Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 4, 2021

3 Likes

Has this ever happened before?

What an abysmal failure for 2Day. Perhaps Hughesy should concentrate on his failing show, not ranting about ‘Dictator Dan’ and ‘gyms can’t spread COVID-19’ on Twitter.

8 Likes

I am only suggesting this to allow the regional Hit breakfast show to be piped into to 2day fm in its present form. A rebrand will probably cost less then what their current breakfast show costs.

Everything will fail miserably while K&J are on breakfast at KIIS.

2 Likes

Yeah talk about 2DayFM not even trying. If Dave Hughes was invested in the show at all he wouldn’t be trying to turn off half the audience on social media.

4 Likes

A few times since Survey 7, 2014, when both stations were leveled in the ratings.

It has also happened on the following surveys:

S3/2015
S2/2016
S5/2016
S6/2020
S7/2020

3 Likes

This is the largest share for KIIS since S6/1998 and only the 5th survey in double digits for them since signing on in 1994.

4 Likes

This dates back from when 2UW converted to FM as Mix 106.5 back in April 1994.

KIIS absolutely dominates in the 25-39s with a 23.1% share in that demo, well ahead of the other stations (JJJ was 2nd with 13.3%).

5 Likes

PERTH
Triple M’s 7.1 is the lowest for 92.9 since S2/2015 and the 3rd lowest share in the 30 year history of the license.

4 Likes

I don’t believe that Kyle and Jackie O are invincible. Most of Sydney’s kings and queens at breakfast were eventually beaten in the ratings. Few music breakfast show hosts (that I can remember) ever hung up the microphone at No.1

• Rik Melbourne (2UW) ended Ian McRaes decade long run at No.1 in Rik’s first survey (1981)
  • Doug Mulray overtook the lead from Rik and reigned supreme until Wendy Harmer (and later Peter Moon) joined 2DayFM (1994)
  • In 2001 Nova’s Merrick and Rosso ended Wendy and Peter’s eight years at the top.
  • Kyle and Jackie O then ended Nova’s breakfast success.

All of these shows sounded fresh and different when they launched. Mulray was so laid back. Wendy was a female comedian on FM breakfast. Merrick and Rosso? Who? And of course, Kyle and Jackie don’t rely on jokes and sketch comedy and they don’t laugh at each other- how could this work at breakfast?

Kyle and Jackie O can be bumped but not be the mess served up by 2DayFM. I think after six years of trying and a 3.3% survey they may finally realise that “different hosts but same shit” is never going to turn into anything but a 3.3%.

I listen to Kyle and Jackie O but I am not rusted onto 1065 at breakfast. It’s just that the other offerings on FM are either yelling at me (Triple M, Nova, 2DayFM) or sending me to sleep (smooth). Kyle and Jackie O are just being themselves and they make me smile (dare I say they make me feel good). I will move to another frequency if someone else can offer me the same.

6 Likes

Wow, I think this is the first time since the Early-Mid 2000s that a FM music station has received more listeners at breakfast than 2GB?!

I reckon they might come back during Survey #5.

Haha probably, especially now that Alan Jones has moved from 2GB to Sky News!

2DayFM: Sydney’s #10 Hit Music Station! At least they’re not #12 as they have been in the past, thanks to 2CH no longer being available on 1170AM and 2UE still in their latest rebuilding phase…

Maybe Hughesy & Ed would make for a great Melbourne brekky radio team, but they just don’t work in Sydney. Meanwhile Erin Molan probably should just stick to TV!

3 Likes

Triple M Perth’s breakfast ratings are in freefall, I’m still convinced that execs over east just assumed Basil had the same appeal in Perth as Eddie does in Melbourne and assumed they’d get a strong result accordingly.

Can’t see that breakfast team continuing into 2022 at this rate.

12 Likes

That’s correct. The last time this happened was in Survey 2 of 2002, when there was a bit of instability between 2UE & 2GB, when Alan Jones was jumping ship from the former to the latter.

4 Likes

Yeah but Basil wants to be #1 in five years!

:laughing:

5 Likes
3 Likes

NOVA 106.9 IS BRISBANE’S NUMBER 1 RADIO STATION 10+ (10.8% SHARE)

NUMBER 1 BREAKFAST SHOW WITH ASH, KIP, LUTTSY & SUSIE O’NEILL FROM 5:30AM - 9AM (11.8% SHARE)

NUMBER 1 DRIVE SHOW WITH KATE, TIM & JOEL AND FITZY & WIPPA FROM 4PM - 7PM (14.5% SHARE)

NOVA 106.9 IS THE MOST LISTENED TO RADIO STATION IN BRISBANE (624,000 CUME)

NOVA 106.9 IS NUMBER 1 CUME ACROSS THE WORKDAY FROM 9AM - 4PM (371,600 CUME)

Nova 106.9 continued their 2021 winning streak in the latest survey, with results keeping the
station firmly on top in Brisbane.

Group Program Operations Director, Brendan Taylor, thanked the Nova Brisbane team for their
consistency across the first half of the year.

"As we hit the mid-year mark, we’re thrilled with the result today for the team here at 106.9.

"To maintain and hold our position against some strong competition is testament to our working
group.

“The whole team is in such a good rhythm at the moment with some exciting plans to be rolled out
across the coming months.”

1 Like

I know I clutching at straws and these “dab” ratings are not the most accurate it appears.

2CH is number one in the 65+ on DAB. The other age groups not so good. ABC Jazz seem to have done well! Maybe 2Day the Jazz hit station :stuck_out_tongue: .

3 Likes

Kiss 1065 is a colossus. K&J are unstoppable and the music and the overall sound of the station has that ‘being there’ feeling, reminiscent of all great hit music stations.

Gold 104 in Melbourne is doing exceptionally well, with Christian O’Connell dominant at breakfast on FM and strong throughout the day.

Smooth is also a success. Both stations in Sydney and Melbourne are up there and they have a winning formula with their move to a slightly younger audience.

Kudos must also go to 4KQ and Cruise, on AM, doing exceptionally well.

Good result for 6IX. If and when they convert to FM they should see an uplift in ratings, even if they move to a slightly younger audience as a result of moving to FM (i.e. similar format to Smooth).

3 Likes

Nine thought they had the talk radio market cornered when they blew up 2UE. It turns out 2GB listeners aren’t as rusted on as they thought. Too much change with the shift away from conservative voices to TV talent presenting fluff. People were attracted to the newsy topics and commentators with strong, agenda setting views who hold governments to account. It’s no accident there’s a huge switch off in the afternoons. The audience doesn’t want fence sitters presenting Sunrise/Today style topics who are too afraid to express views and allow talkback discussion that might upset certain groups.

2GB had the radio talent to fill the gaps but chose to go with untested TV stars. Michael McLaren, Luke Grant, Chris Smith, George Moore, Steve Price and Jason Morrison would all have appealed more to GB’s conservative audience but they’ve stupidly sidelined the opinionated commentators who resonate.

There’s an opportunity here for a savvy media player to swoop in and sign some of that talent. 2GB would collapse in the same way 2UE did back in the day if they were to sign Jones to help get them established and grab under utilised proven radio talent Sydney listeners are attracted to. Sky News AM Radio, anyone?

12 Likes

There was a rumour a few years ago that News Corp was looking at buying 2UE for that purpose.

2 Likes

How did 4BH go?

1 Like