MediaSpy User Demographics

Yeah I would say I lean on the side of being a spender for sure. I can save when I put my mind to it for special occasions/holidays or whatever otherwise I tend to live in the moment.

Pay via debit card for almost everything. Used a credit card a couple of years ago but loathed it.

I tend to be pretty tight with money.

I really have to convince myself I need it before I buy.

I could easily afford to spend more though.

For the Sydney/Southern NSW and Melbourne/East Victorians here:

• Princess Highway
  • Princes Highway

0 voters

It’s really frustrating that so many people hoard these new coloured $2 coins. I swear that never used to happen with commemorative coins before in Australia.

A cousin once saved over $1,000 by keeping any commemorative 50¢ coins. She’d started quite young.

1 Like

yes it did. I know I used to keep the 50c coins as I got them. The novelty wore off after a while so I decided to use them

Same. My dad started it and gave me and my sister one of each up until the 90s. The only one I’ve kept now is the round 50c from 1966.

My elderly neighbour has every commemorative coin since 1966 and whenever a new one comes out, he knows about it and asks me to keep an eye out in my change. If I find it, I take it over to him because he doesn’t get out as much these days.

3 Likes

I’ve got close to a hundred dollars in 5 cent coins parked away as I don’t use them.

1 Like

I can confidently say I haven’t purchased anything with cash in at least 6 months, I don’t ever carry it or have any with me, I also don’t carry cards with me either. Every single purchase I make is done through Apple Pay on my iPhone. I have two accounts setup with Apple Pay, one personal that I use for my own spending, and another joint account that my partner and I both have on Apple Pay on both our phones that we use for all shared expenses.

On the few rare occasions that I come across a store that has an EFTPOS minimum or uses cash only, I simply don’t shop there… if they won’t accept my money in the way I wish to give it to them, they clearly don’t want it that much.
Honestly though, it’s very rare for my to find a store like this nowadays.

I tend to be a bit of a spender and a bit of a saver with my money.
I have a budget setup which allows me to do a bit of both.
Each payday I have automatic transfers that distibute my pay, first to cover rent/household expenses, then set aside a weekly allocation for future upcoming bills/expenses, then a transfer to the joint account to cover groceries, eating out, entertainment, etc., then personal spending money for myself, then I still usually have about $1,000 left over that goes straight into savings. The budget well and truly covers everything I need, and really is “set and forget”.

2 Likes

I’m the same, even moved most of my day to day banking to ANZ just for Apple Pay. I do still keep some cash around though in case of emergencies or major IT meltdowns - $20 in the back of my phone case and a few hundred in a drawer at home.

1 Like

Happy to keep using cash for incidental stuff but will use cards or eftpos for anything more significant just because i don’t carry too much cash just enough to cover the small stuff.

Some shops like my barber still do cash only and that’s fine.

Also on the rare occasion i call for a pizza or chinese home delivery, they don’t do cards.

1 Like

Does your bank have a coin deposits ATM you can dump them into?

If I was ever desperate to, yes.

I don’t really follow the AFL that much but if I was forced to pick a team, I guess I’d go for the Swans.

I don’t really like the Eels, Sea Eagles or Bulldogs. Fairly neutral opinions about most of the others.

As for State of Origin, LOL at the poll results with predominately NSW-based members going for their home state and Queensland being supported by everyone outside of the state! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

The A-League Grand Final was…

• Rigged in Victory’s favour
  • Fixed in Victory’s favour
  • Pre-determined in Victory’s favour

0 voters

Does anybody care about the A League?

• Yes
  • No
  • I just watch it for the Toilet Seats

0 voters

1 Like

I actually know two fairly prominent young soccer players from my high school, both from about 4 years below my grade.

One of them is currently playing for Melbourne City and another one (who is much more prominent) is signed to an Italian Serie A team.

It was always a bit weird to see the Les Murray making comments about these guys on their personal Facebook posts.

I don’t really take much interest in professional soccer, but it’s kind of freaky to know that I occasionally interacted with these very talented (and now somewhat famous) people.

3 Likes

Likewise, I was in the same year 8 class as a now very famous Australian cricket player who now wears the baggy green. It’s amazing seeing him on the TV screen and knowing I sat right next to him for a whole semester in class.

2 Likes

Nobody famous that I’m aware of that went to my primary or high school but I know back in the day my primary school loved to brag that Ben Cousins went there some years prior. Can’t imagine they mention that to the students any more…

5 Likes

I know someone who used to share some stories of Matthew Richardson at school and apparently getting pushed into some lockers by a group of girls at one stage.

I was born in the same hospital as Gary Lyon, it was featured on The Footy Show a couple of years ago by Sam Newman in its dilapidated state, it finally only got knocked down a couple of months ago after lying vacant and being vandalised and homes to squatters for over 20 years.

2 Likes