Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 5, 2022

Solid results for 2GB Breakfast today. Who would’ve thought they could still do it post-Jones.

3 Likes

I think I can pinpoint two reasons why the 2DayFM breakfast show has not worked for the last decade:

1. They keep chopping and changing the hosts
  2. The shift is always promoted as a comedy show and it’s not funny

I think if they would address these points, things might change. Have I left anything out?

4 Likes

This survey was split between the old 4KQ and SENQ I’d say they’ve sat this one out as the results would be odd and meaningless and will be back in the next survey.

4 Likes

Safe to say that both 4BC and 4BH will be very pleased (and in 4BC’s case, no doubt relieved too) with these results and will be quietly confident that the results have set the scene for even better results in the next survey as that one will be the first full test of the changes

7 Likes

to an almost zero audience

6 Likes

3 Likes

WSFM Sydney had heaps of declines on this survey.

3 Likes

Great result for 2UE…the little old engine that could. Laser focus by ACE to build back better for Sydney’s grand old dame. Steady and consistent growth and plenty of fine tuning along the way. They research their audience and take on board the feedback … not rocket science. Next target to knock off 2Day in the continued ladder climb.

9 Likes

And so glad 2UE keeps Easy Music focus and didn’t just lurch to a Classic Hits headline like some suggested. They continue to tweak the music log but the Easy Music brand is the way to keep building this baby.

3 Likes

And SEN 0.4 still in Sydney. Well deserved.

5 Likes

And Tim Webster on mornings would be a fantastic bonus.

6 Likes

It was a smart move by 4BC to snap up L,G and M for their breakfast show. I notice 4BH are doing ok so far,obviously picking up ex 4KQ listeners,4BC have also.
I still don’t get why Nova rate No 1 ,maybe it would be different if Smooth were on the FM band here in Brisbane instead of only being available on DAB

5 Likes

Whilst ACE had good results in Sydney and Brisbane, they had a disappointing result in Melbourne.

Magic really needs a high profile breakfast show to bring in more listeners, as the music is great, but they need a lift in breakfast which will help the TSL during workday listening. Possibly they could poach Grubby and Dee Dee or Bridg and Lehmo for breakfast?

4 Likes

Challenge is money to spend, the pay ask for that sort of talent would be above Ace radio’s budget

3 Likes

I tend to think the ACE stations have a tougher job in Melbourne due to the relative strength of Gold in that city. I think a lot of listeners are rusted on to Gold, even older listeners who might actually prefer 3MP or Magic. All the chopping and changing on the AM band hasn’t helped of course.

7 Likes

For sure, and I reckon Smooth as well is making it tough for 3MP and Magic to regain listeners lost from their respective failed talk formats. Added to that, there may be an element of 3MP and Magic both splitting the same audience between them. Not that their playlists are the same but I would reckon there’s a lot of overlap between their potential audiences.

6 Likes

Absolutely, that’s why to cut through, they may need to bring in a high profile breakfast show.

2 Likes

2 Likes
2 Likes

Probably this; SEN sat out the Sydney survey after they switched 2CH over too. Probably doubly makes sense with 4KQ given the owners aren’t even the same in this case.

Kinda figure that it won’t be too much different to SEN Sydney to start with though. I figure SENQ probably has a tiny bit more ratings potential at certain times of the year (as they’re a little less apathetic than in Sydney) but they’d really have to ramp up the local Queenslander content to do so - highlighting QLD talent on shows shared with Sydney probably won’t be enough. On the other hand, it’s likely not cost-effective to do that just to chase half a Brisbane ratings point or so. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes