Metro Radio Ratings - Survey 2, 2024

Melbourne breakfast ratings make little sense. Obviously won’t settle until last survey.

2 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with them using the Triple M branding. The issue is them moving in and out of network music logs. They need to stick with their current format and run it across the board, even when there is networked content. Networked music swings too old for them. The music on 6MMM during the day is awesome. The AFL and other network programming is terrible! You can be a male-skewing radio station without sounding like a bogan/larrikin.

6 Likes

Triple M take top spot from B105 and Nova 106.9 in latest Brisbane breakfast radio ratings

Brisbane’s radio landscape has witnessed a seismic shift as the kings of breakfast radio are dethroned in the latest ratings, out today.

Triple M’s Marto, Margaux and Dan have taken top spot in the battle of the morning airwaves, nudging out reigning leaders Stav, Abby and Matt from B105, and Nova’s Ash, Luttsy and Susie O’Neill.

Might make the TV news even.

2 Likes

Yeah, I initially thought they’d have a bigger result and - like KJ - would’ve brought their audience along with them, but I think they’re at about at the right share and cume.

They’re a great duo with electric chemistry, but you always take one-off spikes and dips with a grain of salt, in this case Survey 8, 2023’s ‘9.1% share’ result. For 2023, they averaged at:

7.6% share
574,000 cume

Looking at the most recent result for Survey 2, 2024:

8.3% share
609,000 cume

So they’re already above where they were last year. And - most importantly for Nova - above what Ben, Liam and Belle averaged at last year:

6.5% share
546,000 cume

2 Likes

I don’t think of Triple M as a coherent brand. They are country music, classic hits, old rock, new rock, sports commentary.

It’s the only brand I can think of that changes according to location.

Cue: Dexys Midnight Runners. Or is it Michael Jackson? Or AC/DC? Or AFL? Make it Billy Ray Cyrus.

5 Likes

Except for Triple M 2000s which does play some great alt / indie rock and dance from the 2000s that Nova used to play.

3 Likes

It won’t matter soon anyway as it will likely be in ARNs stable later this year, who will most likely launch a national log for MMM (hopefully better than the current one).

1 Like

Today on MMM Sydney I heard a mellow easy listening song, sounded more like Smooth FM :joy:

1 Like

2MMM & 3MMM are long overdue for a refresh.

4 Likes

From what I’ve seen reported today, prior to Kyle and Jackie O spoke of their radio victory and Kyle texting Ben Fordham he was a loser, they were talking with a woman from the UK that has two vaginas. Sounds like quite an interesting conversation. Kyle asked her which hole does she prefer to be filled.

Hope Melbourne is ready for this ratings winning content to hit their airwaves.

Honestly I do not know how this shit rates.

8 Likes

I agree. It fails the first test of a “brand”, in that the brand should mean something consistent, and something people can identify what the product is by the brand.

4 Likes

Neither do I. I’ll never understand why people would want to listen to that crap.

2 Likes

4BH is doing great. Personally I don’t think they’ve got the music quite right and think they could do even better if they copied the Breeze FM music log…

3 Likes

ABC Adelaide Breakfast now fourth placed for Breakfast, behind FiveAA, Mix 102.3 and Triple M

ABC’s mornings show also now rating above FiveAA, but tied with SAFM and behind all other commercial stations. Afternoons also above FiveAA, but behind all other commercials.

ABC Adelaide Drive however still last out of all the other local stations, and behind Triple J. However ABC Evenings now fourth placed.

1 Like

4BH are No.1 in the evening and only 0.3% away from being No.1 on the weekend. Damn good.

Also a mention to Brisbane’s SEN as they have doubled their night time audience (from a 0.1% share to 0.2%).

4 Likes

Even the Hit Network is like that. Mix94.5 and 2DayFM certainly aren’t like the other Hit Stations. They have similar elements, but they’re not the same. Which is exactly how Triple M operates (just not very well).

2 Likes

Although in fairness - Mix, 2Day, Fox, SAFM and B105 do not share the same name so the branding is not exactly the same. I expect them to sound different.

I’ve said this before - if Triple M took over McDonalds…In Sydney Maccas would only sell burgers, in Melbourne it would be 100% pizza, the NSW North Coast store would just sell kebabs, Brisbane would be focused totally on vegan Thai food and Perth would sell fish and chips.

And they would be surprised that customers were confused or that the brand did not have a clear identity.

5 Likes

Not without trying. Some years back they attempted to transition Fox by using “Hit 1019 The Fox”, but I imagine the pushback by Melbournians was massive, as it didn’t last too long (my theory anyway).

2 Likes

They went ahead and rebranded B105 and SAFM to the generic Hit 105 and Hit 107 but soon came to their senses and changed them back.

4 Likes

And Triple M regionals would sell tickets to the local RSL raffle, followed by a live band.

3 Likes