Metro Radio Ratings - Survey 5, 2023

agreed - maybe even taking inspiration from BBC Radio 1 and Radio 2 for each respective station (seriously, a Radio 2 format is desperately needed in Australia!)

5 Likes

1 Like

So true ,they’ll never belong on 4BC

3 Likes

That’s the largest share for any station in Perth since S6/2009 (18.5 for Mix 94.5)

3 Likes

Does anyone understand that ARN needs to rebrand KIIS in Melbourne to something more local like 3DB or 3TT. Drop the FM from the name as the station is no longer exclusively on FM, and add more local presenters (e.g., Hughesy and Jo, Matt and Jane or Meshel and Tommy). Also, give the station a mascot that is of a native Australian species as the station needs to sound less foreign.

2 Likes

I reckon that the reason Magic and 3MP are not rating very well is due to the fact that they have FM rivals with a similar format. For instance, Gold 104.3 has a similar format to Magic, but with better sound quality for analogue listeners.

2 Likes

0 of the listeners ARN are trying to get to listen to KIIS are old enough to remember 3DB, and the vast majority of those who remember Double T are on Gold by now. Neither brand is “Melbourne”, they are just historical. Some “Double T throwbacks” instead of the “KIISTORY” stuff, similar to the occasional drops of EON that Triple M do, would be the maximal extent of any brand value ARN could get out of nostalgia for TTFM in Melbourne.

KIIS is doing about as good as they can do without the benefit KIIS Sydney has from their breakfast show. Neck and neck with Nova, and not being lapped by Fox, it’s about all they can hope for. If they were still in the 4-5% range, maybe they would be considering big changes, but what they’ve done in the last few years has seemingly worked.

Weird reaction to one of the better KIIS surveys in Melbourne, if ARN has to worry about a station it’s the tumble that Gold seems to be on, not in danger territory yet but they’ve been slipping.

12 Likes

TV reporting of radio ratings isn’t like it used to be. Barely got a mention on Seven Brisbane’s bulletin. Nova that won didn’t get a graphic though were mentioned as the winner in the RVO. I gather with the performance of 4BC, Nine aren’t interested.

3 Likes

It’s the best result for KIIS 101.1 that I can remember.

Seems to be working well in Melbourne, better than Mix and TT, when there was less competition.

6 Likes

This is the first time 101.1/Melbourne has had three or more consecutive surveys greater than a 7.0 share since the end of 2001.

6 Likes

3 Likes

One of either Magic or 3MP shall leave the Ratings altogether

what for?

5 Likes

WSFM ratings have trend upwards on this survey.
The biggest rise was on Ugly Phil’s 9-1pm show.

2 Likes

I feel WSFM really has the potential to become the ratings success that Mix94.5 once was.

It is a family friendly, safe alternative for listeners in Sydney, with a heritage breakfast show which appeals to multiple demographics. Older, yet not daggy.

3 Likes

Not sure about that. It has always been a bit daggy.

SEN focusing on their streaming numbers in their main PR, particularly for 1116 - which they’re probably glad for the introduction of Radio 360 for, albeit also to show that the streaming market is still a small if increasing fraction of listening over the airwaves, so :man_shrugging:

They also managed to put out a separate presser for the “momentum” of SENQ jumping over the magical… um, 1% mark. (Obviously they mean survey 5 rather than 4 in that.)

3 Likes

Tom Elliot is certainly a force in the Melbourne drive slot. Will be interesting to see if Fox and Nova continue to cede share namely to what appears Gold and potentially Elliot also.

I’d be very careful about shuffling Elliot around to Mornings.

1 Like

that’s what they did to Neil Mitchell, IIRC he was originally on drive then got moved to mornings when Derryn Hinch left/sacked?

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry @TelevisionAU, I’d say @TheStyles83 doesn’t quite understand how radio surveys work.

1 Like