Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 4, 2016

I think historically election periods can be a plus for ABC and talk stations. Probably more via the baby boomers than anyone else.

1 Like

I think it’s safe to say that WSfm’s music modernisation strategy has been a resounding flop. They’ve pretty much handed the Sydney oldies market to smoothfm.

Not sure what Nova have done to deserve a 1% increase in the city. Probably an anomaly that will be reversed in the next survey.

1 Like

Indeed, even though it was successful during most of 2014, when they were #1 FM for 6 consecutive surveys after they’ve adopted the “Pure Gold” branding. It’s the first time since Survey 8, 2013 (the last survey under Nielsen) that Smooth outrates WS in the 40-54s, because even when Smooth was #1 FM for 2 consecutive surveys last year, WS was still outrating Smooth in the 40-54s.

It’s worth noting that in Sydney, Smooth is the #1 FM station from 9am-4pm weekdays & is the #1 overall station on weekends, with WS only 0.8% ahead of Magic 2CH during the latter! :open_mouth: Down in Melbourne, Gold 104.3 (WS’s sister station) is the #1 FM station from 9am-4pm weekdays, whilst over in Brisbane, 4KQ is the #3 overall station behind 97.3FM & Nova on weekends.

So how can WS stop the rot? Embrace the cheese! It may not be a popular sentiment with the fans of obscure 80s album tracks on here, but Joe Public secretly loves their handbag hits. WS needs to go all power pop from the 70s to early 00s. Sell the upbeat point of difference from Smooth and force the listeners to sing along out loud behind the wheel of their people carriers.

1 Like

I agree with DigiFizz. WSFM has had the same playlist for too many years. It’s “Pure Repeat” compared with smooth’s ability to surprise listeners with music not heard on the other commercial and non-commercial FM stations.

I’m not surprised by that, that 'other stations’is 25% in Brisbane .That would be River 94.9, The Breeze,Rebel and maybe 99.7 from Redcliffe .

And not forgetting 101fm Logan.

Again, 4BC and the station formerly known as 4BH scrape the bottom. 4BC is stuck in the same range it always has been since ditching the real line up end 2013 for a soft bunch of local announcers and then the Sydney imports.

Sure, the Sydney imports keeps the programming on air and costs low but it provides a service rejected by most, their share is lower than the nominal figure usually given for switching on the transmitter.

Time for the stations to be sold for local buyers to fix it.

Sorry forgot about them

I was in a waiting room for a while this morning and they had 97.3 on.They are still bad,playing the same overflogged playlist ,yet they still rate No 1?Apart from this latest survey Nova 106.9 have overtaken them

Radio advertising revenue data has been released for the 2015/2016 year, totalling to nearly $800 million.

Melbourne & Sydney dominated the expenditure, with a whopping near $500 million of the total.

Adelaide saw the largest growth, followed by Melbourne.

All figures were up on the previous.

DETAILS: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/radio-ad-revenue-588-201516