Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 2, 2018

Yes KIIS sounds horrible, the imaging is more for a MMM style station than a hit music station. It sounds too old. Plus breakfast has fallen out since Matt and Meshel left.

I just wish a Melb station would take a gamble and do something like Hot Tomatoe and give me a station with variety and local announcers that I can put on and leave on without heaps of repeats and the need to flick

1 Like

:roll_eyes: no no, you’re right. You’re the arbiter of good radio. Whatever you think is right and whatever anyone else thinks is wrong.

Doesn’t matter what the ratings say, only Hit network shows are good and every other show is bad :roll_eyes:

:wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:

I wouldn’t think so. People are listening to breakfast and drive radio because they’re in their cars. Sure, google home and streaming allows you to listen to nights at home, but I would think it’s a very small percentage overall. Not enough to make a difference.

1 Like

I’d imagine audience numbers would drop off as the night gets later - so the 7-8pm audience is probably higher than the rating suggest, and 11-midnight lower, but I’d think that would be fairly uniform across most stations so it probably would make much difference on overall share.

4 Likes

Not something to brag about.

Not really, and you wouldn’t know because you haven’t listened and their share is increasing because of strong breakfast shows in Adelaide and Sydney.

Yes it is % share is more valuable then cume

I wasn’t I was just pointing out the fact that KIIS Drive is no better then Ash London LIVE as a general program not by rating going by some of the comments about Ash LIVE previous in this thread.

Don’t call it nonsensical thank you we are not getting personal.

Not necessarily over the long term the effect of the lameness of W and W will hurt KIIS

That’s called Fox

Now you are getting personal calm down

And you’re opinion is quite the opposite because the only show you think is good is KTM, I mean do you even try listening to any other shows>>???

What then do you attribute the share increase in Melbourne to, or the fact that it beats Triple M drive despite Triple M beating KIIS overall in share? What about the fact that they’re almost level with HIT drive in Brisbane?

No, you’re just being silly. But please, keep defending the Hit network. It’s entertaining at least.

Yes. As I’ve said in the past. I’ve tried Will & Woody and I’ve tried Hughesy & Kate. Don’t like either show. But I respect both of their successes, and have the self-awareness to understand that my personal preference on radio show does not mean that other shows are undeserving of success. Ratings don’t reflect the quality of a show, just the popularity of a show. A good show can be unpopular, just as a bad show can be popular. But good and bad are subjective adjectives. Your idea of what constitutes a good or bad show is more than likely completely different to mine. That’s what’s so great about being individuals. We all get to have different ideas and opinions and different likes. But that doesn’t mean that I’m wrong for liking something you don’t, nor does it make me stupid.

I like Jase & PJ, and think they deserve better success than they currently have, but I have no qualms in conceding that their listenership isn’t the greatest - but then I have no vested interest, I guess.
I don’t particularly like Fifi Fev & Byron, and am overall meh about Chrissie, Sam & Browny. I like Fitzy & Wippa and don’t like Kyle & Jackie O. Amanda & Jonesy aren’t really my thing. I like to podcast UK radio shows.

These are all personal preferences. That’s the great thing about radio. We all have choice and we all have options - and the ratings reflect that. Lots of different people like to listen to lots of different things.

That doesn’t mean that one is more deserving of success than the other, and I wouldn’t be as dismissive to suggest that anyone who doesn’t like the shows I do to be ‘stupid’.

It’s radio. It’s passive entertainment. It’s not really worth getting that worked up about. I get it, you don’t like Will & Woody. And yet, they’re #1 drive in Sydney. I didn’t like Hamish & Andy when they were #1 drive. I don’t really get it, and I don’t think I ever will understand the success of their show. But it was successful and many, many people loved and still love them. I respect that. I certainly wouldn’t try and excuse their success on buoyed numbers from breakfast shows.

I know - the world can be a harsh and unfair place sometimes. It’ll be fine. It’s just radio. Surely the whole medium will be dead within 10 years…

3 Likes

Brisbane has nothing to do with this leave them out of it. Hit rates well in Brisbane and has a great drive share. Will and Woody up 0.4 percent is barely an increase it is more of a steadiness of the large decrease at the start of the year.

I will no worries, but please calm down calling me silly is very offence, calm down.

What didn’t you like about H&K that you has to go back to KT&M?? Just curious

How do Jase and PJ deserve a better audience share when they are on a station that can’t get the right demographics for their 3pm show and their drive show. It’s also something to do with PJ’s accent and voice that the people of Melbourne don’t like.

Again i will keep defending the Hit Network as long as you keep abusing it. It seems like every show on Fox or 2Day isn’t good enough for you and you have to go running straight back to Nova where they have zero variety or KIIS where every show appeals to a different audience. How do u not love Fifi Fev and Byron, they are an awesome show and deserve to be #1.

Except for you it’s everything except The Hit Network.

And yet here you are calling me silly

Because of K&J not them, plus I don’t live in Sydney so I don’t care.

What’s you’re reasoning, Oh wait I know they were apart of the Austereo Network, “that” isn’t good enough for you

Yet you understand Will and Woody’s???, and you know why you won’t get it… because you never bothered to listen to a Hit Network Station while Hamish and Andy were doing Drive, so I guess you will be the only person who doesn’t get it and the only person who doesn’t know how entertaining they are.

You wish

:thinking:

What is it with this forum and attracting the strangest apologists for particular media organisations recently?

6 Likes

Sorry, next time I’ll leave out anomalies that don’t fit with your analysis :wink:

You should look into the survey methodology more. Either way, an increase is an increase. Don’t know what the cumes are but there’s still hundreds of thousands of Melbournians listening to Will & Woody on a daily basis. Are they all stupid?

They both sound like they’re past it to me. Like they’re collecting a paycheque and aren’t particularly phased. I don’t really want to hear two people in their 50s talk about their kids, or nothing. I heard a bit where Hughesy’s daughter called in and apparently it was supposed to be funny because he didn’t recognise her voice. Yawn.
KTM at least sound like they’re genuinely having fun and are genuinely there to make good radio. And I share their sense of humour. Don’t get me wrong, I think Hughesy’s stand up is pretty funny, but I just don’t like that show overall. I liked them better than Matt & Jo when they were on breakfast, but even then I struggled with Kate Langbroek. For the same reason I struggled with Andy Lee.

Because being a good show has nothing to do with the station you’re on. I love the Chris Moyles show in the UK, but I don’t like Radio X much. I’d be more likely to listen to Capital or BBC1 than Radio X, but I’d tune in for Chris Moyles.

I like KT&M but don’t like Chrissie Sam & Browny that much.

I don’t know, I thought you were able to like a show independently of the station it’s on? Is that unacceptable? I have to love KIIS if I like Jase & PJ otherwise I’m not allowed to like them?

Also, didn’t know you spoke for the entirety of the ‘people of Melbourne’. I personally am not too phased by the accent. I like the content more than I’m bothered by the accent.

How is not liking their shows ‘abusing [them]’…? I don’t like the show. So what? Sue me.

My reasoning is I found them too fake, and they felt like they were really phoning it in in the more recent years. I thought Hamish was pretty funny overall, but hated the fake laughter, the pre-recorded shows and the forced content.

You know what, I like Stav, Abby & Matt. I liked Bree & Gawndie overall.

I’m not employed in radio, so I have nothing for or against any radio network other than what comes out of the speakers. My personal preference is simply that. It’s certainly not dictated by my employer.

I’m also able to recognise that every person has their own individual preferences, which is why we all watch different tv shows and like different music, follow different sports, buy different cars, like different furniture, find different people attractive and have different hobbies etc.
Personally, I’m not really one to judge those who have different preferences to me…

That’s not what I said. I said I respect their success in Sydney and Adelaide (and Brisbane), in the same way that I respect any show’s success that I don’t like or don’t listen to. As I’ve now said way too many times, I don’t really like the show and don’t listen to it.

Meh. Doesn’t bother me really. As long as there’s good content around, I’m sweet :ok_hand:t2:

3 Likes

It’s an interesting discussion around branding of stations. My two cents worth is that the media companies in Australia are obsessed with brands rather than content. Station brands can stay the same yet evolve over time - as you point out with Fox FM. I also think it was a mistake to ever re-brand TT as Mix in the first place. Just absurd. But it’s probably too late to back. And don’t get me started on FM104 and B105 - both iconic stations that should never have been re-branded.

Look at North America. You’ve got KIIS FM in LA that has been called that since the 1970s for Pete’s sake! It’s a Hot AC/CHR station that doesn’t seem to have suffered just because it’s called the same thing it was over 40 years ago!

There are COUNTLESS other examples of stations in North America targeting younger audiences with nameplates they’ve had for decades!

CHUM in Toronto springs to mind. That was the name of the original AM Top 40 station in the 1960s and 70s and yet they still use that name to this day on the CHR FM station.

Brand changes and conformity across markets is largely an Australian thing, and it’s really dumb IMO.

4 Likes

Don’t disagree and totally acknowledge you can evolve a brand over time. In my opinion, the brand has to match the content. Whereas the media organisations seem to be treating the brand as something to sell to advertisers (as distinct from listeners).

For instance, I still do not understand the SCA strategy of having some “Greatest Hits” Triple M stations and some “Classic Hits” Triple M stations in regional areas - either give stations individual names or have different brands for each format. Maccas don’t have a different recipe for Big Macs throughout Australia for a reason…

3 Likes

There are also plenty of examples of North American stations changing their name to reflect a new format or target demo though as well. Plenty have changed names and even call signs. Look at KBIG for a recent(ish) successful example.

The US is also a very different market, and run radio very differently with callsigns and the like. Callsigns are required to be announced once per hour, and therefore have much more heritage (and potentially recall) than the particular name/branding.

No they aren’t and it’s 430,000 to be exact but all this talk about KIIS is taking away the fact that Fox had a great survey book and they deserve to be the #1FM station and #1 Drive by a long shot.

I understand your H&K point of view though I hoped you gave them a chance, what did Andy Lee do?

Don’t think Melbourne think they are a “good show” where did you get that from?/

Melbourne wouldn’t agree with you on that one

Just going by the survey book as you say I should look into it more??

Ok that’s understandable

Aren’t KTM number 1 in Brisbane??

But they do in different parts of the world. And their menu in Japan is vastly different from their menu in Australia. There are even plenty of differences between Maccas in the US or UK and Australia. There are some similarities of course, but their menu is much more tailored for the local customers. You could make the same argument for local Triple M’s…

Im not saying it was right to blow up heritage brands, but I can definitely see the benefit in aligning names, especially when it comes time to survey…

You never know how much the overlap in branding contributes, or will eventually contribute to survey numbers.
Imagine a Central Coast listener who listens to Triple M Sydney writes or verbalises ‘I listen to Triple M’ for the official survey. There’s a number that would have gone to ‘others’ that now goes to Triple M Central Coast (if/when 2GO change)

1 Like

Wait, so the 430,000 people are or aren’t listening to Will & Woody? Because I mean if that’s their cume, then that’s who’s listening. You don’t have to like it.

Who cares? It would be anomalous for Fox to not have a good survey book

Why? Because you work there?

It’s his fake laugh. I’m sure he’s a lovely guy, but I couldn’t stand the fake ‘radioness’ particulrly of Andy, but of the show in general. That’s what I mean when I talk about KTM. They’re genuinely laughing and having fun, rather than forcing it like pretty much everyone else. And if it’s not genuine, it’s the most real sounding fake fun I’ve ever heard.

Do you read answers or do you just try and push an agenda…?

I’m saying liking a particular show has little or nothing to do with the station it’s on. I can podcast Jase & PJ because I like them and never listen to KIIS.

Having success or being successful in a market does not have to mean that you’re #1. Will & Woody are almost on par with Hughesy & Kate in Brisbane. If they’re so terrible, how could that happen…?

1 Like

Fair point. Maybe its a matter of expectations (or my expectations!). I think of a brand as essentially summarising the “promises” of a station (supplier etc). What promises are important will no doubt vary by person, hence brands mean different things to different people, and yes these evolve over time. Do I expect brands to be the same within a country - yes. The same between countries - not necessarily. But that’s just me.

Can brands be stretched? - absolutely, hence all the DAB stations under the Triple M banner. It is successful - probably to a point. However if you try say “Triple M Easy Rock”, the name just sounds wrong. Rather than stretching too far, just use a different brand.

As for the survey benefits, I think it depends on how much the advertisers are local v agency (as I’ve always understood the main driver for surveys is to convince advertisers to spend dollars with Station X)… The more it is agency driven, probably the more benefit - coz they won’t understand the content differences… The local advertiser, such as the car yard in Bendigo is however going to have a greater feel for 3BO/Triple M v Star/Hit v Gold1071 and relationships with local station sales staff.

I would say that having regional Triple M’s kinda detract from the idea of Triple M being a big station, and I’d also say you’re right to an extent.
But I’d suggest the other benefits outweigh it. Imagine being able to sell a national advertiser spots on every Triple M in the country, and they’ll more or less know exactly what they’re getting.

Imagine the savings of being able to hub imaging - doing one national promo for ‘Triple M’ rather than 150 local promos. Being able to pay only one voice over, rather than one in every market. Being able to have network shows and football say Triple M and have it sound local and appropriate.

You could hub announcers the same way DMG used to hub Star out of Albury.

I think there are many benefits to a network of stations having the same name. And honestly, Triple M being such a big brand in itself probably helps to rub off some ‘starpower’ onto the smaller stations.

To be completely honest, I’d prefer to see all stations programmed locally with 24/7 local programs and names that fit the market. But of course it isn’t to be :woman_shrugging:t2:

Although, the smaller stations and towns are probably better serviced overall having a top notch networked show that they can still interact with and call up for, rather than two kids out of radio school on $35k each…
As long as there’s a local announcer on standby for emergency situations.

3 Likes

No because they don’t network Greg Burns and DC from Sydney into a daytime shift that is meant to be local. And IMO H&K are a great show, done the hard yards trying to get listeners across and have successfully done that with Fox and hopefully Hit and 2Day will receive more listeners in Drive in the next coming surveys.

How does their podcast sound??? I’ve heard it is made up of stupid 10 minute long intros that just talk about how Jase is a hot head, no offence to Jase but just saying he sounded a lot better as Lab with Stav and Abby all those years ago.

Yeah almost but as you say an increase is an increase and a decrease is a decrease so in that case H&K increased in this survey and W&W decreased so after last surveys 0.5 difference that will be the highest and closest W&W will ever get to H&K in Brisbane and yeah not almost on par I mean a 0.9 difference is a big difference to you as 0.4 is a big increase,

It will never happen

H&K themselves did that or their support and PR teams did…?

Their podcast is fine. Maybe take a listen to it one day. An objective, unbiased listen, rather than one aimed at attack. I podcast Chris Moyles every week and they do a 25 minute long rambling intro and a 5-10 minute outro. I love it. Not everyone will. Again - different tastes and all that. I like Jase & Pj. I don’t have to like KIIS to like their show. Their podcast sounds like any other radio station podcast plus they do a behind the scenes intro before each one. :woman_shrugging:t2: You might like it, you might not.

We’ll see. I don’t really care to be honest. As I’ve continued to say throughout this entire discussion - I don’t like nor listen to the show.

All I’m saying is, just because they’re in competition with you and just because you don’t personally like them doesn’t make them a bad show. As evidenced by their ratings.

I don’t really care man, I couldn’t care less about their show to be honest. I just find it funny that you call hundreds of thousands of people stupid for listening to a show you don’t like for a seemingly arbitrary reason, but people who listen to your shows aren’t stupid even if the reason they did so was similarly arbitrary.

When Fox are #1, it’s well deserved and hard-fought, but when KIIS 1065 are #1 it’s because of stupid people :thinking:

It’s just funny.

2 Likes

Is that the way you listen to their podcast??? Because I’m not dumb enough to listen to a podcast’s show that only rates a 5

Not in competition with me at all as I loved them in Perth with Heidi but I personally wouldn’t have put them in a drive show position in 2018. I personally do like them as people and I never said the word “bad” to describe their show.

Don’t call me your “man”

I never said the word “stupid” but right now I would describe you as that

No reason just don’t think their show is funny

I don’t have any shows so how would that be similarly arbitrary ???

So right now you are calling Kyle and Jackie O stupid, I never said anything about KIIS1065. Harsh to call them stupid, I think they know what they are doing after all they consistently rate #1FM

Funny as a funeral buddy