I live close to the station I work forā€¦ Will let you work who that is :smiley:
Great to know there is radio lovers close to me lol :slight_smile:

Just depends what part of Brisbane you are driving in at the time and where your view is clearer to the north or to the southā€¦ At times both are as strong as each other for me.

1 Like

I live in Morningside toošŸ˜Šand work in Salisbury.I was always able to receive River 94.9 on my radio at work but not as good here at home.Iā€™ll have to ask at work does anyone want to listen to River 94.9,Triple M are the best out of the 4 main commercial FM stations,not much to choose from,Nova and Hit sound exactly the same and 97.3 are too repetitive

2 Likes

What is the station cume for ABC Brisbane? (former 612 4QR)

Any details of cume for Steve Austinā€™s morning show 8:30am - 11am ?

Thanks

4QR: 267,000
Mornings: 124,000 (from 9am)

1 Like