Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 5, 2019

True, but we still have it in Sydney with 2CH, even though they brand themselves as “Classic Hits”. That said, 70% of 2CH’s audience are over 65 (and yes, that’s a real figure).

2 Likes

Yeah, even though 2CH is positioned as a Classic Hits station I’d probably say their music format still has an Easy Listening edge to it.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens with the demographics in coming surveys, with the battle between WSFM and Smooth for the title of Sydney’s #1 music station being fairly close this time around.

What has 96FM done differently since last survey? Have they gone back to their AC rock format?

2 Likes

7 Brisbane report

The station has appointed Gary Roberts has its General Manager, poached its new Content Director from Nova 93.7 and appointed Botica’s Bunch (formerly from Mix 94.5) for breakfast.

Its positioning statement has been changed to “Real Music”, which its music format is pretty much what you’ve described there. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

…although Dan Underhill hasn’t started in this role yet as he’s still on gardening leave from Nova.

Amazing that ARN will - thanks to their 50% share of 937 - have #1 and #2 overall stations in Perth so soon.

1 Like

Remember when 774 was the jewel in ABC’s crown, their director of radio publicly dubbed Jon Faine “King of Melbourne radio” (tongue in cheek) a few years ago when he was beating Neil Mitchell! Even Red Symons gave Ross and John a run for their money.

They’ve now collapsed like a deck of cards, so much talent has left, let alone everything else that’s been happening at ABC.

5 Likes

Yes they have. Also they have a new breakfast show.

3 Likes

It’s interesting, I don’t understand why Epstein doesn’t rate better, it’s a decent show perhaps at times it’s not newsy enough. Occasionally I flick over to AW and I really don’t get the soft right approach and condescending tone of Elliot. That and ads.

Breakfast after I thought Jacinta and Sami improved a little a few months back have me flicking over to RN more often on the drive to work. Afternoons is no longer must listen since Stubbsy left and whilst I wasn’t a huge fan of Lindy Burns, she is streets ahead of David Astle who would make a lovely dinner guest doesn’t own the airwaves. It will be interesting to see how Trioli resonates with audiences.

3 Likes

Used to really enjoy his drive show for years, he’s great.

It will be interesting to see if the upward trend continues. While sounding similar to pre-ARN 96fm, its still a long way off. Song list very repetitive and a lack of heavier 70’s rock (Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple etc) as well not playing the lesser known stuff they used to.

Breakfast may be a re-run, but its a massive improvement.

3 Likes

I saw Botica’s Bunch advertised on LED fences at Perth’s Optus Stadium during the AFL match between West Coast and Hawthorn on Saturday night. That gives the show a lot of exposure.

2 Likes

Yes it will be interesting. But given it’s ARN I’d be surprised if they get too adventurous with the playlist sadly. Repetition and safeness is their specialty.

2 Likes

The AFL radio ratings in Melbourne were again briefly mentioned in the latest survey. According to the Herald Sun, 3AW put together an impressive survey, highlighted by a big win on Friday nights. Triple M was also happy after meeting its demographic aims.

1 Like

Why won’t they just shift to the Nova Brisbane playlist?

3 Likes

Sydney is still inconsistent, Nova 106.9 lite playlist between 9-12 weekdays, and then back to the safe playlist in all other times.

Looking at the current ratings, there were greater losses in the Arvos then in mornings.
I wonder if the audience is preferring Smallyz playlist more then the regular playlist?

The music on Fox has got better now that it is “hits and oldskool”.

At work we have a DAB+ Radio now so it just sits on Oldskool (noticed lately it has been rebranded as FOX-OLDSKOOL) and I really like it. The music is awesome. Good to see compared to the other DAB stations it rates quite high.

2 Likes