Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 2, 2022

It might take a while for them to get traction - it took Smooth a good 4-5 surveys before it go into the 6s and 7s in Sydney back in 2012, so it might be a similar story with 2UE. Also, 2UE has had a lot of formats over the past 3-4 years (talking lifestyle, sport, music), so it may take time to build an audience. I’d be surprised if it’s not rating at least in the 4s by the end of the year as ACE had done a good job with it.

5 Likes

Particularly as both The West and WAToday slammed ABCs Perth’s poor performance / ratings in comparison to 6PR numerous times last year.

2 Likes

Most of the gains for the station were strong daytime ratings - afternoons in general were well up in most places - so I’d put most of it down to their music. Breakfast was up 7k in Sydney and The Edge was down 6k - those seem like fairly poor returns on the investment in bringing them over, or significant wasted potential on display.

To be dropping back though, seems like some are sampling and not liking.

Sports on 2UE/4BH can’t be helping matters, though that doesn’t explain 3MP’s fall back, though I’d listen to Magic any day over it, but I’m not the target audience in the slightest.

5 Likes

Maybe they need Mike E and Emma in the evenings for a boost.

5 Likes

I’d definitely be moving them in.

1 Like

I don’t know if Mike E and Emma would rate much differently from Abbie Chatfield for 2day fm. 2Day skews much older then nights, and Mike E and Emma skews younger again. This would put 2day fm in Nova and KIIS turf which they have been avoiding to a degree.
Yes it worked in the 90’s where you only had Triple M up against 2day / Fox; where the station could play AC and Rock during the day and CHR at night. Now there is more choice of stations and not the younger audience tuning in to radio.

2day fm may find more success if they can do an ARN and insert the 2day fm playlist into the existing show. Re Mike E and Emma I wonder what SCA plans are for them, are they a replacement night show, or future Hit regional / SA breakfast show. They would need to evolve their show massively and remove the sexual content.

And finally Perth it might be time for Mix 94.5 to drop their music log and adopt the more modern Fox / B105 log. Perth has three fm stations skewing older. 96fm and Nova are very dominant, it might be time for Mix 94.5 to have a freshen up and compete closer with Nova 93.7.

2 Likes

I think Abbie Chatfield would skew younger than Mike E and Emma. They’re not as young as you might think they are. :wink: They started on The Edge in 2008 and at Breakfast since 2011. Plus, the older audience is less likely to tune in at nights and so you have to go after some of the younger listeners because there are so many more available at the time of night.

Here’s an article where Mike E slammed SCA, just a few months before he joined them. :rofl:

5 Likes
1 Like

I think there’s a gap in the Sydney radio market for Mike E and Emma at breakfast and Abbie at night. During the day could be CHR with an RnB twist.

3 Likes

So basically the “network” equates to Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. :unamused::roll_eyes:

5 Likes