Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 6, 2018

KIIS in Sydney may be the No.1 FM at breakfast but they are:

• 3rd in the morning
  • 3rd in the afternoon
  • 4th in drive
  • 4th at night
  • 4th on the weekend

If only they could get the rest of the lineup to rate. Is it the music or the talent outside of breakfast that is the issue?

2DayFM’s 2.9 share at night and 3.7 share on the weekend are disturbing results.

Macquarie Sports Radio’s 0.2 in the evening is nothing less than hysterical.

4 Likes

In case anyone’s wondering the DAB+ results… As they aren’t listed on Radio Today-
#1 Each city
Melbourne: Oldskool Hits
Sydney: Edge Digital
Brisbane: 80s iHeart Radio
Adelaide: 90s iHeart Radio
Perth: Smooth

1 Like

If the stations were ranked by cume as the digital ratings are, in Sydney the order would be:

NOVA96.9
smooth 95.3
KIIS 1065
WSFM
104.1 2DAY FM
2GB
ABC SYD
104.9 TRIPLE M
2JJJ
ABC NEWS
ABCFM
2CH 1170
2RN
Macquarie Sports 954
SKY Sports Radio

1 Like

That would be Monday, right? :wink:

Dumping Hughesy and Kate for Wild and Woolly was a good idea, wasn’t it?

I don’t even remember who’s on nights these days and I’d say most of Australia doesn’t either. Lowie is wasted in the post 10pm/Saturday afternoon slots. Get him back for nights.

3 Likes

Very long post incoming!

Firstly, 2GB at 15.4% is probably the highest they’ve been in a while? Alan Jones & Ray Hadley will be extremely pleased with their figures of 19.0 and 20.2 respectively, we’ll probably see those two celebrating with champagne on Sydney’s 6pm TV news bulletins tonight?

As expected, WSFM fell back to earth from their recent two decade+ ratings highs (although still retaining the spot as Sydney’s #1 FM station, as they have been for all but one survey during 2018 IIRC) with Kyle & Jackie O regaining the coveted title as “Sydney’s #1 FM breakfast show” from Jonesy & Amanda.

Macquarie Sports Radio continues to be the market’s least listened to radio station behind Sky Sports Radio. Wonder if MRN are now regretting the decision to sell 2CH instead of 2UE? Probably not, although I definitely know which station’s ratings I’d rather have!

Yeah…the only real joy ABC Radio Sydney would’ve had out of this survey was their 7pm-midnight ratings having a healthy 1.8% increase to 9.9%, narrowly overtaking Smooth 95.3 to become the 2nd most listened to station (after 2GB of course) during that timeslot.

Reckon that Monday-Thursday “Evenings” presenter Chris Bath (even to this day, I still think Seven News Sydney really should be regretting not doing more to keep her in 2014-15) might be able to take a lot of the credit? :slight_smile:

There’s been a lot of commentary online about 2DayFM’s ratings woes in recent years and rightly so.

But since you brought up 2CH, their breakfast ratings are disastrous at 2.6% - the third least listened to breakfast show on Sydney radio. Unfortunately, I think a new strategy for 2CH breakfast might be needed in 2019 if Trevor Sinclair & Indira Naidoo don’t have an increase in audience share over the next 6-8 weeks.

Yeah…outside of breakfast, the battle for FM supremacy in Sydney has really been more between WSFM and Smooth 95.3 in recent years - likely due to an aging/maturing radio market.

Although it’d be hard to say for sure, I personally wouldn’t be overly surprised if many of the Sydneysiders who listened to 2DayFM and Mix 106.5 back in the '90s have their radios on either WSFM or Smooth 95.3 these days.

Yet again, I really wonder how many of those Edge Digital listeners are actually tuning into 96.1FM.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s the first time since Survey 5 of 2012 that 2GB scored an overall audience share of over 15%.

2 Likes

I’ve always considered KIIS to be a 25-54 station music-wise - almost like a 25-54 CHR. I think they would be a better station overall if they shifted their focus younger, and could probably pick up a bunch of the 18-24s.

Realistically, KIIS is #3 FM - and barely. When Kyle & Jackie O retire, they’re going to struggle IMO. They’d wanna hope 2DAY still have a cursed breakfast time slot.

I disagree - at least as long as he’s doing his ‘phoning it in from LA’ show. I really liked Lowie back when he was on Nova nights, but since moving to LA he’s gotten consistently worse. I don’t know if you’ve attempted to listen to his weekend show, but half of it is recycled content.
Get him back on nights - but only live ‘n’ (somewhat) local - if Sydney is ‘local’.

To be fair though, Lowie didn’t work out on Nova nights partly because his ratings were pretty bad, so whilst it’s a different market now to what it was then, I wouldn’t say he’s particularly bankable from a ratings perspective.

I dunno, Fox have always had somewhat of a stranglehold on Melbourne to one extent or the other. They’re currently doing much better than they have in the past, but they’re still massively down in 10-24, breakfast show’s still ahead, but is coming within striking distance of a Smooth or Nova if they continue downward trend. Another .7 drop next survey would put them well within overtaking distance if Nova/Smooth have good books.

That’s not to take away from their success, obviously they’re doing something right - I just think attitudes that suggest The Fox is indestructible (though they’re probably close to accurate) is partly, I think, what lead to their ‘crash’ a few years ago.

4 Likes

That’s exactly what I mean.

I’m sure he would do better than PJ and Jase who are a ratings failure for KIIS right now. Hell, anybody could do better.

KIIS has made some really bad decisions this year.

Whilst I don’t agree with a non-live nights show, it’s not like Smallzy et al are doing significantly better. If anything, it’s Smooth & WS who are really doing well with all music.

To be fair - Jase & PJ highlights show is certainly doing fine at night in all markets except Sydney, and even then they’re doing a lot better overall than The Thinkergirls, even with two random shows in the 7-10 slot

1 Like

As objective as always. You will always defend KIIS even when their decisions are bad and the station is suffering.

Fifi Fev and Byron went up last survey to 10.3, you can’t honestly be saying ‘continue downward trend’??? And If Nova or smooth is going to beat Fox Breakfast (Extremely unlikely as they are two more older skewing shows) than chuck Triple M’s Hot Breakfast in there as well they are right there with Chrissie…Seriously, some of the stuff you say?

Agreed.

No Smallzy, could not be doing better… Only 41 consecutive surveys as #1 Night Show in Aus.

Exactly how is a breakfast show, good at nights??

No, they are not, Jase and PJ can’t rate in breakfast or every other market during nights except Adelaide… Least Thinker girls were live

7.7% for Jo and Lehmo this survey last year and 8.7% only two surveys ago. It’s quite a big decline.

2 Likes

Exactly.

They are yet another failed experiment on KIIS. How many different night time shows have we had now?

I wonder if SEN+ would have beaten MSR in the ratings if it were listed? SEN certainly got a bump, I assume most of that is AFL finals though.

They aren’t, but I’d still hope that Triple M can take a look at that Modern Digital figures and restore the station to actually being vaguely modern. Playing songs from the late 80s isn’t ‘Modern’.

Or just do a Triple M 90s, Triple M 80s, and Triple M 70s if they can’t figure out how to position Classic Rock, Modern and Greatest Hits.

3 Likes

Whatever you say, Mr ‘everything sucks’ :wink:

Yes, just like I defended their decision on The Thinkergirls… oh wait. Or how I literally just said up the page a bit that they have a lot to work on outside of breakfast, and will be in trouble if Kyle & Jackie O leave.

But sure, feel free to latch onto one or two sentences and use it as some sort of explanataion for an unfounded opinion :woman_shrugging:t2:

Dude, they went down 0.7 this survey after going up last survey. Do you even know how the surveys work…? Look up the GFK website and read into the survey methodology. Going down so much after going up is not good.

Yeah, cos older skewing shows never beat younger shows, hey.
3AW breakfast surely never beats younger shows. And remember that time that Eddie McGuire was #1 for ages? Or when the older, female-skewed Chrissie & Jane were #1 for ages? Or what about when Chrissy, Sam & Browny were #1 not all that long ago…? The exact show you’ve just said is extremely unlikely to leapfrog Fox because they skew too old? Remember that time? Guess that never happened huh?

It’s not particularly rare for shows to go up or down whole points or close to - as evidenced by the 0.7 drop at Fox. Complacency from Fox and/or punchy stuff from Nova/Smooth or even Triple M could get them within striking distance by the end of the year. It wouldn’t take much to have all four shows extremely close by the end of the year - it’s certainly happened multiple times over the past 5 years.

Based on what? A Nova press release…? He’s certainly not #1 in Sydney or Melbourne.

#2 nights in Brisbane, #1 nights in Adelaide, #2 FM nights in Perth, lagging in Melbourne but beating Triple M and lagging in Sydney, but so is the whole of KIIS 1065 with exception of Breakfast.

Significantly better results than anything the Thinkergirls did, and hardly my definition of ‘cant rate’.

But sure, cos everyone at SCA hates them, they must be bad huh? :wink:

I mean they’re like last at night in Sydney and still have a bigger share than 2DAY breakfast…

The two of you would be hilarious if you weren’t so transparent :joy:

1 Like

Only after the fact.

Don’t libel me.

What a hypocrite. :joy: Don’t troll me.

1 Like

Well that’s just plain rude, please apologize to @JBar

Are you a KIIS insider? What’s the gossip on Kyle?

R u silly? U said they were on a downward trend… Hardly??? They go down 0.7 and suddenly they’re beaten by Nova and Smooth next survey? Any other absurd predictions… WOw since when was 0.7 a fair amount?, it does nothing to their #1 positon.

When? They were #1 for like one survey- Suddenly that ages?>

Fifi Fev and Byron skew younger than Nova and Smooth Breakfast and neither are close to beating Fox, but Suddenly they’re right behind them because as you say, ‘They had a massive .7 slip’…

Yeh with an 8.4 share, not a sustainable ‘#1

Yes but you were saying Nova/Smooth are #1 next survey after 1 bad survey from Fox ??

Stations that aren’t close to being #1, plus lagging a long way behind Smallzy isn’t good enough to be called ‘a decent break sorry night show’…

Wow they must be good if they can beat Tom and Olly…clap clap

Evidence, truth?

No just can’t stand people saying ‘that they are a good show’ when they can’t rate…They’ve had their time Duncan, KIIS1011 is the new 2Day FM.

Are you the one that wrote this stupid Radio Today article-

They are two different markets, can’t you understand?

Duncan is that you?

Thank you

1 Like

I thought they only had one book at #1?

Feel free to read through my post history. You won’t though, as it doesn’t fit with your made up narrative.

Says the troll :thinking:

Says the SCA insider :thinking:

PS I said if they ever retire. Every radio person has to at some point (and some you wish would have years ago - like Jones or Hadley).

Go read the GFK info before you continue to comment. I don’t think you know very much about how the surveys work.

Work on your reading comprehension dude. I know you get all excited and worked up when someone says something even remotely critical of The Fox, but at least get it right. Nothing you’ve said here is what I actually said. As for 0.7, it’s on par as the biggest drop in Melbourne breakfast this survey. Another 0.7 drop and they’re within striking distance of Nova/Smooth if they have good books. Wait, I feel like I said exactly this just up the page a bit…

Where exactly did I say that…?

Well, they’re doing better than Ash London in those markets :wink: or who is it on nights now…?

But that’s a good show hey because it’s an SCA one, right…?

Survey results? Or are Thinkergirls suddenly a successful show now that a show you hate more is on the scene…?

You sound very bitter :slight_smile:

I’m talking about the Sydney result. Again - reading comprehension. They’re last at night in Sydney and still have a much better share than 2DAY breakfast.

What are your thoughts on 2DAY breakfast, by the way…? I can’t imagine how you could say anything other than

I thought they had like 3…? Could be wrong though.
The point still stands - an older skewed breakfast show does not make it ‘extremely unlikely’ to be #1

It’s all spin, mate. You have an agenda.