Metro Radio Ratings - Survey 1, 2024

Nothing left to burn in Brisbane, any good talent long burnt years ago.

1 Like

@crankymedia why the laugh?

1 Like

I suspect this is just an error owing to Nova Nation being added to Brisbane DAB, not actual ratings for that station in streaming. Melbourne for ages had a phantom “RSN Extra”, which didn’t match any of their stations - they were “RSN Carnival” at the time, while “X Digital” in Perth stayed in their ratings after it stopped airing.

(as an aside, when I checked my old post to confirm my memory, noticed the old ‘radioalive’ website the ratings were posted on is now a parked domain, you’d think the radio industry could afford a redirect…)

Vindication for the SCA strategy in Perth - they managed to focus Mix and then use Triple M to target a totally different market segment, the blip for them I think is the typical Hottest 100 bump to JJJ, I think 92.9 has targetted the JJJ listener who doesn’t want all the hip hop pretty perfectly. I suspect most of that will come back to them.

MMM in Melbourne I find amusing, suspect they’ll drop back a % or so once the footy coverage returns in the next survey.

With Magic/3MP - I think again really that Magic’s problem is the name - not in the “bring back 3XY” sense, but just that to Melbourne audiences, Magic means the dreary hits and memories format they ran before the Talking Lifestyle experiment - I think you need a name change or a big drive with music based promos for the station. I’ve seen some outdoor ads, but they need TV - get Nine to comp them some.

3MP’s lunch was eaten by Smooth - they would need a bunch of promotion to get them back - there’s the opportunity with how rough Smooth has become. Outdoor probably would work, as people know what to expect from 3MP, just need to know it is back.

ABC Local is a disaster, Brisbane especially, though weird 4BC just can’t make inroads. The tone shift from breakfast to daytime can’t be helping, but their Drive being one of their weakest shifts and going backwards, while ABC is at their lowest daypart. The only potential excuse I can see is the ABC’s oversized share on the streaming ratings - if it could just be the AM signal starting to bite - though ABC 774 is the only one that beats the tram lines for me, so it can’t fully be the reason.

Speaking of dayparts - a good focus for 97.3 is that Evenings is 4BH’s best slot, clearly showing that they’ve got the music skew wrong - they are leaking listeners in those older demos, to attempt to get scraps of a younger audience that Nova and B105 are both firing on all cylinders for.

I wonder how Vision is doing in the DAB ratings, I wouldn’t be surprised if that shot up to near the top, given how hardcore that audience is.

1 Like

ABC’s new Adelaide lineup has crashed

• Dead last out of all the local radio stations
  • 3rd lowest rated Breakfast program (Sonya and Jules)
  • Lowest rated local Mornings program (David Bevan)
  • 2nd lowest rated local Afternoons program (Nikolai Beilharz, who rated better than former Breakfast co-host Stacey Lee on FiveAA),
  • Lowest rated local Drive program (Jo Laverty, Triple J even got better ratings in this slot)
  • Lowest rated local Evenings program (Jason Chong, who replaced Peter Goers, went from Number 1 to being behind FiveAA, both are behind Triple J in evenings as well)
  • Lowest rated local station on weekends (Deb Tribe and Spence Denny, behind Triple J again)

Wonder if changes will be made in 2025 if ratings don’t improve

1 Like

This is what happens when you blow up the entire station like there’s no tomorrow.

Meanwhile Mix breakfast has sneaked up to 3rd place (still not great given they were first back in the Jodie and Soda days) but there’s still work to do to overtake 5AA and Triple M.

3 Likes

I’m only guessing but I suspect the last time that 2UE beat both 2DayFM and 2MMM was in the 1990s!

Well done 2UE. If you get the music right, the ears will follow.

Bill Clinton once famously said “it’s the economy, stupid”

In the case of radio “it’s the music, stupid”

4 Likes

Nine’s news reports were focused on the performance of their talk stations.

Brisbane’s was a glowing report on 4BC’s performance that ended with a line stating that B105 had won over MMM.

Sydney’s went into more detail of 2GB’s wins. It mentioned KIIS was the top FM station.

1 Like

Should of kept Nikolai on Breakfast, and move Sonya to join him, or just Sonya solo. Jo could of done Afternoons, and they should of gotten Leigh Radford to do Drive, with Jules going to evenings.

2 Likes

“4BC with 6.5% (-0.1)” - they jumped, up in the air and landed just behind where they jumped from…

3 Likes

It’s no error. 102,000 Cume is impressive for streaming in Syd/Mel and DAB/ streaming in Brisbane for their first survey. Nova might be testing the waters to gauge the market for a possible launch of Nova Nation later down the track in Sydney and Melbourne, on DAB. Will be interesting to see.

The overall numbers for streaming/ DAB are staggering: 4 stations with over 300,000 listeners and another 11 stations with over 200,000 listeners (both listening via DAB and streaming).

1 Like

It’s a great result for 2UE and 4BH. Imagine what ACE could do if they had 2CH and 4KQ.

5 Likes

Why not include it in Perth and Adelaide then - people can stream in all markets?

It would probaly be a big slight on DAB if a streaming only station was ranked 20th of 38 stations in Melbourne, while the DAB and Streaming in Brisbane ranked 18th of 31 stations. That should show they shouldn’t launch it on DAB, that all their audience is streaming…

2 Likes

Agree with you, thumbs up, however a mistake with the adjacent emoticon of the laugh.

Many results this survey have been a good laugh, big fluctuations, lots of research irregularities.

1 Like

In a way it’s a good thing they don’t, because you’d have the issue of how to program 2CH and 4KQ so they don’t compete with 2UE and 4BH. The risk is they’d get it wrong on both stations.

4 Likes

Outdated wallpaper vision on the Brisbane coverage, Neil Breen as photographed in the pre renovation 4BC studios.

2 Likes

When 4KQ still existed ,I’m sure my fellow volunteers in the Wacol RSPCA laundry room who are of a similar age to me would have been listening to them because now they listen to 4BH.

3 Likes

Maybe Rita thought she should’ve been considered by AW.

1 Like
2 Likes

ha! can you imagine

1 Like

It would be logical for them to go back to the future: easy listening classic hits for 2CH and 4BH (possibly share the same playlist as 3MP) and more up tempo classic hits/ classic rock for 2UE and 4KQ.

2 Likes