Metro Radio Ratings - Survey 1, 2023

That suggests despite the move from 3AW to SEN, most of Sportsday’s audience made the shift as well - something I didn’t think would happen to that extent.

2 Likes

Surely that means a close second overall, not to SEN’s offering in the timeslot?

3 Likes

Exactly! Even if 97.3 or 4MMM pivoted a little older/softer and focused on being full-time music stations, just imagine where they could be!

FM104 with a rock-based greatest hits format, similar to the UK’s Greatest Hits Radio (or even Gold/WS) with some newer stuff thrown in, but solely focused on the music and de-boganed, OR;

Smooth 97.3 would be unstoppable.

Either would be a clear No. 1 in the market. As it stands the four FM stations in Brisbane just bounce around at a 10% or 11% share each.

When you’ve got Gold 104 getting a 12% share in Melbourne and Smooth in Sydney on 11%, how can the operators of 4MMM and 97.3 not get it?

6 Likes

Just noticed Smooth FM is No. 1 in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide on the DAB+ only ratings. Well deserved.

6 Likes

Radio Info is showing the breakfast shift cumes. It’s really interesting. Kyle and Jackie O have twice the listeners of Ben Fordham, but not double the share at breakfast. Ben’s listeners tend to listen to him for a long time.

In overall cumes (and not just breakfast), the Fox is No.1 in Australia. If only they could get their listeners to tune in for longer.

On another note, I note that Mumbrella, Radio Today and Radio Info tend not to publish comments from the public or industry on the ratings. This gives MediaSpy an important role on ratings days.

3 Likes

I agree re: MMM. EONFM in Melbourne was similar. A modern rock format playing album versions of songs and was non-bogan. I remember holidaying in the Gold Coast in the mid 80s and most young people were listening to either Stereo 10 or FM104.

5 Likes

If I was ACE GM Mark Taylor I would get massive TV advertising campaigns for both 3MP and Magic pushing “Melbourne’s home of easy music” (3MP) and “60s and 70s music are back on Melbourne radio” (Magic). Both are quite unique formats and it’s a shame both are losing in the ratings.

8 Likes

its amazing what you can do when you spend money. Ive seen adverts for smooth in Brisbane on Busses, in bus shelters, on youtube and in the cinema. add to that some local DJ’s and they are on a winner

7 Likes

Yeah it’s really interesting. When I worked in talkback we’d all go on about how it’s useless to have a giant number of listeners if they’re only listening for a few minutes here and there (think of a giant stadium where everyone’s walking in and out, going to the car park for a smoke, eating in the corridors VS a smaller theatre where everyone’s captivated by the performance and listening to ever single word).

But then when I worked in FM, we’d all say it’s better for 500,000 people to know you ‘sort of’ well rather than 200,000 people who know you well.

6 Likes

it’s easy to suggest to throw money at a problem and spend a fortune on advertising, but someone has to foot the bill for that, and I gather ACE hasn’t got the budget for a big media spend like that – and it would have to be a massive investment, not just one or two ads here and there, to have any hope of a significant lift in ratings.

3 Likes

3MP and Magic are a bit dissapointing.

2UE is doing quite well by comparison and as we know 4BH is blitzing it.

A few factors at play I guess. 4BH had the substantial 4KQ audience handed to them and they’ve promoted it fairly well, although still they haven’t thrown huge promotional dollars at it either.

Perhaps the popularity of 3AW and even Gold are a factor in Melbourne more so than the competition in Sydney.

The fragmentation of the audience between 3MP and Magic doesn’t help either.

They probably just need to give it time.

TBH if I were ACE I would focus on building 4BH and 2UE even more and consolidate their positions first. Give the Melbourne stations a bit more promotion sure, but just give it time.

3 Likes

Wow that 4BH result is impressive - they really grasped a golden opportunity and programmed well. Disappointed 6MMM hasn’t done amazing, but I think they might gain a decent chunk once Triple J settles back. Being bold and trying stuff is something Triple M needs nationally, so hopefully they keep giving it time, and don’t go back to a bland Greatest Hits format and sound just like 96.

On DAB, gotta love the “SEN Sydney” in Melbourne, a station that has been playing “Dream Radio”, just a loop of ambient noise has resulted in a ratings boost…

Smooth Perth is huge, obviously can’t directly translate cume to share, but seems like they would be about 3%, between Classic and 6IX if measured against the analogue stations? Very good for DAB.

5 Likes

Oh yes… the Hide and Seek game generated some excitement on social media but didn’t help the station’s breakfast ratings overall.

3 Likes

It was a great result for Nova overall in Brisbane as they were #1, #2, and #3 in the Brisbane DAB ratings, as well as Nova being #1 FM.

2 Likes

More advertising will definitely help them, but this should be coupled with a high-profile breakfast show on Magic IMO. Having a strong breakfast show will boost cume and give them a lift during the day.

It’s a great format in a highly competitive market, so it needs something bold to lift it from a 1 share.

1 Like

2MMM is beating 2GB at Drive.

Wow.

4 Likes

Pensioners are having Dinner between 4 and 6. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Historical notes: This is the largest share and first #1 for KIIS/Mix.
If you include the history of 2UW, this is the largest share for the outlet since 1982 and first #1 since 1975.

5 Likes

I was a regular 774 listener until Trioli went on leave. I’d put her show on and the radio would end up staying on through to the end of Drive. Ali Moore is a shocker so I stopped listening. As a result, haven’t listened to 774 Afterwards or Drive since either. Doesn’t help 774 conversation hour is incredibly tedious and painful radio.

Hopefully VT can get back soon. Otherwise, they need to find another fill in.

3 Likes

2UW also hit No.1 in 1981, as The New 2UW took Sydney by storm and it shared the spot with 2UE.

3 Likes