Metro Radio Ratings - Survey 3, 2024

Sky News - not fans

Kyle and Jackie O fail to break top five in first ratings survey since entering the Melbourne radio market

Kyle Sandilands and Jackie O Henderson’s highly publicised entrance into the Melbourne radio market is off to a rocky start, achieving a dismal joint seventh place in the first ratings survey since their launch.

3 Likes
1 Like

Nice result for Triple M Drive with JB & Co, also SEN across the day :man_shrugging:

3AW and 2GB up mostly across the board, AW breakfast still after decades, wow!

Kyle and Jackie O… LOL

Solid for Nova 100 Jase and Lauren. While Ben, Liam and Belle finding their network groove.

Tussle between Gold and Fox, Christian back on top at brekky, while the latter pips Drive.

4BH are almost getting similar ratings numbers as 4KQ did before their demise.

4 Likes

Looks like Nine Radio re-signed Laurel, Gary and Mark too soon.

Why are they persisting with them? They aren’t a news breakfast show. Peter and Sofie are so much better.

2 Likes

tbf 1.0 is the highest it’s rated for months (it got 1.1 in S5/2023)

SEN Sydney has also recorded its highest rating since launch

SEN Melbourne rated its highest in almost a decade

I am no fan of SEN. I never listen to it. But today’s results would give them optimism.

ACE already has 4BH, they don’t need 693. And their experience in Melbourne is showing that the audience just gets split between its two stations Magic and 3MP. Adding a 2nd ACE station to Brisbane would probably just show the same result.

3 Likes

1 Like

Yeah I still find L, G & M on 4BC baffling and illogical.

Perhaps it’s just a way of keeping them off 4BH. I know they own 4BH as well but they clearly prioritise 4BC over 4BH music.

L, G & M on 4BH breakfast (but keeping a more music approach than they had on 4KQ), and then BBQ Bob on mornings would be unstoppable.

2 Likes

Not sure why RadioInfo headlines this result for Perth as volatile. 96fm, Nova and Mix will forever be the top three stations. At at the end of the day it is all about commercial pop music rather than indie / alternative music, which 96fm does better than 6MMM me thinks. It is surprising 96fm trumped Mix, but since I do listen to 96fm I am not surprised, I do like their selection of music tracks (if it is about the music rather than the morning or afternoon “crew”). Too bad Mandurah’s The Wave and Coast don’t reach Perth Metro, they would both give the top three a run for their money (in terms of the music playlists).

3 Likes

As others have noted in the past, Ace run a pretty tight ship and seem to doing rather well without L, G and M. Why pay for three presenters when they have one who is doing the job well enough, delivering them #1 AM in breakfast. The ratings in mornings (also #1 AM) are also showing that what 4BH is doing in mornings is resonating, too.

2 Likes

I disagree. Having a duopoly would give them the opportunity to have a classic hits and an easy music channel. Melbourne is a tough market. Music dominates in Brisbane, whereas Melbourne its mainly AFL and talk. You can see this in SENs results yesterday.

If ACE had Classic hits and Easy listening , I’m sure they’d get a combined share of over 10% in Brisbane, and possibly even Sydney.

3 Likes

I agree. They would increase overall with 2 stations in Brisbane. It wasn’t that many years ago 4KQ and 4BH combined was regularly 13 or 14%.

There’s still an easy listening gap in the Brisbane market.

4 Likes

BBQ Bob has had close a to 50 year career in radio,I think he broadcasts from his home too

1 Like

If Kyle & Jackie O end up failing in Melbourne by the end of the year, then ARN should axe their program on KIIS 101.1 and relaunch the station with a recent classic hits (80s to 2010s) format as 3DB, a name that while has not been in use for over 35 years, is synonymous with Melbourne radio. 3DB’s recent classic hits format would allow it to compete with Fox in the 40-54 demographic. 3TT did reasonably well, but Mix was a fucking disaster in Melbourne.

4 Likes

I don’t think going back to a name last used 35+ years ago would work.
There have been many instances in history where a former call sign has been resurrected (usually by someone new) and it hasn’t worked.
2UW (why anyone would think that’d ever work in Newcastle…even if its online only)
2KA (first as Cool Country, then a tourist info station in the Blue Mountains… not really sounding like 2KA or replicating its success in its glory days - although while I was a fan in the 80’s, many would argue that it wasn’t ever successful!!! LOL)
Is 4AY still broadcasting as a narrowcaster for 4KZ?
Then recently, it was reported 4GG has been resurrected, as well as 3GL. I guess time will tell if they work!

2 Likes

Not for anyone under the age of 60. And even for old people like me, it’s not a brand that particularly resonates as a music station. “in my day” it was largely associated as being a daggy talkback and racing station. It’s a big ask to expect anyone under 60 to give that idea any consideration.

6 Likes
3 Likes

And no media release from 4BC.

2 Likes

They have no studios in Brisbane or Sydney, so yes, all talent based in those cities broadcast from home.

1 Like

The only problem is that I do not know if a completely new name that hasn’t been used before will be able to gain younger listeners.